Sega CEO Hajime Satomi Feels He Betrayed Us

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sega CEO Hajime Satomi Feels He Betrayed Us

Postby Spinehog » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:29 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:There's a simple way to make the gameplay really good in Sonic Games. Slow It Down A Tad.

I'm not saying like "Make Sonic slow" that'd be stupid but make him run slower than Unleashed-Generations. I have a hard time controlling Sonic in most of the game like I'm always running into crap.

It's possible to have a character be fast but crashing into everything.

I disagree pretty strongly to that.

I hated how much Colors slowed Sonic down, and Generations was admittedly acceptable.
Unleashed's speed was incredibly fun.

I'm not saying all Sonic games should be that fast, but the "boost to win" games should IMO.

I do get that there are gamers that can't keep up tho'. If Sonic Team could figure out a way to integrate momentum based speed build up instead of just a "go max speed" button, that could work to curb the issue- not to mention make getting to top speeds more rewarding.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Azul » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:01 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Honestly? I don't feel anything to about this line?
"We realized that our last games sucked again."
Well, good for you, everyone knew about it for months now. Maybe if they DIDN'T work on Fire and Ice, I would be slightly more optimistic.

That's Sega of America's function. Blame them.

I'm skeptical about this. I'm glad they're at least acknowledging the mistakes they've made over the last few years. But SEGA's made the same mistakes regarding rushed development and making that holiday season release. Not to be a glass half empty kind of guy but I'll only take this apology seriously when I start seeing improvements. All I can do is hope that they will deliver and don't disappoint.
Last edited by Azul on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Spinehog wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:There's a simple way to make the gameplay really good in Sonic Games. Slow It Down A Tad.

I'm not saying like "Make Sonic slow" that'd be stupid but make him run slower than Unleashed-Generations. I have a hard time controlling Sonic in most of the game like I'm always running into crap.

I hated how much Colors slowed Sonic down, and Generations was admittedly acceptable.

I'm not saying all Sonic games should be that fast, but the "boost to win" games should IMO.

I do get that there are gamers that can't keep up tho'. If Sonic Team could figure out a way to integrate momentum based speed build up instead of just a "go max speed" button, that could work to curb the issue- not to mention make getting to top speeds more rewarding.

yeah, I love the boost games, they're basically exactly the kind of Sonic games I want to play and I'm disappointed we only have 2 of them

Azul wrote:I'm skeptical about this. I'm glad their at least acknowledging the mistakes they've made over the last few years. But SEGA's made the same mistakes regarding rushed development and making that holiday season release. Not to be a glass half empty kind of guy but I'll only take this apology seriously when I start seeing improvements. All I can do is hope that they will deliver and don't disappoint.

yeah they've been doing rushed releases since Adventure 1, and, well, people actually -liked- the Adventure games. heck, Sonic 3 & Knuckles being 2 separate releases might indicate the rushed releases have been around even longer than that (although I think that situation might be different, might have more to do with budget and/or cartridge limitations needing to be stretched over 2 games. not really sure)
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:06 pm

AllHailShadow wrote:
Spinehog wrote:

I'm not unacceptable.ike "Make Sonic slow" that'd be stupid but make him run slower than Unleashed-Generations. I have a hard time controlling Sonic in most of the game like I'm always running into crap.

yeah, I love the boost games, they're basically exactly the kind of Sonic games I want to play and I'm disappointed we only have 2 of them

Azul wrote:I'm skeptical about this. I'm glad their at least acknowledging the mistakes they've made over the last few years. But SEGA's made the same mistakes regarding rushed development and making that holiday season release. Not to be a glass half empty kind of guy but I'll only take this apology seriously when I start seeing improvements. All I can do is hope that they will deliver and don't disappoint.

yeah they've been doing rushed releases since Adventure 1, and, well, people actually -liked- the Adventure games. heck, Sonic 3 & Knuckles being 2 separate releases might indicate the rushed releases have been around even longer than that (although I think that situation might be different, might have more to do with budget and/or cartridge limitations needing to be stretched over 2 games. not really sure)

I did not know that. But its only been an issue since 06. The glitch fest got a slide in the 90s since gaming was in its beta days but releasing travesties is just unacceptable.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:05 pm

You know the problem is Sega could release a fantastic game and people would still hate it.

Sega keep trying. They really do but it doesn't matter. The game could have only a few minor flaws and people will still say "Sonic is dead".
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mikail » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:22 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:You know the problem is Sega could release a fantastic game and people would still hate it.

Sega keep trying. They really do but it doesn't matter. The game could have only a few minor flaws and people will still say "Sonic is dead".

And by people, we mean disgruntled 90's kids and ign.

On an optimistic note, I do hope this means SEGA won't be afraid to extend a game deadline if need be.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:06 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:You know the problem is Sega could release a fantastic game and people would still hate it.

That is true, even Colors and Generations were thrashed by some critics.

But Rise of Lyrics was horrible and Crystal Shards were passable at best, and now they pushing third Boom game. Also Pontac still writes stories (as far I know), so Sega didn't do anything to please me lately.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby MykonosFan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:22 am

It hasn't been mentioned here so it's worth updating; the original translation had a pretty big error. The statement came from Haruki Satomi, who is Hajime's grandson. He became CEO of the SEGA Games division in April. Which gives a little more weight to his words.

He also responded to the general response people had to his quote, it basically boiled down to fan response showing this is a necessary step to building SEGA back up as a brand that can be loved and trusted.

Hopefully this will be fruitful.
MykonosFan
BumbleNewbie

Postby FritzyBeat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:55 pm

As far as the boost games go, I don't mind 'em.

But for me, I'm just a typical sonic fan who wants to see a return to the gameplay style of Adventures 1 & 2 :P I really felt they nailed Sonic's 3D gameplay in those, and I'd love to see what a Sonic game could look like if they tackled that with today's technology. So that is what I'll be quietly hoping for over here in the corner XP
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:02 pm

FritzyBeat wrote:As far as the boost games go, I don't mind 'em.

But for me, I'm just a typical sonic fan who wants to see a return to the gameplay style of Adventures 1 & 2 :P I really felt they nailed Sonic's 3D gameplay in those, and I'd love to see what a Sonic game could look like if they tackled that with today's technology. So that is what I'll be quietly hoping for over here in the corner XP

That was my point with the whole "Slow Sonic down" thing. I'm not a Nostalgia junky for those games (I find the second one has aged pretty badly actually) but the Sonic Gameplay was a great template to build from.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius