Should Sonic target adults?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:05 pm

I don't think Sonic should really be targeted towards adults, but persay have future games' stories partially tailored to them.

Take Transformers Prime and Star Wars Clone Wars (The 2008 series) for example. Both are kids shows targeted at those demographics, but also contains some mature elements that can cater to older audiences; some episodes have an overarching storyline, main characters die, and sometimes in particularly violent ways, and some have mild sexual references in them.

IMO, Sonic '06 is the kind of story telling I would want for a future Sonic game, but with more polish and maturer themes.
User avatar
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:09 am
Location: Hawthorne, New Jersey

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby HavocAngel » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:13 pm

I would seriously disagree with the 'fact' that kids aren't interested in Sonic anymore. Less interested? Maybe. Honestly, though, if they are it's for the same reasons that adults are also losing interest. Game quality as a whole isn't as special as it used to be.
As someone else said, changing the demographic would be horribly unfair to kids... Completely changing it, anyhow. Shifting it? I could go for that. If they'd try to be a bit broader maybe and keep in mind that a lot of older fans still like the games and stop solely trying to reel in new fans, it could do wonders for sales. Forgive me for the example, but My Little Pony's demographic was technically little girls, and all kinds of people are into it. It's the difference between targeting specifically at a specific group of people and making the franchise FOR a group of people but also enjoyable to older audiences (or even the opposite gender). Doesn't mean EVERYONE's going to like it, but there's a higher chance that more people will.
Disney films are a pretty good example. I guess I'd call it a family demographic, because people of nearly all ages can enjoy them. Again, doesn't mean everyone DOES, but compare Disney's films to Teletubbies. Both are child appropriate, but one is only interesting to VERY young kids, for the most part. Instead of aiming for a show that young children can learn from but everyone can enjoy, they simply set their sights on the little ones. Disney aims higher and tries to make it fun, exciting, and interesting no matter who you are. Does it take more effort? Yeah, but good storytelling always does.

Better writing would be welcomed. But it doesn't have to be aimed at adults to be better writing. They just need writers who are invested in Sonic AND write well.
User avatar
HavocAngel
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:07 am
Location: Serendipity.

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Spinehog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:21 am

I'd say so. At the very least from a marketing perspective I suspect SEGA would have more success if they brought more attention to their older fans. How that translates to making games tho' Idk, short of created Taxman Sonic 5.
User avatar
Spinehog
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: The 'Nadian North.

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Spoiler: show
Mordum wrote:
WiNTER BELLS wrote:The Nostalgia Critic's video, Are Kids Shows Better NOW Than Ever?, can probably explain it better than myself.
I really doubt it can.

The Nostalgia Critic can't be in any conversation about maturity because he himself represents the vast infantilized pop culture.

EDIT: Aaaand just watched. Agreed with the basic point (because, yeah, on average, shows for kids are better now) but he makes a lot of leaps and assumptions that, like usual, hold basically no weight.

I'm going to guess that you forgot to include your counter point in regards to our discussion earlier... or you ran out of time.
What I'm trying to get across is that children's shows can have adult themes. The main difference between a lot of these themes is how deeply it's delved into.
Love can be about the basic, "love at first sight, happily ever after" cliche. Or you can look into the highs and lows of being in love, such as long term grief from heartbreak, emotional baggage, overcoming differences in a relationship, etc.
You don't need to alienate adults to entertain children, and vice versa.
User avatar
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Spinehog wrote:I'd say so. At the very least from a marketing perspective I suspect SEGA would have more success if they brought more attention to their older fans. How that translates to making games tho' Idk, short of created Taxman Sonic 5.

Isn't this basically what everyone wants?
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Meliden » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm personally not interested in getting another classic iteration, regardless of the creative force behind it.
User avatar
Meliden
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: ベクエス

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Spinehog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Spinehog wrote:I'd say so. At the very least from a marketing perspective I suspect SEGA would have more success if they brought more attention to their older fans. How that translates to making games tho' Idk, short of created Taxman Sonic 5.

Isn't this basically what everyone wants?


That was my point, that making Taxman Sonic 5 goes without saying, but I don't know what else an adult targeting SEGA would do.
User avatar
Spinehog
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: The 'Nadian North.

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Kevin160nitroncaron3 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:19 am

Spinehog wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:
Spinehog wrote:I'd say so. At the very least from a marketing perspective I suspect SEGA would have more success if they brought more attention to their older fans. How that translates to making games tho' Idk, short of created Taxman Sonic 5.

Isn't this basically what everyone wants?


That was my point, that making Taxman Sonic 5 goes without saying, but I don't know what else an adult targeting SEGA would do.

Nothing but Sonic working at a bank and be bored about it.

First 3 seasons of Spongebob were written to be timeless. I am sure anyone can write for Sonic and its concepts to target kids and adults.
Kevin160nitroncaron3
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Auklin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:03 am

I watched that video and felt like I was sitting in on a Sega board meeting with all the fans shouting "STAWWWPP!!!! DON'T DO IT!!! IT'S THE SAME REASONING THAT HAS BEEN SCREWING YOU OVER FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS!!!"

Anyways, as I said in the comments, he is giving us the good foundations of a game, but simultaneously purposing another idea that will split the fan base even more. Similar to what Skylanders did to Spyro. If he left Sonic out of the equation, I would have agreed with him.

I don't know what is in store for Sonic. I think that whatever they choose for the future of this character, it should be a formula/ concept that the fans agree on, while also being (and this is important), at its core, a GOOD. GAME. With good gameplay, good writing, and good overall design.

I'll be totally honest with everyone, I'm counting the days until Sega goes belly up, I don't think they can keep doing this much longer.
User avatar
Auklin
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Mordum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm

WiNTER BELLS wrote:
Spoiler: show
Mordum wrote:
WiNTER BELLS wrote:The Nostalgia Critic's video, Are Kids Shows Better NOW Than Ever?, can probably explain it better than myself.
I really doubt it can.

The Nostalgia Critic can't be in any conversation about maturity because he himself represents the vast infantilized pop culture.

EDIT: Aaaand just watched. Agreed with the basic point (because, yeah, on average, shows for kids are better now) but he makes a lot of leaps and assumptions that, like usual, hold basically no weight.

I'm going to guess that you forgot to include your counter point in regards to our discussion earlier... or you ran out of time.
What I'm trying to get across is that children's shows can have adult themes. The main difference between a lot of these themes is how deeply it's delved into.
Love can be about the basic, "love at first sight, happily ever after" cliche. Or you can look into the highs and lows of being in love, such as long term grief from heartbreak, emotional baggage, overcoming differences in a relationship, etc.
You don't need to alienate adults to entertain children, and vice versa.


Yeah, but the Nostalgia Critic is comparing shows who don't even have the same goals. Why would you compare Tiny Toons to Adventure Time in ANY context, when Tiny Toons is largely designed as a pop cultural pastiche, and specific homage to the classical cartoon characters who were largely designed to be comedians performing sets, and Adventure Time is a coming of age character dramedy? Why not compare Tiny Toons to something like Teen Titans Go or Gumball, the ACTUAL shows it more greatly resembles in terms of execution and intent?

The argument also quietly insists that drama is inherently superior to, and inherently has more depth than, comedy, which is another can of worms altogether but IS a pretty false assumption you only tend to hear from a certain type of (dare I say) nostalgic type of nerd and not necessarily a nerd who's super well versed.

So, yeah, he doesn't really know what he's talking about. As usual.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:17 pm

The reason I put up the video was because I felt it would better convey what I was trying to say than I could. The rest of it I don't care about.
I guess I don't give myself enough credit when it comes to explaining my own stance.
User avatar
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Mordum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Yeah. If it helps, you conveyed your point way better than the video did. What you say makes perfect sense, whereas the Nostalgia Critic is just an idiot.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Mordum wrote:Yeah. If it helps, you conveyed your point way better than the video did. What you say makes perfect sense, whereas the Nostalgia Critic is just an idiot.


In fairness a lot of Internet Critics personas are to play idiots (Brad Jones has said a bunch that The Cinema Snob is an idiot) the important thing is to separate them from the real people.
User avatar
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Angel Grove, CA

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby Mordum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:32 pm

The cited video isn't the persona.

And I've seen his non-persona videos beyond that one. He's not any smarter.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Should Sonic target adults?

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Mordum wrote:The cited video isn't the persona.

And I've seen his non-persona videos beyond that one. He's not any smarter.


Oh trust me I have lost a ton of respect for Walker but I still think it's an important factor to remember. Especially for people ho take Internet Critics words at face value.
User avatar
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Angel Grove, CA

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron