Picking up Sticks

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Picking up Sticks

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am

Azul wrote:
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:...back before Unleashed, SoJ seemed to love introducing at least one new character almost every game, but they haven't been able to do that in years.

Not counting Generations, they've introduced at least 6 new characters per game since Colors.

when I say "characters" I'm referring to ""mobians,"" not Cubot or the Deadly Six or the Wisps or whoever else you might mean. none of those are featured on the Sonic Channel site, but Sticks is, and without any Boom-related context
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
the "lolrandum" humor they threw in that people seem to enjoy for absolutely no reason.

Ok can I go off on a Tangent here? Every Cartoon that has ever existed has had "lolrandom" humor.

See The Majority of Courage The Cowardly Dog as an example. Ed, Edd & Eddy was more or less "Stream of Consciousness" the series. Why is it only Modern Cartoon that get crapped on for this?

Because modern cartoons are lazy and use it as their primary source of humor. I'm sure it can be traced back to Gir, but at least Gir had a purpose in the narrative of the story as a whole. What purpose does Sticks have to be an absolute jerk to all of her friends, except to get the audience to hate her?

I'm guessing you don't actually watch a lot of modern cartoons.

EDIT: I am not sure where you get the "lolrandum" from Courage the Cowardly Dog. Might you wish to provide examples?

Does anyone remember the episode where Courage was trying to be perfect and a Bathtub Lizard tells him there's no such thing and the later they eat it? If that's not Random I don't know what is.

Courage was a Horror Comedy, so weird things should happen in that scenario.

It's okay as long as the show is already weird? Then you've completely contradicted your own argument as most comedy cartoons in general are suppose to be weird.

It would not be natural for either that or E, E, n E, to have a scene where a judge, who is actually in cahoots with a villain of the episode, suddenly declare "time for a dance party!"

Okay I'll grant you that. But (from what I remember. It's been a while) there were still tons of odd random moments like anything involving Johnny.

A Sean Connery-sounding Snowman acting like a Bond Villain makes sense, because Connery played Bond.

What about the time Courage, Eustace and Muriel were enslaved by a space robot that talked like Christopher Walken? What does Walken have to do with Space Robots that whittle Reindeer?

The episodes where the Eds break reality was a one-time thing, and even when things go horribly wrong in Regular show there is LOGIC behind it. I mean even in the pilot Skips and Benson warns M and R that Rock Paper Scissors was an evil game, so when a black hole opens after they make 100 ties, that is not out of nowhere.

And Adventure Time has an internal logic too. The Ice King's crown has rules. It drives it's wearer insane overtime and appears to make the wearer slightly psychic since Simon had a dream that related not only to the Crowns origins but a coming disaster.

Magic Man came out of nowhere at first and turned Finn into a foot. Okay Random but it was explained later on in detail why Magic Man was the way he was.

And if you honestly can look me in the eye and say Steven Universe is lazy I'll call you a liar right to your face.

Honestly the only shows that rely on Random humor at the expense of any plot whatsoever (On Cartoon Network anyway I stopped watching most non-PR and TMNT stuff on Nickelodeon) are Uncle Grandpa and Teen Titans Go. These are shows that I believe actively despise their audience. There is no plot to either of these shows and I don't mean long winding arcs I mean self contained episodic plot. It's just...stuff.

I suppose you could say Sonic Boom is the same way but I can at least tell they're trying to tell stories. They're one and done stories of old but they're still stories.

Fun ones too. Look at my reviews on here they almost always start with "That was fun" because that's all the show is trying to be. Sure the humors not for everyone. Comedy is Subjective. but that's how I see it. Honestly I find it kinda silly how people get so worked up over this show.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Azul » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:37 am

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Azul wrote:
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:...back before Unleashed, SoJ seemed to love introducing at least one new character almost every game, but they haven't been able to do that in years.

Not counting Generations, they've introduced at least 6 new characters per game since Colors.

when I say "characters" I'm referring to ""mobians,"" not Cubot or the Deadly Six or the Wisps or whoever else you might mean. none of those are featured on the Sonic Channel site, but Sticks is, and without any Boom-related context

Then you should have said mobians from the start even though simply being anthro doesn't make one any more or less a character. And while I don't have any means of translating Japanese, its not as if Boom has to be referenced to describe her character. Rush is hardly mentioned in Blaze's bios.
Besides, Sticks is the only main character from Boom who is entirely original. It makes sense that she represents Boom in crossovers. And she, along with Sonic [T]oon are getting butt loads of publicity.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:42 am

Azul wrote:
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Azul wrote:

And while I don't have any means of translating Japanese, its not as if Boom has to be referenced to describe her character. Rush is hardly mentioned in Blaze's bios.

false equivalency. Rush isn't a separate franchise so that wouldn't be relevant
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Azul wrote:
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Azul wrote:

And while I don't have any means of translating Japanese, its not as if Boom has to be referenced to describe her character. Rush is hardly mentioned in Blaze's bios.

false equivalency. Rush isn't a separate franchise so that wouldn't be relevant

Fair enough but my point still stands. Besides, all of the new characters mentioned are either one shots, or don't have a very big impact on the plot in the long run.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:15 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Honestly the only shows that rely on Random humor at the expense of any plot whatsoever (On Cartoon Network anyway I stopped watching most non-PR and TMNT stuff on Nickelodeon) are Uncle Grandpa and Teen Titans Go.

I can't speak for Uncle Grandpa, because I've only ever seen (and greatly enjoyed) the Steven Universe crossover, but I'm pretty sure their cited contempt for their audiences are not even remotely the same.

It's also what makes Teen Titans Go the smartest cartoon on TV and the most logical, thematically appropriate sequel to the Glen Murakami show.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Sparky » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:22 pm

Mordum wrote:

It's also what makes Teen Titans Go the smartest cartoon on TV--

wut.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Guys there's really no need for examples just to see if Sticks is capable for the main continuity. I've already vote yes cause her talents are useful besides her silliness.

I see some or a few dislike the FF option while others nodding at the Silver's part.
Spoiler: show
If this option makes it better she can be associated with the FF cause Sticks rather work alone than be in a crowded faction.

Mighty's group seems fine in my opinion, but with that spotlight of hers. Helping the FF from the shadows more like a lone wolf style is more appropriate. If they need her support she'll come.

The other alternative she can be in an established group already she formed herself.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby The Jazzyman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Ian Flynn can be good with Sticks. However, I agree that she shouldn't appear too often.

She should live out in the forest in the middle of nowhere. Due to people's perception as a crazy person, they'd only go to her as a last resort.

I would also find it funny if one day in a story Sticks is stuck having to work together with the Hooligans to have some interaction between Bean and Sticks, but just once.

btw I think she should stay away from the games, but I know that won't happen.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby Arkus0 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:13 am

I don't really mind Sticks. She's an interesting concept and on her best moments she can be funny and down right adorable (The Awardy Award episode), and at her worse a screeching, obnoxious, jerk. While I'm fine with seeing her in the Boom cartoon and games, I wouldn't want her to show up in the main series comics unless its for a crossover (and even then would rather the other Boom cast to appear with her).
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Mordum wrote:
The KKM wrote:
If she's brought over, have her be the supporting cast of someone else. Silver. Pair her with Silver, that'd be fun, a conspiracy theorist and a time traveller, think of the plots that could make.

This guy knows what's up.

She strikes me more as a Blaze character... and not just for the Marine resemblance.

Then again, if Lupe's tribe weren't exclusively wolves... (not that even that has stopped them before)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The KKM » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:22 am

Yes, but see, again

A time traveller and a conspiracy theorist together

Also, there's no bit puzzle to Sticks' Sonic Channel appearance. All signs point to Sonic Team being very partial to characters they themselves created or at least designed. Sticks was designed by Sonic Team and finalised by Bob Rafei. So they're partial to her.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Hm...I like the Silver & Sticks idea, but I thought of two other scenarios(spoiled for reasons):

1. Sticks could be an inhabitant of Angel Island(with Knuckles & Relic not knowing until later on).

2. Sticks could be an acquaintance of Moss, Moss introduces her to Mighty & Ray, some plot about an EggBoss taking over the area, The trio team up, get into crazy hijinks, save the day, & become a team (much to Moss's delight & Mighty's dismay, because Sticks would occassionaly test his patience & it would take everything he has to not throw her to the moon.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:29 pm

The KKM wrote:Also, there's no bit puzzle to Sticks' Sonic Channel appearance. All signs point to Sonic Team being very partial to characters they themselves created or at least designed. Sticks was designed by Sonic Team and finalised by Bob Rafei. So they're partial to her.

like I said in my initial post, I dunno the details of how Sega works internally so I was just hypothesizing. I actually had no idea Sonic Team designed Sticks, so yeah, it makes plenty of sense for them to ignore Sega of America and do whatever they want with her
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:22 pm

The KKM wrote:Also, there's no bit puzzle to Sticks' Sonic Channel appearance. All signs point to Sonic Team being very partial to characters they themselves created or at least designed. Sticks was designed by Sonic Team and finalised by Bob Rafei. So they're partial to her.

Do you happen to know who designed Orbot and Cubot and the Deadly Six? It struck me as odd that Sticks got a page before them but if they were designed by other teams that would explain it.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius