Sonic's 25th Anniversary: First Details Released

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic's 25th Anniversary: First Details Released

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 am

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/07/son ... -franchise

SEGA Newsletter wrote:SEGA is also planning to showcase the heritage of the classic “Sonic” franchise as part of its anniversary celebrations

Interesting.

What are your personal hopes for Sonic's 25th?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Re: Sonic's 25th Anniversary: First Details Released

Postby akessel92 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 am

TheFatPanda wrote:
What are your personal hopes for Sonic's 25th?

My personal hope is for them not to screw it up!
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am

It should be a Genesis style game with every major character, but they all have the wrong eye color.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 am

I have a need for a Turtles Forever Esq Multimedia Crossover between Sonic Games, Comics and Cartoons that I know will never ever EVER happen.

Still this is what I want and I want a big crazy crossover. :(hearty laughter):
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 am

Keep in mind that "Classic Sonic" could just mean "Not Sonic Boom". The modern style has been around for 17 years after all.

TheFatPanda wrote:What are your personal hopes for Sonic's 25th?

A good main series game. The last one was Generations.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Betz! » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:27 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:What are your personal hopes for Sonic's 25th?

The whole "Sega Generations starring Sonic" thing.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:06 pm

all of my personal hopes would be extremely unlikely

- a new boost game that ditches the secondary modes that Unleashed and Generations were saddled with to make a game that's longer and further refines the boost gameplay (unlikely because, if the mentions of Classic Sonic are taken at face value, if we were to get a new boost game at all, it'd more likely be just like Generations with Classic Sonic being necessary to complete the game)

- a new Adventure/06 style game, which is to say, a game with hub worlds, exploration-based gameplay rather than almost entirely on-rails, a convoluted story, and multiple characters and game modes. this one is almost totally unlikely but I really miss being able to play as anyone besides Sonic. @#$%, you could just give me a boost game with no story but other playable characters and I'd be fine with that too (using fan community mods, this is already how I play Generations)

- a new party game like Sonic Shuffle (or, ya know, Mario Party) just because they could use this an excuse to bring in all the neglected characters (since you wouldnt have to worry about balancing their skills like you would in a racing or fighting game, the characters would just be your avatar, but I'd be fine with that. of course, if they could allocate the resources for a racing game that'd be fine too. especially if it focused entirely on Sonic characters (unlike All-Stars Racing) and used every available anthro character rather than just like, the main 9 or 13 or whatever. in fact, even though boost games have been entirely single player, I think that kind of gameplay would actually work really well for a racing game. that could give them an excuse to make a foot racing game like Sonic R rather than a board or car racing game like Sonic Riders)

also, if any of these totally hypothetical things were to even happen, they'd have to have PC ports for me to even be able to play them
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Spin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:21 pm

Sonic Generations 2. Just with a better plot. Add in other classic characters such as Knuckles and Amy. Make Tails/Knuckles/Amy playable in their classic/modern forms. Whether in the main game or just have an extra mode for after beating the game with Sonic. Add in a few Sonic Boom jokes. Bring back Mighty.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Sam Z.G. » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:29 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I have a need for a Turtles Forever Esq Multimedia Crossover between Sonic Games, Comics and Cartoons that I know will never ever EVER happen.

Still this is what I want and I want a big crazy crossover. :(hearty laughter):

Same here. It would be a riot.
Sam Z.G.
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:56 pm

A new game with a long dev time would be nice. Kind of shooting for the sky there, but it'd be a nice thing to see.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Gonzo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:46 pm

By "showcasing the heritage of Classic Sonic" they'd better not mean "by shafting everything that came after it".
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Matt7325 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 pm

An updated Mega Collection game collecting everything before the seventh generation:

- The original four Mega Drive/Genesis-era games (Taxman versions ideally), as well as Spinball and Mean Bean Machine
- The twelve Master System/Game Gear games
- SegaSonic
- Knuckles Chaotix
- 3D Blast/Flickies' Island (both versions)
- Sonic R
- Sonic the Fighters
- Sonic Pocket Adventure
- Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
- Sonic Shuffle
- Sonic Heroes
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- The three Advance games, plus Battle and Pinball Party
- Sonic Riders

If they can fit any of the generation seven games in there, awesome, and anything on top of that is gravy (there are so many special features that could be put in - the first episode of each cartoon maybe) but I'd love something that just collects a lot of the older games together (as a lot of them are hard to find now, and in the case of SegaSonic, Chaotix, and Shuffle, have never been re-released).
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm pretty certain something that hefty wouldn't fit on a disc.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:09 pm

I just want a Sonic Shuffle rerelease because my Dreamcast won't play it anymore :(
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 pm

The only Sonic game I've cared about in the last nine years was Generations which will be five years old by the time anything happens for the 25th anniversary. Based on this it should go without saying that gameplay wise my interest is pretty much nonexistent regardless; it'd be cool if we got something like a SA3 or SG2 but I don't see either as that likely.

Honestly the best thing would be if Sega put some effort into crafting a game with a story that touched upon all the various parts of the games (Shadow, Chaotix, Silver, etc) while thematically showing off everything that makes Sonic Sonic. In other words, going for more legitimate sentiment than was seen in Colors and Lost World. I think that'd be the best way to "showcase the heritage" of the franchise.

The idea of a "Sega Generations" doesn't appeal to me as much. A year or two after Generations to serve as a pseudo sequel? Sure. As a celebration of a Sega anniversary? Sure. But not as a celebration for the Sonic brand. That makes no sense.

It'd be interesting if they have Boom acknowledge the anniversary, the Sonic X comic did an anniversary two parter during the 15th after all. I wonder what they would be allowed to do on the show, the comic was allowed to get pretty 4th wall-y with the references to other continuities begs the question how much freedom the TV staff have.

I don't really expect much out of the comics. Another Genesis style interruption strikes me as unlikely. Maybe that'll be the finale of the Unleashed adaptation? Though that feels more fitting for #300.

Maybe they should introduce another new hedgehog like they did with the 10th and 15th. Vegeta and Trunks have already shown up, it's about time for Broly expy right?
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius