Cream's Presence Needs to Start Mattering

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Cream's Presence Needs to Start Mattering

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 am

I’ll admit, I am incredibly hesitant to start this topic since, being new to forums, I don’t know how to “properly” start topics and because this topic is kind of a controversial one, which was kind of already discussed in the Spoilers/Discussion for Sonic the Hedgehog 274 (World's Unite Part 7) a bit. Though that discussion in that particular thread was only about a single moment whereas in here I intend on discussing many moments from past comics regarding this character’s role… But anyway, this “issue” has been going on for a long time and right now I strongly feel that something needs to be said about it. Besides, I didn’t get a chance to speak my view on this whole situation so now’s my chance to get this whole thing off my chest while also providing context as to why I think this subject needs to be addressed. I only hope that I don’t break any rules or offend anyone with what I have written; I have tried my best to make it as “good” as possible. (There’s a TL;DR version at the bottom for those who don’t like long, impassioned reads)

So! Cream the Rabbit... For the longest time she had never made an official appearance within the continuity of Archie Sonic, which I find incredibly weird since Cream was a pretty prominent character in the games, frequently appearing alongside the main characters, and was even a main character in Sonic X, not to mention every other game character got to be in the comics shortly after the debut in the games yet Cream of all characters didn't join the comics until the release of StH 217 in September of 2010, EIGHT long years after her debut in Sonic Advance 2. I know that was because of a (very, very stupid) mandate by SEGA listing her as a "Sonic X Exclusive" for whatever reason but the point remains that Cream didn't get to join the comics alongside her friends for too long. Now that Cream is in the comics, what important or significant stuff has she done?

Well that's the issue: for the entire time Cream has been in the comics she hasn't done anything of importance or significance. The only times where I can say Cream actually did something was when she rescued Bunnie after she got accidentally hit by Naugus, figuring out the true nature of Tails Doll (after inadvertently allowing it to cause damage to the city while watching over it), and leading the rescue to save the Freedom Fighters in StH 267. But the majority of the time Cream is either flying around and carrying people (the most basic thing any flying Sonic character can do), trying to participate in a fight or do something helpful (such as suggesting the idea to ram Captain Metal’s ship or asking Bean and Bark to help fight Metal Sonic) only to be shown as ineffectual, and most recently acting as a "waitress" for the Freedom Fighters and staying on Sky Patrol doing absolutely nothing. So, as far as I can tell, Cream’s contributions in the comics have been pretty much meaningless: if you ask me, that's a big problem. I mean, Cream already faces much criticism for her perceived uselessness, a perception that isn’t too unfounded since the games never really gave her much to do and even Sonic X didn’t use Cream very well. Heck, someone on this very forum even made a topic long ago basically asking “do we have to bring in Cream? What is she going to do for the comic?” So of course I’m hoping that the comic, which actually makes good use of all the characters, would change that perception; to show that Cream, at the very least, has potential to be useful and possess valuable utility for the franchise. Is that happening though? No. In fact, Cream’s current position in the comics is kind of proving those people right! She’s been in this comic for five years and what useful thing has she done? Has her character at all justified her existence and position in the comics for those past five years? As far as I'm concerned, no she hasn't and it's all because she isn't being allowed to.

What’s even more frustrating is that there have been times where Cream could’ve legitimately taken part in a story but never did, such as World’s Collide! Every other Sonic character, even Charmy, who hasn’t appeared nearly as much as Cream and is arguably a more inept character due to his incredible immaturity, got to play a major part in the crossover but Cream gets one, very tiny cameo. And then there’s “Waves of Change”, which has the Chao playing an essential role in the plot. Does Cream, the character most associated with Chao and would be the most experienced with them, take part in this story? No, she doesn’t. She just stays on Sky Patrol with Big and Bunnie, doing absolutely nothing while an entire story about Chao, her forte, is going on. And now we’re in the second crossover, World’s Unite, and this time Cream is taking part. Good! So what has she done in there? She summons Gemerl to help fight M’egga Man; only for Gemerl to get soundly destroyed by him. And then there’s issue 274, where its preview showed Cream running outside along with Roll with a first aid kit, so it looks like she’s going to fulfill the role as the medic. That’s great! The Freedom Fighters don’t really have a medic and that is a suitable role for Cream! But then that turns out to be false moment for her when we see what exactly she did with that first-aid…

Spoiler: show
She puts a plaster on Sally... She uses a single BAND-AID on one character… This is the second and most likely last crossover that the Sonic comic will ever have and the most Cream had done in the only one she got to take part in is summon another character who gets soundly trashed and give one person a band-aid.

I keep getting excited when I hear news that Cream is going to appear in a story and every single time I end up bitterly disappointed. Cream’s presence in the comic should matter but it hasn’t mattered ever since her debut appearance. There are people being optimistic and saying “Don’t worry, Cream will get her time. She will get to prove herself soon.” Well, I agree she will get her time but when is that time? I thought StH 267 was going to be Cream’s “time” since she pretty much saved the Freedom Fighters from death. That was the perfect opportunity to develop Cream’s role and have her ascend as well as develop Sally’s character by having her realize and acknowledge that, if not for Cream, she and the rest of the team would be DEAD. But instead Sally sobs in self-pity and continues to keep Cream on the sidelines, despite Cream being the reason she and her friends are still alive. I’ve been waiting a LONG time for Cream to finally appear in the comic and now I’m waiting a long time for her to do stuff.

Oh, actually I must ask: why does Cream need to prove herself exactly? Sure, Pre-Reboot Cream did need to prove herself since she was new to adventuring but Post-Reboot almost all the games had occurred in the comics, meaning Sonic Advance 2, Heroes, Battle, Advance 3, and Rush has canonically happened, meaning this Cream is already experienced with adventuring! At that point, she doesn’t need to prove herself so this whole “keeping her on the sidelines for her own safety” is entirely unnecessary, especially after the aforementioned saving the Freedom Fighters from death. This had already been done with Tails and Amy and in both cases it was unwarranted so why do this to Cream? At this point it feels like Cream is only on the Freedom Fighters just so Sally can continue being the “nurturing big sister”, keeping Cream on the sidelines like she did Tails before “for her own safety,” instead of having a legitimate role on the team. She’s a Freedom Fighter now yet she’s not doing any freedom fighting. It’s also kind of annoying cause Cream is Amy’s sidekick yet right now Cream is being treated more like Sally's sidekick and this whole thing greatly neglects Cream’s abilities as a fighter.

“But in Sonic Battle-“ YES, she didn’t fight for the first few times. She just stood back and let Emerl do all the fighting. But in that same game, after Emerl got overwhelmed, Cream realized that she has to fight to help him, successfully saved Emerl and defeated the enemies, and learned in the end to fight when it is necessary, so that example doesn’t really work. Oh and don’t even try to tell me that Cream isn’t a fighter cause, quite frankly, that’s wrong. The Advance games showed her to be an absolute powerhouse that can decimate enemies in seconds, in Sonic Battle she was one of the higher tier characters with the best heal in the game, and Sonic X showed her to be a very capable fighter; capable enough to destroy a rampaging Emerl, who had previously defeated Sonic, Knuckles, Rouge, and Amy with ease. Yes, she had Cheese helping her out in all those moments but that’s the point! Cream, while capable, isn’t very effective by herself and neither is Cheese but together those two are a force and so this whole sidelining them for “not being effective fighters”, quite honestly, doesn’t hold much water.

TL;DR- Cream hasn’t gotten to do anything of worth ever since she joined the comic and it’s seriously affecting her character in a bad way. Her appearances aren’t mattering for the plot in the slightest, in the times where her presence could’ve mattered are either glossed over or don’t even occur at all, and this only ends up proving the perception that Cream is “useless” correct. When is this going to change and why does she need to prove herself if she has already done so in numerous games and after saving the Freedom Fighters from death? Is she only present in the Freedom Fighters so Sally can continue being the “nurturing big sister” like she was with Tails? I also point out that Cream can fight, knows how to fight, and I don't understand the idea that she isn't a fighter/wouldn't be effective in a fight.

Well, that's all I have to say. I’ll try to refrain from making posts like this again and I'm incredibly sorry for my harshness. But, for now, what do you all have to say about this? Do you agree that Cream’s potential is being ignored or would you actually argue that she’s doing perfectly fine in the narrative? Am I justified in my feelings and do some of you feel the same or am I making too big a deal out of this?

EDIT- Changed a few sentences to make a better argument.
Last edited by FancyFool on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Re: Cream's Role in the FF and the Comic as a Whole

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:20 am

I don't much care for Cream, to be honest. But I know some people seem to be upset that she is treated very different from Tails, despite their similar ages. To me, the main difference seems to be that Tails desparately wanted to be a Freedom Fighter and had to prove his worth to the concerned parental figures. Cream doesn't seem to show very much desire to be a gung-ho action hero. She certainly wants to help, but she doesn't seem like she really wants to be out in the thick of things. She seems like she wants to be in a support role, and I don't think there's anything really wrong with that.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:47 am

Astrobot7000 wrote:I don't much care for Cream, to be honest. But I know some people seem to be upset that she is treated very different from Tails, despite their similar ages. To me, the main difference seems to be that Tails desparately wanted to be a Freedom Fighter and had to prove his worth to the concerned parental figures. Cream doesn't seem to show very much desire to be a gung-ho action hero. She certainly wants to help, but she doesn't seem like she really wants to be out in the thick of things. She seems like she wants to be in a support role, and I don't think there's anything really wrong with that.

Though I'm not really upset that she is treated differently from Tails. I acknowledge that, though they are of similar age, Tails is not only Sonic's sidekick but Tails is incredibly intelligent. I'm more upset that Cream hasn't gotten to do anything meaningful whereas other characters, even Big and Charmy, have.

I can't say I really agree that Cream doesn't want to be out in the thick of things. If that's the case then why did she go on a very perilous adventure to save her mother by herself in Sonic Advance 2? Why did she go on a very long journey to save Chocola in Heroes? Yes, she was accompanied by Amy and Big in the latter scenario but she still could've simply stayed behind and let them do all the work. Instead, Cream joined them in that crazy adventure, even after things started getting bleak what with the haunted castle and Metal Sonic's transformation. Cream may not like violence but she knows when it's necessary and doesn't shy away from it when that's the case.

Though you have a point in that she most likely prefers a support role and I myself do agree that a support role is fitting for Cream, given her character. But even a "Support" can have a meaningful impact in the narrative. For example:

Spoiler: show
In Sonic the Hedgehog 274, someone could've gotten injured during the battle. The injury is pretty major but they can't be moved to safety because the fight got more heated. That would've been a good moment for Cream to run out with the first-aid and heal the injured character, braving the potential danger and helping the character back into the fight. That way Cream fulfills a "Support" role and manages to have an impact by influencing the important fight, assuming the injured character was important. But instead, Cream goes out to help after the fight and the worst injury that she could heal only needed a band-aid, so that moment doesn't have any meaning even as a Support role
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:44 pm

In the Sonic games Cream I think is forced to be more independent, it's not like Archie Sonic where she living on an air ship and can't walk ten feet with out finding an adult.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:31 pm

ReifuTD wrote:In the Sonic games Cream I think is forced to be more independent, it's not like Archie Sonic where she living on an air ship and can't walk ten feet with out finding an adult.

That is true and I would agree if this was Pre-Reboot Archie Sonic. However, as said, in Post-Reboot Archie Sonic the games did happen, they now are fully canon to the comic, which means this incarnation of Cream has experienced those adventures and indeed was forced to be more independent. Those adults should know that and should acknowledge that this little girl was able to handle herself in pretty perilous situations and so this constant sidelining isn't necessary, especially since she earnestly wants to help out in the field.
But if Cream's seriously not allowed to go out in the field because the adults say so, fine. Cream can stay on Sky Patrol while missions go on but it would be nice if her character is developing as that goes on, to show that her role in the Freedom Fighters isn't meaningless. In StH 257, Cream rallied the Freedom Fighters while Sally was having a breakdown and Nicole was consoling her; that's a good start, but we don't get to see it happen and Cream never does something like that again as she spends the rest of her time in the Freedom Fighters handing out cookies and doing nothing of visible importance.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:09 pm

In the games, Cream is God Tier. The comics have a tendency to somewhat nerf some of the SEGA casts' abilities. Pre-reboot, they've only shown Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Big that one time doing a spin attack. In actuality, everyone from Sonic Heroes should be able to as well. Cream alone hasn't displayed any combat skills despite receiving training in Super Sonic Special. Charmy's a different story since he's got a stinger he can use offensively and he's got a more guns blazing personality. Also, there probably a stigma on violence against 6 year old girls. Its still an injustice though.
Last edited by Azul on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Azul wrote:In the games, Cream is God Tier. The comics have a tendency to somewhat nerf some of the SEGA casts' abilities. Pre-reboot, they've only shown Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Big that one time doing a spin attack. In actuality, everyone from Sonic Heroes should be able tonas well. Cream alone hasn't displayed any combat skills despite receiving training in Super Sonic Special. Charmy's a different story since he's got a stinger he can use offensively and he's got a more guns blazing personality. Also, there probably a stigma on violence against 6 year old girls. Its still an injustice though.

Hm, that is a good point about the nerfing of abilities. And it is true that Charmy has an in-built weapon and more of a "fighting spirit". But, at the same time, Charmy is just SO immature that I can't help but see him as more of a hindrance in battle, much like Marine was in SU 1, so the fact that he gets to do actual stuff while Cream hasn't is why I'm kind of annoyed. Cream may be childish at times but she is heck of a lot more mature and level-headed than Charmy.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:40 pm

FancyFool wrote:The Advance games showed her to be an absolute powerhouse that can decimate enemies in seconds, in Sonic Battle she was one of the higher tier characters with the best heal in the game, and Sonic X showed her to be a very capable fighter; capable enough to destroy a rampaging Emerl, who had previously defeated Sonic, Knuckles, Rouge, and Amy with ease. Yes, she had Cheese helping her out in all those moments but that’s the point! Cream, while capable, isn’t very effective by herself and neither is Cheese but together those two are a force and so this whole sidelining them for “not being effective fighters”, quite honestly, doesn’t hold much water.

Rule 1: Never assume that gameplay shows which character is stronger. By that logic Tails is way better then Sonic in classic games and in Rival series Rouge can run as fast as Sonic or Shadow.

With that said, I don't think that Cream really did all that much in games. Most of her appearance (Advance 2&3, Heroes, Battles) there were other heroes helping her, so it's hard to say how much she achieved on her own. Sure, she probably beat few badniks, but they are lowest level enemies.

Ok, so why she gets to little screen time?
Comic world answer: she's the youngest and least experience. Sally keeps her as last resort, which actually saved their lives in 266/267.
Real world answer: She's not popular enough. Flynn has to many characters to on his hands: first he pushes Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy (for sales) then Satam cast (for balance), then Big (because Flynn really likes him). That leaves poor Cream last. She might get her own Sonic Universe, but I'm not sure if she's popular enough. Most likely she might get few pages as Amy's sidekick.

If that makes you feel any better, in 272 she clearly said that she wants to go on mission. Adding Sally's behavior in Unite and I'm 90% sure Flynn has plans for her.

Personally I don't think much about Cream. She was adorable in "Treasure Team Tango", sometimes annoying in Sonic X and just 'there' in any other appearance.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:15 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Rule 1: Never assume that gameplay shows which character is stronger. By that logic Tails is way better then Sonic in classic games and in Rival series Rouge can run as fast as Sonic or Shadow.

OK, fair point and my most honest mistake.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:With that said, I don't think that Cream really did all that much in games. Most of her appearance (Advance 2&3, Heroes, Battles) there were other heroes helping her, so it's hard to say how much she achieved on her own. Sure, she probably beat few badniks, but they are lowest level enemies.

OK, that is also a fair point. But how can Advance 2 really count? Cream wasn't being helped out by the other heroes in that game. Sonic even ran off directly after saving her and before she could even mention her mother being kidnapped, so that would have to mean Cream did go on a perilous adventure by herself, having a hand at defeating Eggman on occasion, and since Vanilla only appears at the end of Cream's story then part of Cream's story at least has to be canon.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Ok, so why she gets to little screen time?
Comic world answer: she's the youngest and least experience. Sally keeps her as last resort, which actually saved their lives in 266/267.
Real world answer: She's not popular enough. Flynn has to many characters to on his hands: first he pushes Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy (for sales) then Satam cast (for balance), then Big (because Flynn really likes him). That leaves poor Cream last. She might get her own Sonic Universe, but I'm not sure if she's popular enough. Most likely she might get few pages as Amy's sidekick.

*Sigh* Yeah, that is the unfortunate thing about Cream. She's only popular in Japan because her character has greater appeal there, while the Western countries not so much. However, the amount of screen time Cream gets isn't what I'm taking issue with. Well, it's part of the issue but my primary problem is that Cream hasn't gotten to do anything meaningful or important in the five years in the comic, after being denied access to the comics for eight entire years.
And actually Cream's lack of popularity is why I am getting annoyed at her being sidelined and not doing anything meaningful. For example, Silver used to be one of THE most hated Sonic character thanks to his debut game (that shall not be named) but the comics managed to "save" his character and redeemed him in the eyes of many fans. Similar deal with Big to an extent; he's still an extremely unpopular character but, from what I can tell, people like his Archie counterpart a lot. I want THAT to be happening to Cream, for her comic incarnation to show people that she is a capable character, she is more than just a "polite, helpless little girl" that she is currently seen as and is the major reason she is unpopular. But Archie Cream not doing anything important or meaningful, being shunted to the sidelines and merely serving coffee, doesn't do that at all. As said in my post, it kinda proves the "Cream is useless" notion right because she hasn't been visibly useful in the comic ever since her debut.

EDIT:

MetalSkulkBane wrote:If that makes you feel any better, in 272 she clearly said that she wants to go on mission. Adding Sally's behavior in Unite and I'm 90% sure Flynn has plans for her.

Sorry for not replying to this set of words initially. But that does fill me with hope that Cream will get to do something soon (so long that soon is within a month or two and not an entire year later soon). At least unlike the Tails Doll plot, which was definitely building up to Cream doing something important, this potential moment won't be ruined.
Last edited by FancyFool on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Spin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:35 pm

On the topic of the Sally/Cream debate.

Can't say for certain as the comic isn't allowed to divulge into the history of SegaSonic characters. But I don't get a sense from past mentions that Sonic was truly part of the Freedom Fighters.

They might have helped Sonic out via doing side quests behind the scenes. But I would like to think in the early days Sonic didn't really need them. And if we go with that, it'd make sense why a current eight year old fights in the group. If Sally had no direct input in Tails upbringings unlike the old continuity where Tails was always there in the beginning and was the baby of the group. Though if Sonic picked up the orphan via the Sonic 2 adaption, and acted as his lone guardian. Sally couldn't put her foot down and bark orders if Sonic was under his own jurisdiction.

Now however, times have changed. Sonic is a team player. And it's all about the power of friendship. Cream's attitude on the otherhand with so many unseen game adaptions already incorporated into the reboot from the get go. It wouldn't be strange if she's a bit more proactive. Especially if it's for the fate of the world as opposed to just saving a city from Eggman.

So that's why I don't hate that scene as much as when Sally sat there and talked down to Amy in the old continuity. Not to say Ian won't come along in the future and make my interpretation void.

Whether or not Cream belongs in the Freedom Fighters or not. It's hard to say. I'm not a fan of the lineup in general. It's SatAM Freedom Fighters & Team Rose with Omochao and T Pup thrown in. It doesn't really bring anything new or exciting to the table. It just jams as many characters into the spotlight of main characters as possible.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:47 pm

Spin wrote:Whether or not Cream belongs in the Freedom Fighters or not. It's hard to say. I'm not a fan of the lineup in general. It's SatAM Freedom Fighters & Team Rose with Omochao and T Pup thrown in. It doesn't really bring anything new or exciting to the table. It just jams as many characters into the spotlight of main characters as possible.

I will agree that it's crowdy on the Sky Patrol.

FancyFool wrote:*Sigh* Yeah, that is the unfortunate thing about Cream. She's only popular in Japan because her character has greater appeal there, while the Western countries not so much. However, the amount of screen time Cream gets isn't what I'm taking issue with. Well, it's part of the issue but my primary problem is that Cream hasn't gotten to do anything meaningful or important in the five years in the comic, after being denied access to the comics for eight entire years.
And actually Cream's lack of popularity is why I am getting annoyed at her being sidelined and not doing anything meaningful. For example, Silver used to be one of THE most hated Sonic character thanks to his debut game (that shall not be named) but the comics managed to "save" his character and redeemed him in the eyes of many fans. Similar deal with Big to an extent; he's still an extremely unpopular character but, from what I can tell, people like his Archie counterpart a lot. I want THAT to be happening to Cream, for her comic incarnation to show people that she is a capable character, she is more than just a "polite, helpless little girl" that she is currently seen as and is the major reason she is unpopular. But Archie Cream not doing anything important or meaningful, being shunted to the sidelines and merely serving coffee, doesn't do that at all. As said in my post, it kinda proves the "Cream is useless" notion right because she hasn't been visibly useful in the comic ever since her debut.

Hmm fair point. Silver is a little more important than Cream and Flynn's purposely giving Big extra time, but still.

Maybe Flynn doesn't know what to do with her? You obviously like Cream, can you tell us why?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:04 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:You obviously like Cream, can you tell us why?

Yeah, she's one of my favorite Sonic characters, nay, one of my absolute favorite characters of all time (sharing the spot alongside Sonic, Tails, and Amy)! As to why I like her that much, well, it's admittedly hard to explain ^^; I guess a good part of it is that I simply find her character very appealing: I find her adorable, I like her personality, and I find it interesting that she is able to fly with her ears and that she has a pet accompanying her that also actually contributes to her gameplay by being a projectile. Though I think the major reason why is because of Cream's more awesome qualities that I took a special notice of.
Think about it; Cream is a sheltered and sensitive little girl yet in most of her appearances she was one of the better characters. We all already know about her broken status in the Advance games but there's also Battle, where (as said) Cream is one of the high tier characters, mostly because of her healing ability (which is deemed as the best heal in that game). Sonic Chronicles, Cream becomes the most powerful White Mage ever if only because of her PP restoring move. Even in the first Sonic Riders, where Cream wasn't intentionally powerful, she can easily dominate the game by using the Light Board. And outside of the games we have Sonic X, where Cream managed to defeat Emerl with only help from Cheese, after Emerl already curb-stomped her more capable friends. Seriously, Cream is surprisingly hardcore and I honestly think that's the idea of her character; she's cute and polite but she is secretly a force to be reckoned with, and I find that idea very appealing.
I also think a good reason why I favor Cream is because of how unappreciated she is; I have a habit of loving the things that are unpopular, assuming I like them in the first place (such as the Werehog for instance) so seeing how unpopular Cream is makes my already present appeal for her sky rockets, I guess to fill the void. I don't know if that explains things very well but that's the best way I can describe it.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Pengi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:28 pm

I think Cream and Big work best as ordinary civillian characters, who only accidentally get involved in crazy adventures on very rare occassions.

It adds more verisimilitude and variety to Sonic's world when there are animal characters who aren't super-heroes.
Pengi
BumbleCitizen

Postby FancyFool » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Pengi wrote:I think Cream and Big work best as ordinary civillian characters, who only accidentally get involved in crazy adventures on very rare occassions.

It adds more verisimilitude and variety to Sonic's world when there are animal characters who aren't super-heroes.

Well, I'm sorry, but I heavily, heavily disagree with that thought in regards to Cream. I can understand that with Big because it fits his character; he's not the kind of guy who gets involved in bad situations unless it becomes personal. But that is NOT the case with Cream; she actively partakes in adventures when given the chance and seems to enjoy them, no matter how dangerous they can be. She didn't have anything personal at stake in Sonic Advance 3, she didn't need to get involved in that adventure, but she was quick to join her friends after meeting with them. And in Sonic Chronicles, after rescuing Cheese, Cream very quickly asks to join the group in the adventure and, should she be refused, she asks again a dozen times before giving up. Cream WANTS to be a hero and to help out other people, especially her friends (all of whom are heroes of a sort). To demote her to an ordinary civilian who very rarely gets involved would just be wasting her character, especially after all the development and potential she showed. That kind of thing happened with Rotor and I don't think his fans were amused with that decision, it won't be any better if done to Cream.

In fact, that brings to mind something about Cream that always bugs me. Why do people always compare her to Big? Big was only playable in three games and every other time appeared as a cameo in a rare few games. Cream, on the other hand, was playable in eight games and had major plot relevant role in one (Sonic Rush). And outside of the games, Cream was a main character in Sonic X and appeared in nearly every episode whereas Big, to my knowledge, only had relevant appearances in the Sonic Adventure Arc. Those two are just not comparable...
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:16 pm

The personal stake in Sonic Advance 3 was that she had been kidnapped, so she was dragged along for the ride whether she wanted to or not.

And I consider Chronicles a terrible source for seeing how characters are characterised, that game got so much wrong. It's the only time Cream has actively made herself involved as opposed to getting involved once she ends up in the mess.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius