Aaron Weber confirms Izuka's "Two Worlds"

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Aaron Weber confirms Izuka's "Two Worlds"

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:05 am

diamonddeath wrote:I don't understand what this means. Does Sonic just run through both worlds for fun? Which world does each game take place in? This just opened an unnecessary can of worms. The game series makes way more sense taking place on the same world in each game.

At least it explains why suddenly Eggman calls "Earth" "Sonic's World" because there are actually two worlds. Earth and Sonic's World. It seems Eggman is from Earth

but then, does that mean that Professor Gerald and the Echidnas are also from Earth? Isn't Sonic? Wasn't he born on Christmas Island? Is this kinda like if Mario games took place both in Brooklyn and the Mushroom Kingdom?

It'd be nice if someone sat down with a higher up at SEGA and explain just why none of it makes sense just to see how they'd react.

Man, what is it with Video game creators, especially Japanese ones, establishing one thing in their games, then saying something completely contradictory to it in interviews and stuff? Is it a translation thing? I'm remember how Inafune said that killing people wasn't in Zero's character, yet Zero quite blatantly wiped out all of Gamma's Unit in Mega Man X4
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:39 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:I'm remember how Inafune said that killing people wasn't in Zero's character, yet Zero quite blatantly wiped out all of Gamma's Unit in Mega Man X4

Don't forget Omega Zero, who wiped out 90% of Reploids and 50% of humanity!
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:In this world (his world)...

And that world (also his world)...

Possibly another world (one more world)...

And another world over there (chalk up one more)...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I've always liked the idea of worlds that works like a Mobius Strip, Walk though a brake in space, go around the planet, go though a brake in space and go around the other planet. Or even many worlds patched together like this similar to Stephen King's Dark Tower.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Polish Pete » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:15 am

:roll: Oh my God. (lays his head on the desk)

Why must you make everything needlessly complicated, Iizuka?
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Godzillabrawler » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Sometimes Sega, I just shake my head at your decisions. Seriously.

The entire current comic continuity is tangible proof that you can have all of Sonic's stuff in one planet and have it make sense. If you let Ian call the world in the comic Earth (or heck, I'd settle for calling it Mobius once more even though there are supposedly issues with that), it would literally be the ideal depiction of Sonic's planet. Separating it into two separate worlds is just utterly pointless.

The fact that Sega would be willing to make things MORE unnecessarily convoluted just baffles me.
Godzillabrawler
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
diamonddeath wrote:I don't understand what this means. Does Sonic just run through both worlds for fun? Which world does each game take place in? This just opened an unnecessary can of worms. The game series makes way more sense taking place on the same world in each game.

At least it explains why suddenly Eggman calls "Earth" "Sonic's World" because there are actually two worlds. Earth and Sonic's World. It seems Eggman is from Earth

Eggman calling the planet "Earth" is just creative license by the translators, he doesn't actually say that in the Japanese script
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote: Is this kinda like if Mario games took place both in Brooklyn and the Mushroom Kingdom?

No, because Mario doesn't shift between hyper realistic settings and weird fantasy worlds.

And Mario games HAVE taken place in the real world. Donkey Kong and Mario is Missing, for starters.

It'd be nice if someone sat down with a higher up at SEGA and explain just why none of it makes sense just to see how they'd react

An entire board room wondering why they should care.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:16 pm

So... okay, so this means that on Human!Earth, Prof. Gerald and Black Doom created a Mobian!Earth-styled Shadow to use the Chaos Emeralds of Mobian!Earth so that Black Doom could one day conquer Human!Earth?

Do the Chaos Emeralds jump between worlds? How do Sonic & Co. jump between worlds? Are we to assume the more realistic humans of SA1/SA2/Sonic06/Shadow are of Human!Earth and the more cartoony ones are from Mobian!Earth? Or do we ignore the stylistic shift?

Do we mark Human!Earth games by the ones that feature humans? That gives us Heroes/Colors as Mobian!Earth, maybe the Riders series (which some argue is its own spin-off of sorts). But what about Sonic Rush? There are G.U.N. bots in Huge Crisis Zone. Does that mean that level is on Human!Earth? Or G.U.N. came to Mobian!Earth? And does this mean Generations has The Sonics jumping across time and space?

...y'know what? The comic is its own divergent continuity anyway. One planet. Thank you and good night.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby TurboTailz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:The comic is its own divergent continuity anyway. One planet. Thank you and good night.

That's pretty much how I summed it up and you beaten me to saying it.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Gonzo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 pm

I would really like to see the thought process behind all this.

"How do we reconcile all the odd art shifts that the Sonic games have gone through? We could just chalk it up to some parts of the world being more mundane than others...or maybe we could introduce this plot element that has literally never been alluded to before (outside of Sonic X, which is its own continuity) that raises ten questions for every one it answers."

Was Mr. Iizuka speaking metaphorically here (that humans and Mobians live on the same planet but keep to themselves)? I know that canons can be malleable, but there's an upper limit.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Now I wonder if there are human versions of the Mobians and Mobian versions of the humans.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:28 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:Now I wonder if there are human versions of the Mobians and Mobian versions of the humans.

well of course, what else would Sonic Man from Sonic 06 be
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby dantemustdie00 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:13 pm

What....the......heck!?

Why...oh WHY, can't they freaking decide what to do in Sonic, this is just freaking ridiculous now. So what, Mobius/Sonic's World in Sonic X suddenly exist again or is Izuka just trying to screw with our minds again like the whole Blaze and Sonic Rush or Sonic 06 situation again which they finally cleared up?
dantemustdie00
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:I'm remember how Inafune said that killing people wasn't in Zero's character, yet Zero quite blatantly wiped out all of Gamma's Unit in Mega Man X4

Don't forget Omega Zero, who wiped out 90% of Reploids and 50% of humanity!

That's just Omega, and he was using Zero's body -- Zero's character had nothing to do with it.

Mordum wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote: Is this kinda like if Mario games took place both in Brooklyn and the Mushroom Kingdom?

No, because Mario doesn't shift between hyper realistic settings and weird fantasy worlds.

And Mario games HAVE taken place in the real world. Donkey Kong and Mario is Missing, for starters.

I don't think Mario is Missing necessarily counts, given it wasn't developed or published by Nintendo (save for the later NES port).

Donkey Kong seems to be in Mario's world, since Big Ape City is reached by zeppelin from DK Island.

Anyway, I could buy the two worlds theory a little easier if we didn't have stuff like rings floating in Station Square and springs in Soleanna.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:So... okay, so this means that on Human!Earth, Prof. Gerald and Black Doom created a Mobian!Earth-styled Shadow to use the Chaos Emeralds of Mobian!Earth so that Black Doom could one day conquer Human!Earth?

Do the Chaos Emeralds jump between worlds? How do Sonic & Co. jump between worlds? Are we to assume the more realistic humans of SA1/SA2/Sonic06/Shadow are of Human!Earth and the more cartoony ones are from Mobian!Earth? Or do we ignore the stylistic shift?

Do we mark Human!Earth games by the ones that feature humans? That gives us Heroes/Colors as Mobian!Earth, maybe the Riders series (which some argue is its own spin-off of sorts). But what about Sonic Rush? There are G.U.N. bots in Huge Crisis Zone. Does that mean that level is on Human!Earth? Or G.U.N. came to Mobian!Earth? And does this mean Generations has The Sonics jumping across time and space?

...y'know what? The comic is its own divergent continuity anyway. One planet. Thank you and good night.

Thank you Ian Flynn, for explaining why this Two Worlds thing is nonsense.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius