Sonic Universe #79 Spoilers and Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Universe #79 Spoilers and Discussion

Postby Mordum » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:31 pm

linebyline wrote:Also, "Gold"? Kind of on-the-nose, isn't it?

No more than Silver?

Or Knuckles.

Or like half the names in Sonic.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:03 am

Mordum wrote:

No more than Silver?

Or Knuckles.

There is no arguing logic like this XP
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby linebyline » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:16 am

Mordum wrote:

No more than Silver?

Or Knuckles.

I meant as a counterpart to Silver. Like if Relic had been named Wrist or Fingertips or something.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:57 am

linebyline wrote:
Mordum wrote:

No more than Silver?

Or Knuckles.

I meant as a counterpart to Silver. Like if Relic had been named Wrist or Fingertips or something.

well, Sega was originally going to name Rouge "Nails" since she debuted as a rival to Knuckles
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby ChaosJam » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:34 am

linebyline wrote:
various people wrote:Gold the Tenrec

*sigh*

Is this a case of "'Spoilers' means future issues, too" or a case of "You'd know who that was if you bought the Super Duper Special Digests to get all the Origins stories"?

It's more of a case of "a new character's name being mentioned in SU#81's preview which was released to the public and thus not a spoiler of any kind".

linebyline wrote:Overall, I like this issue. But there is one thing that bugs me a little: Are we really devoting an arc to setting up a central plot device of the crossover, after the crossover?

Who says it HAS to only relate to the crossover and that's it? Why can't it be setting the stage for not just future stories but Silver's new adventures? Just because it's going to answer some questions about a plot device in Worlds Unite doesn't mean that's the only purpose of this arch.[/quote]

linebyline wrote:I know, we already got Origins (and by "we" I mean "you people who are willing to pay for that kind of thing")

And because we are willing to pay for it we need to feel belittled? Regardless of us wanting to buy it or not, you usually can find someone who has it post some bullet points on the story in the appropriate thread. So the information is always there if you take the time to go find it.

linebyline wrote:Oh, don't mind me, I'm just nostalgic for the first SU arc, the only arc to date outside of the crossovers that actually bothered to keep in sync with STH.

This is literally the only arch I can think of that has ever been out of sync with what's going on in the main comic.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:54 am

Journey To The East and Babylon RIsing were a bit of a mess in syncing with the main comic too, if I recall. Probably others too to be honest.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:16 am

ChaosJam wrote:
linebyline wrote:
various people wrote:Gold the Tenrec

*sigh*

Is this a case of "'Spoilers' means future issues, too" or a case of "You'd know who that was if you bought the Super Duper Special Digests to get all the Origins stories"?

It's more of a case of "a new character's name being mentioned in SU#81's preview which was released to the public and thus not a spoiler of any kind".

I'm pretty sure that by most people's concern, something doesn't become not-a-spoiler as soon as it's publicly mentioned anywhere. like, if a movie comes out and you're planning to see it but can't go on opening weekend, and someone tells you all about it, that's what makes it a spoiler. sure, it's open to the public, but you haven't seen it yet, you wanted to see it on your own, and now someone's spoiled the whole thing.

it's entirely possible for someone to wait to read these threads that are for discussion of the individual issues until after they actually get them themselves, and avoid the solicitations for the future issues because those solicitations may very well contain spoilers. sure, the majority of us do eagerly read the solicitations, but for those who don't and only want to discuss the present issue, Gold the Tenrec is never mentioned in this issue itself, so that's a spoiler for someone who is purposefully avoiding that information.
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:03 pm

linebyline wrote:
Mordum wrote:

No more than Silver?

Or Knuckles.

"What should we call this Hedgehog that's darker than Sonic?"
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SimonSays » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:12 pm

linebyline wrote:Overall, I like this issue. But there is one thing that bugs me a little: Are we really devoting an arc to setting up a central plot device of the crossover, after the crossover? I know, we already got Origins (and by "we" I mean "you people who are willing to pay for that kind of thing") but SU #75 really did feel like we were dropped in the middle of something that we should already have known more about, so if this were #75 and the crossover and its lead-in had come a bit later, we might be better off. Oh, don't mind me, I'm just nostalgic for the first SU arc, the only arc to date outside of the crossovers that actually bothered to keep in sync with STH. :P

I don't want to spoil what's going on in other issues in this thread, but I would like to point out that they are still using the Genesis Portals in post-WU stories. Worlds Unite really made it seem like it was just the plot device for that crossover, but it appears that they're going to be sticking around to be used for other things. The Silver arc might not be about exploring them in their relation to WU, but rather whatever those other uses are going to be.

Spoiler: show
I putting down ten dollars now on the Genesis Portals being used as a way for Silver to meet Blaze. :V

I really agree on the Pickle vs. Von Schlemmer point though. I like Von Schlemmer in this issue, he's a nice compromise between his old zaniness and the new environment he's in. He's reacting appropriately without losing his goofy charm.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:15 pm

SimonSays wrote:
I putting down ten dollars now on the Genesis Portals being used as a way for Silver to meet Blaze. :V

I had previously figured Genesis Portals really were just the WU plot device and didn't care if they came back or not, but now I feel silly for not considering this angle. that'd be nifty
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby linebyline » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:55 pm

ChaosJam wrote:
linebyline wrote:Overall, I like this issue. But there is one thing that bugs me a little: Are we really devoting an arc to setting up a central plot device of the crossover, after the crossover?

Who says it HAS to only relate to the crossover and that's it? Why can't it be setting the stage for not just future stories but Silver's new adventures? Just because it's going to answer some questions about a plot device in Worlds Unite doesn't mean that's the only purpose of this arch.

Oh, no, this story is fine. I'm more annoyed that we got through the entire crossover and the lead-in in SU that was all about Genesis Portals and treated their existence as established fact, and only now are we getting around to the actual establishing part.

ChaosJam wrote:
linebyline wrote:I know, we already got Origins (and by "we" I mean "you people who are willing to pay for that kind of thing")

And because we are willing to pay for it we need to feel belittled? Regardless of us wanting to buy it or not, you usually can find someone who has it post some bullet points on the story in the appropriate thread. So the information is always there if you take the time to go find it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to belittle anyone. My point is just that important plot points like that need to be in one of the main books, not supplemental stuff. Ideally, it would be in the flagship STH. Here again, though, this is a weakness of SU#75 (I think?) that just dropped the Genesis Portals on us with no explanation other than the ad for Origins.

And yes, I could look up summaries. And that would be better than getting nickel-and-dimed. But to me, it's the principle of the thing: A story should contain enough information to keep readers from getting lost. It doesn't have to spell out everything, but just dropping them in there and saying that they were explained in some other place isn't enough.

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:I'm pretty sure that by most people's concern, something doesn't become not-a-spoiler as soon as it's publicly mentioned anywhere. like, if a movie comes out and you're planning to see it but can't go on opening weekend, and someone tells you all about it, that's what makes it a spoiler. sure, it's open to the public, but you haven't seen it yet, you wanted to see it on your own, and now someone's spoiled the whole thing.

it's entirely possible for someone to wait to read these threads that are for discussion of the individual issues until after they actually get them themselves, and avoid the solicitations for the future issues because those solicitations may very well contain spoilers. sure, the majority of us do eagerly read the solicitations, but for those who don't and only want to discuss the present issue, Gold the Tenrec is never mentioned in this issue itself, so that's a spoiler for someone who is purposefully avoiding that information.

Mr.Unsmiley, you're my hero.

My only issue with your analogy is that in this case, the movie hasn't (that is, the next couple issues of the comic haven't) even been released yet. Now, I don't generally count previews as spoilers for the issue they're taken from, as they're no different from just reading the first few pages of the comic once you've bought it. Just, you know, earlier. But they certainly do spoil issues that came before!

To be fair, "There exists a character named 'Gold the Tenrec'" isn't exactly a major spoiler. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the spoiler policy is before someone reveals that Von Schlemmer is secretly Ganondorf so he uses Rosebud to kill Luke's father.

SimonSays wrote:

Well, technically...
They've already met in Colors DS and/or Generations. But any excuse to get some interaction between them that doesn't involve 06 plotholeyness is OK in my book!
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius