Solicitations - STH 279 & SU 82

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Solicitations - STH 279 & SU 82

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Not to knock any of the new villainesses, I like a lot of them, but are there "more"?

I just know the old continuity had Lien-Da, the Iron Queen, Conquering Storm, Uma Arrachnis, Fiona, Mecha Robotnik, Nic, Rosy and Alicia, and more in the minor pool.

Again, I like/don't mind Cassia and Clove, Thunderbolt, Breezie, and Phage and am interested in Nephthys, but there aren't more, we're more building back to what we had.

I'd comment on the solicits, but there's never much to comment on in them nowadays. I'm still really interested to learn more about Cassia and Clove who are my favorite things post-reboot right now, and that's about it. Giant Silver doesn't really excite me. More interested to learn what new stories start in STH 280 and SU83.

And if anything new replaces Mega Man and Boom but I highly doubt that.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby apprentice manta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:07 pm

~advance warning for long reply, may edit later to be more concise~

---
But Uma & Ms. Terminator Knockoff died before they did any major damage. (Unless people were totally crushed by Sonic's arm being broken for like, 2 issues?) For a bounty hunter looking for easy money, Nic wasn't particularly villainous. She was friends w/ Fiona, Bean, & Bark for awhile, their team totally failed at playing Tomb Raider stealing treasure or artifacts. Rouge was a way more successful thief & I'd hardly call her a villain.

Nic's other notably moments? Stopping Nack from getting a date. Saving Ray's life by destroying a gem she wanted to take, then telling Mighty he'd have to pay her back someday. Piloting the Millenium Falcon. (Really. I can't believe that panel made it past copyright lawyers.)

Being hired along w/ Nack by GalaNa to stop Green Knuckles from... something. (Nack, Nic, & GalaNa all seemed not to care whether Knux was captured dead or alive.*) Nic + Fiona were also part of the crowd scene helping defend Mobius from the Xorda invasion. That's it. Nic stopped making appearances outside of a flashback or two, some vaguely worded statement by Nack implied he might have killed her off-page. I think she had a re-design in that Who's Who? Encyclopedia but that never made it into the comics. Then the Pendering happened so it all became kinda moot. *shrug*

Point is, I think it's a stretch to include Nic in the villain list. Might as well toss in Downtown Ebony Hare's unnamed girlfriend, Rotor's brainwashed mom, various female Robians carrying out orders, any female hijacked by nanites or magic or whatever, genderbent Robotnik from the Sailor Moon parody, LienDa's female lieutenant (GaeNa? She was in one of the Dawn Best comics, possibly the first LaraSu story...? Don't have that issue any more, I'm working off my shaky memory here.) Plus all the other female echidnas + legionized troops in the Dark Legion/DEL for all the impact they had.

*I've heard people argue that GalaNa was 'evil' but I think GalaNa was trying to look out for her tribe's best interests, one of those Well Intentioned Extremist Politician.

Sorry if this sounds overcritical. Maybe I only cared about Nic's allegiance because she was half of my fanon OTP (Nic + Fiona. They were in women's prison together. I've seen enough OITNB to know where this was goin'.)

---
Anyhow, I think some of the old continuity villainesses had potential for more chara development or to impact the story: particularly LienDa, Regina, & Conquering Storm. Those 3 all had their reasons to resent Eggman & could've made power grabs if given the opportunity.

LienDa had tried coups before. Connie seemed to be biding her time for the right moment to rebel, ie. some time when she could ensure her clan could escape the DEL unscathed. Regina hadn't yet realized she'd been duped, but her technomage abilities gave her an edge in the power department. We've seen what damage she could do by hijacking NICOLE etc.

I'm still not sure whether Fiona would've stayed loyal to Scourge or if she would've switched allegiances yet again. Possibly Scourge would have been the one to ditch her. Or maybe they'd stay together but both would've been taken down by Zone Cops, given a "Bonnie + Clyde" send-off. I dunno, but I do enjoy some speculation.

But I'm also really interested in seeing what the reboot villainesses, anti-heroes, + wild cards like Breezie will do. Just kinda waiting until the whole Worlds Unite saga is collected so I can see whether or not cross-over events will lead into upcoming plots.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Oh, wasn't commenting on quality, I completely agree that as much as Thunderbolt made me go "eh", she's still better than Nic was ever written. I was merely playing a numbers game. That's why Mecha and Uma were on the list, they were villainesses prior to reboot. Any of them would have had potential for more story possibility had they been present in the Flynn era.

I consider Nic a villain because she was a bounty hunter and in the comics bounty hunter tended to equal villain, see her brother and his various hooligans.

But yeah, I do like some of the reboot villainesses. Again, Cassia and Clove are my favorite post-reboot creations and Breezie was nothing but wonderful in "Champions".
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby DudestofGuys » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:54 pm

GentlemanX wrote:Not to knock any of the new villainesses, I like a lot of them, but are there "more"?

I just know the old continuity had Lien-Da, the Iron Queen, Conquering Storm, Uma Arrachnis, Fiona, Mecha Robotnik, Nic, Rosy and Alicia, and more in the minor pool.

Again, I like/don't mind Cassia and Clove, Thunderbolt, Breezie, and Phage and am interested in Nephthys, but there aren't more, we're more building back to what we had.

I think it's pretty fair to say there's "more" when you're comparing ~50 issues to ~300 and your examples for the later are things like alternate-universe-evil-counterparts and "literally did not/will not do anything except job to other characters and die". S'like pointing to CD Rom Ram as an example of there being too many male villains before the reboot.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 pm

GentlemanX wrote:Not to knock any of the new villainesses, I like a lot of them, but are there "more"?

perhaps it's proportionally more compared to how many male villains were active than female in the pre-reboot. less about how many women there are and more about how visible they are
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Kevin160nitroncaron3 wrote:Hey Thrash! Missed ya buddy! Glad...wait a minute [looks at the bottom left]...you're not Thrash at all. Must be a new character.

By the way, is that Tails or Thunderbolt on the top left?

And is Silver fighting Skeleton Gaia?

It does not appear we are ever getting Super Silver.

I'm not so sure that isn't Thrash behind those green glasses...but maybe that's just me hoping to see another returning character from the old reality. I'm not sure that's Tails or Thunderbolt; I think it might be one of the Shamar Freedom Fighters. The monster from Sonic Universe looks interesting-I am curious as to whether it's a brand new thing or intended to be something else. I've been wondering about Super Silver too, but unless Silver's time possesses a power source on the level of the Master, Chaos, or Sol Emeralds, it seems unlikely that he'll be going Super in this arc. But it could be that Ian's keeping that waiting in the wings just like our first look at Nephthys.

At their largest, the Dark Egg Legion Grandmasters had 11 members, and the Egg Bosses are currently up to 8. The fact that there were three females in the former and four in the latter is kind of a nice change-they're currently equal and hopefully the trend will continue. Sadly, unless Conquering Storm is somehow still usable I think we've seen the end of returning Grandmasters with Mordred and Akhlut-still wondering when that guy will be making his official comeback. Add in Phage and Breezie and we've got a pretty good villainous female cast, even with some lackluster ones such as Thunderbolt or Zeena.

Now if we could get some more villains period that have no ties-past or present-to Robotnik...
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Can't really comment about Nephthys and her Egg Army without seeing them.

I just want the Sonic Unleashed adaption over with.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:59 pm

These covers look nice, and the Shattered World Crisis seems to finally be coming to a close. The solicit for STH #279 looks interesting, and I wonder what the cost is for the plans of Sally and Clove succeeding? I also can't wait for The Silver Age, and it looks like it can be real good. I'm willing to read these issues.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:10 am

apprentice manta wrote:Point is, I think it's a stretch to include Nic in the villain list. Might as well toss in Downtown Ebony Hare's unnamed girlfriend, Rotor's brainwashed mom, various female Robians carrying out orders, any female hijacked by nanites or magic or whatever, genderbent Robotnik from the Sailor Moon parody, LienDa's female lieutenant (GaeNa? She was in one of the Dawn Best comics, possibly the first LaraSu story...? Don't have that issue any more, I'm working off my shaky memory here.) Plus all the other female echidnas + legionized troops in the Dark Legion/DEL for all the impact they had.

*I've heard people argue that GalaNa was 'evil' but I think GalaNa was trying to look out for her tribe's best interests, one of those Well Intentioned Extremist Politician.

Ebony Hare's girlfriend was named Foxxy-Foxxy Reynard according to the Encyclopedia.

The Shattered World Crisis looks to be winding down, but there are still a few more Gaia Keys to be found (279 puts us at 2 unless there's something the solicits aren't telling us), and we still have all the Gaia Temples and the final showdown between Sonic, Chip, and Dark Gaia to wrap up.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby apprentice manta » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Ebony Hare's girlfriend was named Foxxy-Foxxy Reynard according to the Encyclopedia.

That name is awesome. Suspiciously awesome.
MOD EDIT: All ages board, remember?

Please tell me there's scans confirming this.

+1000 Sass Points if Dubs named her.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:53 pm

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Foxy

Foxy was featured in The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia along with Ebony Hare, and this was the first instance in which she received a surname. The surname comes from the French word for fox.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm

...so the Mega Man 52 thread over in Worlds Unite claims that the Silver Age takes place before Worlds Unite, and in fact even before the Free Comic Book Day special that introduced Von Schlemmer. Anyone else heard anything to this effect?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Striker » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:...so the Mega Man 52 thread over in Worlds Unite claims that the Silver Age takes place before Worlds Unite, and in fact even before the Free Comic Book Day special that introduced Von Schlemmer. Anyone else heard anything to this effect?

It was talked about in this interview/recap.
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:35 am

Hm...so I'm going to guess that Silver's flashback to Von Schlemmer occurred prior to the Silver Age, and that after the events of that arc he started his whole "close the Genesis Portals" quest. I wonder if he's still on that-might explain why he contributed nothing to Worlds Unite beyond helping stop Vile and getting the Maverick Hunters to the Sonic Boom Zone.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:05 am

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Hm...so I'm going to guess that Silver's flashback to Von Schlemmer occurred prior to the Silver Age, and that after the events of that arc he started his whole "close the Genesis Portals" quest. I wonder if he's still on that-might explain why he contributed nothing to Worlds Unite beyond helping stop Vile and getting the Maverick Hunters to the Sonic Boom Zone.

I wouldn't be shocked if the arc starts with an extended version of the Flash back honestly. With the plot getting going with Von Schlemmer and Silver trying to get permission to investigate the Genesis Portals.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius