Sonic in YOUR country

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic in YOUR country

Postby Polish Pete » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:35 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:
OncleSam wrote:Well, case in point, besides Sonic Underground, the rest of the stuff mention was horrible. ^^

And even that's a major divider of opinion xP

(I enjoy Underground AND Boom btw)

And I only enjoy Boom, but I don't think that's the right thread for this topic.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Oh yeah, Britain also gave us such Sonic voices as Tim Curry (King Acorn), Long John Baldry (AoStH Robotnik) and Gary Chalk (Underground Robotnik and Grounder).
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Polish Pete » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:40 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Oh yeah, Britain also gave us such Sonic voices as Tim Curry (King Acorn), Long John Baldry (AoStH Robotnik) and Gary Chalk (Underground Robotnik and Grounder).

Wait, Gary Chalk is British? Interesting.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Polish Pete wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:Oh yeah, Britain also gave us such Sonic voices as Tim Curry (King Acorn), Long John Baldry (AoStH Robotnik) and Gary Chalk (Underground Robotnik and Grounder).

Wait, Gary Chalk is British? Interesting.

He's British-born Canadian. He spent a lot of his life in England. He was even a friend of Baldry.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby The Jazzyman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:21 pm

I myself come from Australia. Nothing really special to mention.
I don't think that Australians created anything sonic. The only thing really worth mentioning is the fact that we had a theme park that got demolished just before the year 2000. Apparently there was a stage play with Sally in it though, which is quite odd.

In terms of popularity, I think it is very similar to America. There are fans and merch here and there. The comics are available at comic shops (no newsagents)
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby TheFatPanda » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:51 pm

The Jazzyman wrote:I myself come from Australia. Nothing really special to mention.
I don't think that Australians created anything sonic. The only thing really worth mentioning is the fact that we had a theme park that got demolished just before the year 2000. Apparently there was a stage play with Sally in it though, which is quite odd.

In terms of popularity, I think it is very similar to America. There are fans and merch here and there. The comics are available at comic shops (no newsagents)

I thought they stopped getting the comics in Australia recently?

Also Australia gave us this...commercial.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby The Jazzyman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 am

TheFatPanda wrote:
The Jazzyman wrote:I myself come from Australia. Nothing really special to mention.

I saw the forum post about the topic on the comics, I guess my local comic shop may be asking for them specifically.

(hearty laughter) never seen that ad before! Not something to be too proud of mind you
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby Scruffy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:36 am

The Jazzyman wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:

I saw the forum post about the topic on the comics, I guess my local comic shop may be asking for them specifically.

(hearty laughter) never seen that ad before! Not something to be too proud of mind you

Lucky - I had to make the switch to digital because none of my stores supply them any more.

I actually went to SEGAworld in Sydney in the nineties - it was fun. All the rides involved some element of video games. For instance, they didn't have dodgem cars, they had dodgem TANKS that you drove around a ball pit and sucked the balls up to shoot at other riders. And they had a ghost hunt rollercoaster where you shot ray guns at ghosts that popped out. Cool stuff. Yeah, they did have a Sonic stage show with Sally though. It was confusing, because it was AoStH-based: they were using that version of Robotnik, and Sonic dressed up as a pharmacist to trick him into drinking a sleeping potion or some such. But Sally was there too. I think I have a photo or two squirreled away somewhere. I'll try to find them to show you guys.

The only other thing I remember was the disappointing lack of Knuckles merch they had there. I had really hoped to find a Knuckles plushy, but didn't get my hands on one until years later...
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:10 pm

USA. USA. USA.

In my state, Sonic's moderately popular. I say moderately because practically everyone is aware of his existence but that's about as far as it goes. In regards to fandoms, its hard to find someone who isn't a mainstream comics bigot, an anime nut, or a total geek for practically every other video game series in existence. At my age, I'd be darned to heck before I meet someone willing to admit to being invested in Sonic instead of those SA2 loyalists or nostalgia dweebs. Or worst of all, those people who claim they know a lot about Sonic but utter nonsense like "Sonic is Shadow's brother. I read it on the Internet's."
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby qmaster254 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:15 pm

While growing up in the USA, in the late 90's and early 00's, I never saw any hint of Sonic comic books. I did not see them in supermarkets, hobby stores, or anyplace. It was when I played the Mega collection that I learned about them. The various tv shows always seemed to be popular and I would occasionally find VHS cassettes of AOSTH and SATAM.

I once heard a long time ago that "Robotnik" is an actual family name in Poland. Is this true or just a vicious rumor?
qmaster254
BumbleFan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:16 pm

I wanted to mention this somewhere but it wasnt really worth its own thread and I wasn't sure the most appropriate place for it, but I suppose it's relevant to this thread

on Saturday I was at a local comic collection sale thing and they had the convention cover of the first issue of World's Collide signed by Ian. so uh, I guess that's the state of Sonic in USA: you can find a signed comic from a convention that happened on the other side of the country in a random shop
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:31 am

qmaster254 wrote:I once heard a long time ago that "Robotnik" is an actual family name in Poland. Is this true or just a vicious rumor?

Robotnik is a word in Poland. It means "worker, a guy who works on constructions". So it kinda fits, but it also suggest that Robotnik looks like this.
Ironically, as a kid I didn't knew what "Eggman" means, so I much preferred to call him that.
Last edited by MetalSkulkBane on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
qmaster254 wrote:I once heard a long time ago that "Robotnik" is an actual family name in Poland. Is this true or just a vicious rumor?

Robotnik is a word in Poland. It means "worker, a guy who works on constructions". So it kinda fits, but it also suggest that Robotnik looks like this.
Ironically, as a kid I didn't knew what "Eggman" mean, so I much preferred to call him that.

Eggman is a surname too.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Tedmeister » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:27 pm

Sonic in Canada is really the same as Sonic in the US. I think both Ian and Lea can attest to this. :D

As for my home province, well... We have a fair bit of Sonic merchandise in our only Toys R Us, and my city's two comic stores can't hold any new issues for more than a day or two. They sell out that fast. If there's a Sonic fan club in the city, though, I'm not aware of it.

(By the way, I'll give props to anyone who can correctly guess what province I'm from, based only on what I've written.)
Tedmeister
BumbleFan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:27 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Also Australia gave us this...commercial.

What are exploding shock rocks and why would I want to put them in my mouth?
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius