Sonic comics: the sole remaining liscenced videogame comic?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic comics: the sole remaining liscenced videogame com

Postby Mordum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Well, yeah, that's fair. I was just being a little broad in my wording, but you're right. "Heavily based on" the game continuity is more accurate.

The point still stands, though, I think.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:43 am

akessel92 wrote:Firstly world building, ever since the reboot began many fans have been driven away at the change of story and direction. Some of it was needed, yet that's still twenty years of rich lore that needs to be reestablished.

Time will fix that. The advantage is that the reboot is basically the games universe mixed in with some of the old cartoons, essentially being an amalgam of continuities, which I think is pretty rad. The old continuity had to build itself up because the mythos were so vastly different from the games. Actually, since it functions under the assumption that you're familiar with the games, there really isn't much world building to do. They just have to reestablish what's left over from the old continuity and move on which really shouldn't take too long, 3 years max I estimate.

Secondly, quality of the books. I mean we have decent artists however, many people have argued that the quality of art has dropped since the reboot. I mean granted its probably because of newer artists being hired at the same time long time characters are being redesigned and restyled to fit this more game centered universe. Also, same can be said for story. Again, different direction is the main reason. Well that and Sega's infernal babying of the series.

Its a matter of opinion. I find that the continuity and the art is generally cleaner and in appreciate that, but to every man his own.

But overall many feel the greater emhasis on action/adventure hinder other aspects like world building and character development.

Right. How could action/adventure hinder anything in an action/adventure comic? Its not like there isn't any character development at all. Nicole received some in her Sonic Universe arc. I'm not sure how far you can take character development in a licensed product since they have a certain status quo they have to meet so I don't have high expectations with the Sega cast but the Satan and comic originals like Eclipse could receive a decent amount.

I mean as awesome as seeing sonic and friends smashing badniks but really that can't be it. I mean saving the world maybe a job for these guys but do they ever get to enjoy saving the wonders of the world?

Like... The Eiffel Tower? Please evaluate. I'm missing the importance of the question.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:59 am

Azul wrote:
akessel92 wrote:Firstly world building, ever since the reboot began many fans have been driven away at the change of story and direction. Some of it was needed, yet that's still twenty years of rich lore that needs to be reestablished.

Time will fix that. The advantage is that the reboot is basically the games universe mixed in with some of the old cartoons, essentially being an amalgam of continuities, which I think is pretty rad. The old continuity had to build itself up because the mythos were so vastly different from the games. Actually, since it functions under the assumption that you're familiar with the games, there really isn't much world building to do. They just have to reestablish what's left over from the old continuity and move on which really shouldn't take too long, 3 years max I estimate

but you also have to keep in mind that Ian is establishing things about this world that are totally unique. Meropis has no connections to either the games nor the old comics, and I feel pretty confident that Ian will be introducing more things like this as time goes on
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Kellox » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 am

I am just a bit confused is Megaman just going to be on hiatus or is it canned : (
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:10 am

Kellox wrote:I am just a bit confused is Megaman just going to be on hiatus or is it canned : (

Officially hiatus, but everyone is preparing for the worst.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:20 am

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Azul wrote:

Time will fix that. The advantage is that the reboot is basically the games universe mixed in with some of the old cartoons, essentially being an amalgam of continuities, which I think is pretty rad. The old continuity had to build itself up because the mythos were so vastly different from the games. Actually, since it functions under the assumption that you're familiar with the games, there really isn't much world building to do. They just have to reestablish what's left over from the old continuity and move on which really shouldn't take too long, 3 years max I estimate

but you also have to keep in mind that Ian is establishing things about this world that are totally unique. Meropis has no connections to either the games nor the old comics, and I feel pretty confident that Ian will be introducing more things like this as time goes on

As I've said, it shouldn't take too long. Introducing new concepts is entirely different. By world building, I was referring to reintroducing old concepts and establishing what's been changed. Its not like new concepts weren't being introduced before the reboot so I didn't consider that.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:54 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Kellox wrote:I am just a bit confused is Megaman just going to be on hiatus or is it canned : (

Officially hiatus, but everyone is preparing for the worst.

I don't know about 'preparing for the worst' - and I may have missed it but I've not seen anyone talking about this anywhere on the forum:

Ian Flynn (on the bumbleking.com front page) wrote:The entire Comics section has been overhauled in lieu of some exciting future announcements. I have no idea when I’ll get to make those announcements, but the site is now prepared for those updates when I’ve got the go ahead to say so.

I'd expect those announcements to be made during or sometime around NYCC - I also expect those announcements to be along the lines of something to do with a SEGA and/or CAPCOM comic that deals with multiple stories/franchises at once - much in the same vein as the early issues of the UK Sonic the Comic.

Pure speculation, but to me it seems to be the most logical convergance/outcome of the current circumstances.

Whether or not a Mega Man story will be one of the first featured titles in a 'CAPCOM' multi-franchise comic - I expect not, but perhaps in time, yes.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:28 am

Who says they'll be Archie-related announcements? He's a freelancer.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Vin say's "Wouldn't it be cool if Mario jumped out [of a Genesis Portal]", Tania del Rio tweets this and Now Ian says there's an "Exciting announcement" coming.

[Breathing Intensifies]
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Dejimon11 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Meliden wrote:Who says they'll be Archie-related announcements? He's a freelancer.

Because during SDCC Vin was asked with the cancelation of boom and mega man's hiatus what is the state of the Archie Action Line up and he responded by saying that they have stuff planned.
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:37 pm

My body is prepared.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:46 pm

If just if there's a Mario comic I really hope that at some point they do a Ghostbusters Get Real style arc where Game Mario meets Dic and Movie Mario. :(hearty laughter):
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby FritzyBeat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Actually.... I know they are gone now, but anyone remember when Namco started up Shiftylook comics? All the comics on that site were endorsed and entirely made possible by Namco Bandai (and the Bravoman comic I remember being especially good) X3

I know they were webcomics, but do you think they would have counted as officially licensed videogame comics?
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Spin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:06 am

FritzyBeat wrote:Actually.... I know they are gone now, but anyone remember when Namco started up Shiftylook comics? All the comics on that site were endorsed and entirely made possible by Namco Bandai (and the Bravoman comic I remember being especially good) X3

I know they were webcomics, but do you think they would have counted as officially licensed videogame comics?

Udon went on to make the comic strips for Bravoman, Wonder Momo, and Katamari into physical books. So those at the very least would count. Though considering the staff had to get their story ideas approved by Namco Bandai, I'd say yes.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:01 am

ShiftyLook was more or less an in-house project for Bandai Namco, so yeah, they're about as official as you can get -- enough that I'm not even sure they technically count as "licensed" (though UDON publishing the books of the stuff they worked on probably does).

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius