Death Battle Knuckles vs Donkey Kong

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Death Battle Knuckles vs Donkey Kong

Postby The Jazzyman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 pm

I was quite annoyed with how they treated "canon" material, but I shouldn't really expect much from death battle.

(hearty laughter) and considering they were considering anything canon, they forgot to mention the feats that Knuckles has achieved in the comics.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:31 pm

The Jazzyman wrote:I was quite annoyed with how they treated "canon" material, but I shouldn't really expect much from death battle.

(hearty laughter) and considering they were considering anything canon, they forgot to mention the feats that Knuckles has achieved in the comics.

Yeah go toe-to-toe with the ultimate life form.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby The Jazzyman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:15 pm

akessel92 wrote:
The Jazzyman wrote:I was quite annoyed with how they treated "canon" material, but I shouldn't really expect much from death battle.

Yeah go toe-to-toe with the ultimate life form.

or lifting a powerplant even!

http://archive.sonichq.net/images/scans ... water3.jpg
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby Arkus0 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 am

Seeing the Donkey Kong Country clips and hearing the main theme brought back so many nostalgic memories. Though the CGI really got bad in later seasons. The sprite they used for DK in the fight was really weird, like they cobbled together a body sprite from another character (or made from scratch) and stuck a DK head sprite on.

The fight itself was really fun especially the many expressions DK had, although hearing Knuckles constantly say "Oh no" got a bit annoying. I was disappointed my favourite Echidna lost but I enjoyed the fight all the same and their reasons for DK being the winner made sense.

One more thing, "Banana Slamma!"
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:33 am

My favorite gags were the Banana Slamma Montage and Knuckles going "Oh No" everytime he got hit.

The fight itself was a ton of fun and I loved how goofy a lot of it was.
Spoiler: show
That ending was pretty freaking violent though.

Honestly they didn't have to pull from Boom for examples of how dumb Knux is though. They could have used everytime he was tricked counting Triple Trouble and the like. Or even just pointed out that Knuckles is only every shown to be tricky and clever on his home terf.

He clearly knows the lay of the land on Angel Island but when it comes to other places he clearly is at a disadvantage.

I did like that they pointed out that neither really strategizes they just bat the crap out of anything and everything and hope that works.

Good match IMHO.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Azul » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 am

I hate how it started out good but then it ended so abruptly. It gives me the impression that one of the combatants could have easily won anytime which is just lame. They did the same thing with the second Goku vs Superman. Also, they either said things that were unproven like "Knuckles gets his strength from the Master Emerald," and mixed in mythos from different continuities, "The ancient Echidnas were adapt in technology," and "Knuckles can't read," when in reality, he's actually bilingual as proven in Zero Gravity. Also, they used Sonic Boom Knuckles as a reference point when he's from another continuity altogether. And I hate how they show us only one of the contestants from the next fight and then. Freaking social network bait.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 am

Well, I'm okay that they mentioned Boom stuff for laughs. In the end Archie Knuckles would use same strategy as this did.

I'm iffy about using a Moon as cannon, but they did similar things with Kirby and Peach. I prefer when they use stuff like "Thor is use to fighting smarter opponents" or "Kratos is covered in his sins", but I get it that sometimes they must use questionable math to determine winner.

Also, I'm okay with them not using Penders stuff
1 Only few people know them
2 Technically Knuckles lost them with reboot.
3 Knuckles would turn green and erase DK from existence, that would be boring.

...but yes, I was hoping for Red Rad to win. Now Sonic and Tails will never stop laughing at him.

squeakyboots13 wrote:Fight didn't end with a rap battle. 0/10

So true :(hearty laughter):
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:28 am

Honestly I'd say don't get so bogged down by their use of varying continuity. They always do that.

I just watch the show for fun.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby squeakyboots13 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:34 am

My only beef with that is that they bring up stuff that doesn't get used in the actual fight.

Like the bit with them mentioning how cutting off DK's hair makes him lose his strength. That never happens during the fight so why even mention that?
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Azul » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:47 am

squeakyboots13 wrote:My only beef with that is that they bring up stuff that doesn't get used in the actual fight.

Like the bit with them mentioning how cutting off DK's hair makes him lose his strength. That never happens during the fight so why even mention that?

They did the same thing with Superman's Solar Flare attack. Probably because they're weaknesses that would easily put the other guy at an advantage.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:44 am

Arkus0 wrote:Seeing the Donkey Kong Country clips and hearing the main theme brought back so many nostalgic memories. Though the CGI really got bad in later seasons. The sprite they used for DK in the fight was really weird, like they cobbled together a body sprite from another character (or made from scratch) and stuck a DK head sprite on.

The fight itself was really fun especially the many expressions DK had, although hearing Knuckles constantly say "Oh no" got a bit annoying. I was disappointed my favourite Echidna lost but I enjoyed the fight all the same and their reasons for DK being the winner made sense.

One more thing, "Banana Slamma!"

Yeah, the sprite surprised me. I guess they really wanted to keep to scale.

What was that "oh no" from, anyway?

Azul wrote:I hate how it started out good but then it ended so abruptly. It gives me the impression that one of the combatants could have easily won anytime which is just lame. They did the same thing with the second Goku vs Superman. Also, they either said things that were unproven like "Knuckles gets his strength from the Master Emerald," and mixed in mythos from different continuities, "The ancient Echidnas were adapt in technology," and "Knuckles can't read," when in reality, he's actually bilingual as proven in Zero Gravity. Also, they used Sonic Boom Knuckles as a reference point when he's from another continuity altogether. And I hate how they show us only one of the contestants from the next fight and then. Freaking social network bait.

Well, they pull from pretty much anything and everything and create a sort of composite "ultimate" version.

Sort of like the new TMNT, I guess, but less polished.

I think Sonic was literally referencing every version of Sonic, for instance.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:I'm iffy about using a Moon as cannon, but they did similar things with Kirby and Peach. I prefer when they use stuff like "Thor is use to fighting smarter opponents" or "Kratos is covered in his sins", but I get it that sometimes they must use questionable math to determine winner.

Hey, the moon is totally canon.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby FancyFool » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Just watched the video and I find it quite alright. There are a few things that I take personal issue with (namely that HIDEOUS AS A GORGON DONKEY KONG SPRITE and using the DKC Cartoon and Sonic Boom as resources for the respective characters) but overall it's pretty good.
I flipping knew Donkey Kong was going to win the instant he was revealed as Knuckles' fighter. Not to downplay Knuckles' character, I still find him to be one of the more powerful Sonic characters, but... Donkey Kong punched the moon out of orbit! Y-you just can't compete against that! Well, that and because the Sonic series was kind of on a winning streak before this battle with Sonic, Metal Sonic, and Tails' victory from their respective battles, so I kind of expected Knuckles to lose to balance out the win/loss ratio (which is actually a respectable 3/2, surprising considering Screw Attack's usual bias against Sonic). But it's still a total shame that Knuckles had to be the one to bite the dust...

Slightly off-topic but I'm hoping that in a future Death Battle they allow Shadow a second shot and pit him against a more balanced, comparable foe:
Mewtwo :twisted:
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:28 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:What was that "oh no" from, anyway?

his death rattle in Sonic Adventure 1
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:24 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby squeakyboots13 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:18 pm

FancyFool wrote:Slightly off-topic but I'm hoping that in a future Death Battle they allow Shadow a second shot and pit him against a more balanced, comparable foe:
Mewtwo :twisted:

I had no idea I wanted this until now. Have they ever used a character for a fight twice besides Goku and Superman?
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius