Picking up Sticks

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Picking up Sticks

Postby scourge188 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:30 am

Sticks seems to have gotten pretty popular. She appears outside of Boom material more frequently. I wonder if Sega plans to incorporate her into the main universe. She also appears on the Sonic Showdown page which I noticed as well that Marine was not on that list. The showdown is definitely a way to gauge what the Sonic user base likes since Sonic himself is not on the bracket as he is not needed. What do you guys think of Sticks joining the main Sonic universe if that ever came to be?
scourge188
BumbleNewbie

Re: Picking up Sticks

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:41 am

Sticks is awesome, so absolutely.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Tonberry2k » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:47 am

Sticks isn't terrible. I wouldn't mind her showing up in the main book at some point. The Freedom Fighters are getting a bit bloated as-is, however, at 10 members and counting, so I don't know what we could really do with her.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:51 am

It's more along the lines of Sega forcing people to accept her. If the Boom franchise completely goes under (Which it will, give it a year or so) then they don't want all that work on an original character to go to waste.

One-dimensional characters only really work if they're funny. Big is so ridiculous that he's actually funny. Sticks's gimmick gets old really, really fast. So no, I want her to join the ranks of characters we'll never see again save for the comic, like Marine and Bark.

Mordum wrote:Sticks is awesome, so absolutely.

You like her BECAUSE she's bad.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:53 am

How does this reflect my feelings on the Jews, do you figure? (context if this comment seems weird to onlookers.)

And no, I like her because she's a conspiracy theorist who lives in the jungle and that's hilarious.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:01 pm

To a child, maybe. I haven't talked to a single Sonic fan that actually likes Sticks. Not one. And that includes two 16yo girls that actually hate her. The Boom cartoon's jokes that get a rise out of people come from everyone that's NOT Sticks.

I'll never forget that one video promo for Boom that talked about all the work that went into making her, and talked about how great and original a concept she was to the franchise. I watched that in utter amazement.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:02 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:I haven't talked to a single Sonic fan that actually likes Sticks. Not one.

We are literally talking to each other right now.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Sticks reminds me a lot of Max from Sam and Max, minus the violence and adult-oriented humor. So I like her, but she should be toned down in insanity if she is going to stick around. Her shtick will get old fast. Her observational nature should be highlighted rather than her mercurial insanity. We already have Bean for that kind of thing.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Mordum wrote:
BlazeHeatnix wrote:I haven't talked to a single Sonic fan that actually likes Sticks. Not one.

We are literally talking to each other right now.

You're not a Sonic fan.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:05 pm

Uh.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:13 pm

I'd love if the comic could use Sticks if they ever do another ATAP story to promote the Olympic Games or something.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:21 pm

I love Sticks, but I don't know if we really can talk about her popularity here. Of course she's part of Sonic Showdown or upcoming Mario & Sonic, she's a character in new series that Sega really wants to promote. In comparison, Marine showed up in only one game (a spin off game) and was received with mixed response (personally I love her even more then Sticks, but I get why people don't like her).

As for whenever Sticks should join main universe (would that be games or comics) then I don't think it will ever happened and I don't want this to happened... for now. Comic is too crowded already and Sticks wouldn't really fit with Freedom Fighters. In games only Tails is getting any attention, so I don't need pushing Sticks into Sonic's friends closet. It's been years since Shadow was playable, I don't need another distraction from him.

But even if those problems got fixed, I don't want her as long as Boom universe lives. Come one people, leave them some selling points. When Sega stop pretending that Boom wasn't complete failure, then I'm all for adapting her, she's the only thing worth saving. But for now let's leave some differences between co-existing worlds.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Sticks is already in the main book, she's Bean.

And because she's Bean I don't really want her in the main continuity, primarily because I don't think there's a place for her. Sticks is a socially awkward character that throws out random funny lines for the sake of getting a laugh. That is directly suited for something like the Boom TV series or comic, something entirely comedy oriented that seeks only to make its audience laugh (whether is succeeds or fails is up to individual interpretation; I know many folks find those funny, I don't 99% of the time).

Does that type of character transition well to a more serious (by comparison) and plot oriented work like the main comic continuity? Yes and no. Again, she's Bean, and Bean's popularity in the comic clearly indicates there is room for such a character. So where would we put her? The only real obvious choice is the Freedom Fighters, given that's the equivalent of her hanging out with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy in the Boom continuity. But making her part of the Freedom Fighters would make her a main character, which means she'd be around ALL the time. Speaking personally for a moment, that would get grating REALLY fast. I loved Bean, but having him show up so often post reboot has really made me wish he'd go away for a while. He's the same shtick every time he shows up and while it's wonderful in short bursts he can quickly overstay his welcome. Now we consider having Bean be a regular character essentially and you can get where I'm going with this.

So, that leaves two more options; put Sticks somewhere else or modify Sticks to better fit the Freedom Fighters. Elsewhere is certainly possible, though off hand I'm not sure where she'd fit.
Spoiler: show
Moss maybe?
Modifying her is plausible too: Sonic, Tails, Amy, Cream, and Big have each been slightly adapted to fit the Freedom Fighter set up. It would just depend on what the Archie team wanted to do with her. Honestly, I wouldn't mind her in the Archie continuity, since I still prefer the old "melting pot of everything into something original" the old continuity was using over the "Sega continuity, with some elements of SatAM and AOSTH" the new continuity is. But again, I'd want her altered if she was made part of the primary cast.

As far as the games are concerned, I don't see why not. She'd be fine in even older game plots let alone the more story-less stuff we get today. Especially if she's just put into stuff like the Olympic games like everyone that isn't "Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot" is nowadays.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Sparky » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't see the problem with a character like Sticks or Bean being a main character in a more serious and adventure oriented setting.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:32 pm

It really depends on who is writing her. In the comics, she's not a problem, in Rise of Lyric, she's an afterthought, in Shattered Crystal, she's weirdly political

The show is where she is at her absolute worst, though. Not only did they write a whole episode dedicated to her screaming really loudly for most of the run time, she does absolutely NOTHING to show why she's friends with Sonic and company. If anything, she proves how much of a total amoral jerk she is and how much she doesn't care about anyone but herself. Why is she hanging out with everyone when she breaks all of their things with no remorse or actively hinders their fight against Eggman?

That, of course, is during the parts of the series I watched. I pretty much stopped watching boom BECAUSE of her. Her and the "lolrandum" humor they threw in that people seem to enjoy for absolutely no reason.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius