Interview with New Sonic editor Vincent Lovallo

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Interview with New Sonic editor Vincent Lovallo

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:30 pm

shigamado wrote:http://segabits.com/blog/2015/07/20/interview-new-sonic-comic-editor-vincent-lovallo/

News highlights include:

Lupe will return with the Wolfpack (Likely an entirely new one)

They're looking to fit new Sonic Boom stories in digests or Super Specials.

The Archie action line (Sonic/Megman) will expand with new titles in the future.

Big happy smile on my face :)
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Sam Z.G. » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:54 am

A capcom all-stars book featuring several short stories of lesser famous ip's could be nice. I know it's out or reach but a Splatoon comic would roll so hard with Archie.
Sam Z.G.
BumbleFan

Postby Matt7325 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:12 am

Oh gosh. The editor of my favourite comic is younger than I am. I don't know how to feel about that.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby shigamado » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:35 am

While I like Shante as much as the next guy and her adventures are pretty clean, it would still be "The adventures of heavy cleavage and her big-boobed friends" and I didn't think parents would take too kindly to that in a kids line of comics.

My vote would go to Crash Bandicoot. The video game mascot most in need of being boosted back into popularity. Why hasn't he had a new game in years? Does Activision still hold the rights to him? Why are they doing NOTHING with him? Not even adding him to Skylanders.
shigamado
BumbleClan

Postby Scruffy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:38 am

The Jazzyman wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:So, I guess I'm the only one hoping for Mario?

No, It's just Mario isn't the first thought to people head, there's so many other things out there Mario can't be everyone's #1.

What we need... comic Sonic meets a comic Mario!

I'm pretty sure Ian's been itching to write that story for years and years now. Why does the world not let him unleash this story of epic epicness?

...epicitude? Epicivity? Something epic like that, anyway...
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Chameleon Guy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:58 am

The new Archie Action titles are probably 4 part arcs of the franchises included in Worlds Unite, maybe more, but still Capcom and Sega stuff. Good anyway.

I'm kinda worried that Boom stories appearing the Digests, etc. might slow down Sonic Comic Origins a lot, I'm more interested in the latter.

Oh, and when Vincent Lovallo (great guy btw) says "things I can't talk about right now, characters you're not expecting to see", who might those be? The characters from Tails Skypatrol? More AoStHers? That would be cool.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:55 am

We're not expecting to see Karl Bollers' characters.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:48 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:We're not expecting to see Karl Bollers' characters.

The general audience wouldn't know that. Plus there's an actual reason why.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:53 am

Sam Z.G. wrote: I know it's out or reach but a Splatoon comic would roll so hard with Archie.

Yeah I second a Splatoon comic, That looks like something could make a fun a goofy series.

shigamado wrote:While I like Shante as much as the next guy and her adventures are pretty clean, it would still be "The adventures of heavy cleavage and her big-boobed friends" and I didn't think parents would take too kindly to that in a kids line of comics.

Well Shantae as a series thrives off of getting crap past the radar, The second game was pretty mild, First game had some innuendo plus the dancing for money. There are a few kinky scenes in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I've seen the Archies getaway with the same kind of stuff, Beside half of comicbooks is "The adventures of heavy cleavage."
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:04 am

Vincent Lovallo wrote:This Vin guy is pretty cool right? Howdy folks! Sorry I never really ever post on here, but I do try to check in every now and then to see what everybody is buzzing about.

Thanks for the kind words, and yes I am 24, one of the youngest in the Archie office! Been working hard on the getting all the new stories coordinated and hope everybody digs what we have down the pike, the super secret stuff too!

I am a huge Shantae fan btw. I would love to do that comic.

With that I shall disappear until I randomly post again!

:)

Holy Crap we're the same age. Neat. :(hearty laughter):
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Chameleon Guy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:53 am

Meliden wrote:

The general audience doesn't expect to see Team Dark again.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:55 am

Chameleon Guy wrote:
Meliden wrote:

The general audience doesn't expect to see Team Dark again.

I'm pretty sure there's enough aware of Shadow's history to know that he has a habit of dying and coming back, especially if they've read the comic since the reboot as well.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Polish Pete » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:43 am

shigamado wrote:While I like Shante as much as the next guy and her adventures are pretty clean, it would still be "The adventures of heavy cleavage and her big-boobed friends" and I didn't think parents would take too kindly to that in a kids line of comics.

My vote would go to Crash Bandicoot. The video game mascot most in need of being boosted back into popularity. Why hasn't he had a new game in years? Does Activision still hold the rights to him? Why are they doing NOTHING with him? Not even adding him to Skylanders.

As much as I love Crash Bandicoot, I don't think it would be wise at this moment after the big redesign overhaul done by Radical and Sierra. I'd rather wait until someone comes up with a new game that actually goes back to the roots of the Naughty Dog games (Nothing against any post-Naughty Dog Crash fans by any means, but after watching the cutscenes from Mind over Mutant, I felt like they were trying too hard to be "cool" with all those pointless references, it felt almost too juvenile).

I'd rather stick with Shantae like everyone else. It's a fairly good concept for a comic book series.

Other than that, maybe Toejam and Earl, or Banjo-Kazooie, or Sly Cooper, or Ratchet & Clank (probably the most likely choice right here). Those games have potential for a good comic book series.
Last edited by Polish Pete on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Oh silly me, I didn't see Jason's post before.

shigamado wrote:My vote would go to Crash Bandicoot. The video game mascot most in need of being boosted back into popularity. Why hasn't he had a new game in years? Does Activision still hold the rights to him? Why are they doing NOTHING with him? Not even adding him to Skylanders.

Basically, the thought is that Activision have stopped making Crash games because he could only sell over a million units (pretty sure Mind Over Mutant made it comfortably over 1m, possibly close to 2m) and wasn't a mega money maker like CoD or the later Skylanders, and after several cancelled games (you should have seen them, design reboots closer to the classic look and more classic-ish gameplay) they're just squatting on the IP so nobody else can use him. They've basically outright admitted they've no plans for him. And unlike Capcom, I can't see them even throwing a bone through a comic adaptation, there's not much for them to gain from that.

Pity really, given that a mere scrapped animation that was recently displayed generated so much interest so there is something there to be capitalised on.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:17 pm

I've never played Shante but as far I know the most provocative things in them is Bellydancing and some Boob jokes. Risqué sure but hardly non-kid friendly.

Heck weren't Skies of Arcadia and Monster Hunter rated "T" and they're being used in Worlds Unite.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius