Chicks Dig Blue Hedgehogs

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Chicks Dig Blue Hedgehogs

Postby HavocAngel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Mikail wrote:Let's just hope SEGA doesn't view this information and pull a Young Justice on us.
What happened with Young Justice?
HavocAngel
BumbleNewbie

Postby TurboTailz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:57 pm

HavocAngel wrote:
Mikail wrote:Let's just hope SEGA doesn't view this information and pull a Young Justice on us.

They pull the plug on Young Justice on Cartoon Network like they did with Thunder Cats 2011.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby HavocAngel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:08 pm

TurboTailz wrote:
HavocAngel wrote:

They pull the plug on Young Justice on Cartoon Network like they did with Thunder Cats 2011.

Due to audience demographics? Huh. Weird. That wouldn't make any sense to me, but if that's how people react then I see your concern.
HavocAngel
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mikail » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:51 pm

HavocAngel wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:
HavocAngel wrote:

Due to audience demographics? Huh. Weird. That wouldn't make any sense to me, but if that's how people react then I see your concern.

Well the executives thought that women (who were actually the majority of people watching the show) wouldn't buy the merchandise and that's why they pulled the plug. It's of course idiotic to think that, but there you go.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Also, when it comes to merchandise how can they account that their mom or sister buys said merch for a family member or a friend. That's why I kind of think basing sales on who buys it is totally inaccurate.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 pm

You're all incorrect. Gender of who bought the toys was irrelevant. The fact the toys didn't get bought enough by ANYONE cancelled the show.

You're confusing the encouragement of aiming a show toward males with "only males matter." If you actually think that girls buying toys would be ignored completely, you have no idea how business works. NOBODY, of any gender, bought the toys enough to justify renewing the show.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby HavocAngel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:23 am

Mordum wrote:You're all incorrect. Gender of who bought the toys was irrelevant. The fact the toys didn't get bought enough by ANYONE cancelled the show.

You're confusing the encouragement of aiming a show toward males with "only males matter." If you actually think that girls buying toys would be ignored completely, you have no idea how business works. NOBODY, of any gender, bought the toys enough to justify renewing the show.

I'll have to keep this in mind every time a show gets cancelled. I always wondered why they cancel good shows. Never really equated it with merch at all.
HavocAngel
BumbleNewbie

Postby FritzyBeat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:09 am

HavocAngel wrote:
Mordum wrote:You're all incorrect. Gender of who bought the toys was irrelevant. The fact the toys didn't get bought enough by ANYONE cancelled the show.

I'll have to keep this in mind every time a show gets cancelled. I always wondered why they cancel good shows. Never really equated it with merch at all.

I guess it depends on how much the company funding the show wants to rely on toy sales at all. There are a ton of great shows that got out there just trying their best to be a good TV show. Usually when a good TV show gets canceled for lack of merch sales, it's because the company that commissioned the show was really just intending to make a 20 minute commercial for said merchandise, and just so happened to commission a studio that really wanted to turn it into a great TV show regardless.

Sometimes it works out, like with My Little Pony for example, where both parties end up happy cause the show is good and the merch sells. Other times however, like (apparently) in the case of Young Justice you all tell me, it supposedly didn't matter to the corporation how good the show was if it wasn't going to sell the merch they originally commissioned the show in order to sell.
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:38 am

Young Justice was not a toy commercial per se. It WAS, technically, but the toyline was built around the show, the show wasn't built around a toyline (like My Little Pony or the Hasbro brands are). A minor, but important, distinction.

The toyline was, however, the main source of revenue for the show's budget. It's a symbiotic relationship. The toys exist largely to fund the show, and the show happens to encourage the purchase of toys.

In theory.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Kellox » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:52 am

Too be fair sometimes gender DOES mather when it comes to canning a show or not, (but like said before if sells it sells! they do not care) but there seems to be this mindset that boys are more profitable then girls,

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Modifyers for example was canceled because Nick wanted to have a show that would sell more toys and they told the creators that girls do not buy enough toys, CN canceled it because they believed Boys and girls want different sort of toys and they wanted to get into the boy's action market because they believed there is already plenty enough of shows for girls. (Hmm..) despite the fact Modifyers wasn't going for any target audience in the first place it was a fun cartoon that paid homage to the old 60's cartoons.

It took the creator of Oban Star Racer 8 years to get the show started because most companies wanted him to change the gender of the main character because they could sell more merchandise and he has to go to a Japanese studio for the sake of not losing creative control.

All of this just sounds very bizarre to me because it seems like kid shows like Power Puff Girls and Atomic Betty were forgotten?

Trough It does explain to me why as a kid I could never found a Katara or Toph toy figure, or any merchandise of shows I really loved like As told by Ginger or Braceface.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:59 am

Marketing logic is under the impression that action figures and roleplay toys, the traditional mainstay of a toyline, don't appeal to girls as much as they do to boys. Whether that's true or not, I dunno, but I haven't exactly done any studies myself. But it's worth noting that toy companies DO have to be partnered with to make toys happen, and someone can fuss about gendering all they want, but if the toy company that's partnered with the show only makes a certain type of product or has success with certain marketing strategies, it's not like you can really try to make them be a special case for you.

And to give Mattel credit, they DID have action figures of the female characters. I'd still like that Cheshire toy, and I don't even collect toys (I just think the Phil Bourassa Cheshire design is cool as @#$%). And Nickelodeon did focus research during Legend of Korra and boys thought Korra was cool. I don't know if the gender bias is as severe as people say, but it's more like some of the funding and merchandising strategies from outside companies are a little outdated. But not AS outdated, maybe, as we'd like to think.

As for Oban, Molly's gender was a huge concern, but it's not like the Japanese studio was a cake walk either. Very notably, a director on staff had, without Eiffel's permission, attempted to turn Molly into a Sailor Moon-esque magical girl. The Japanese are somewhat notorious co-producers, dating all the way back to Mysterious Cities of Gold.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:59 am

Well boys shows I think are suppose to focus one toy sales, back in the pretty much most of the animated TV shows are based off of some kind of toyline. That starts with the day but if you noticed most of those are girls shows now. In the overall market sales of boy toys has gone down dramatically while in the past these were above the sales of toys for girls, now the girl toys rein on top.

The reason I've heard for this change of market is that nowadays the boys that toy company ceased aim at would rather invest our time into play video games then into play in the plastic figurine.

Although you'd think of the shift was boys attention from toys to videogames there'd be more attempts to make action shows based off of some popular videogames. Specially with some videogames that kind of work like toys. MMO's games tend to have online purchases what makes them the new toys. What makes the lack of something like a World of Warcraft or a League of Legends animated series confusing. I mean am truly shocked we haven't seen Skylanders animated series.

Yes the still animated action shows around by a lot of them are higher budget shows based off of long established franchises or lower budget cartoony action shows based off of original ideas. But there seems to be a real lack of anything new among the higher budget series.

Anyway apparently according to toy marketing girls don't play as many videogames and therefore have more time to play with toys. That and I have seen more of a wider marketing and mercherdising with stuff aimed at girls. Stuff like Umbrellas, blankets, towels, T-shirts, fun little knickknacks and jewelry.

Cartoon Network said they canceled Young Justice because they didn't think you're enough boys were watching to make toy sales worth anything. And they didn't even want to try to make the knickknacks they needed to sell to girls.

Well anyway in giving how the merchandising that Sonic the Hedgehog has I think Sega is well aware of the female demographic of Sonic.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:19 pm

The huge amount of lore Sonic has makes it a goldmine of potential for fanfiction, fanart, fancharacters and shipping, all of which tend to be more popular with the female crowd.

Tails and Shadow make the ladies go crazy too. Sonic X even references this at one point. Sonic X actually seemed to cater towards young girls a lot, especially with all the SonAmy stuff in it that REALLY kicked off the shipping wars back in the day on deviantArt.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby HavocAngel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:17 pm

The huge amount of lore Sonic has makes it a goldmine of potential for fanfiction, fanart, fancharacters and shipping, all of which tend to be more popular with the female crowd.
I never realized this. ever. Is this statistically accurate?

...the shipping wars back in the day on deviantArt
Oh no. All of the flashbacks... The horrible flashbacks!

The horror!
HavocAngel
BumbleNewbie

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:41 pm

HavocAngel wrote:
I never realized this. ever. Is this statistically accurate?

To be perfectly honest no, that's just in my experience. It may be totally false, but not from what I keep seeing. Boys tend to "grow out of" fanfiction and fancharacters and shipping and all that jazz (not fanart though, oddly enough), but according to all the creative female Sonic fans I know, they're still doing all that in their adult years.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius