What Was Your First Issue of Sonic?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: What Was Your First Issue of Sonic?

Postby Sunwalker » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:05 pm

syn017 wrote:Man I wish I could find at least decent copies of those today, just to frame and hand on my wall.

I don't know where to get a print copy, but if you just want to read them, you can get a collected digital version of them through Comixology:
https://www.comixology.com/Sonic-the-He ... omic/22875
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby syn017 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Sunwalker wrote:
syn017 wrote:Man I wish I could find at least decent copies of those today, just to frame and hand on my wall.

I don't know where to get a print copy, but if you just want to read them, you can get a collected digital version of them through Comixology:
https://www.comixology.com/Sonic-the-He ... omic/22875

Thank you, Sunwalker. I do know where to actually pick up printed copies at, http://www.mycomicshop.com. Its just you gotta wait sometimes for copies to be posted or its the price that makes you wait for a cheaper version ^^;
syn017
BumbleNewbie

Postby sonicray » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Funny thing, today happens to be the 10th anniversary of when I started to read and collect Sonic the Hedgehog comic books, I still have the receipt from Shinders, I got a handful of comics, one was the very weird and strange STH #150 with Titan Tails, #149, and #143 and #144, I first heard that STH comics were still going on when I bought the Sonic Mega Collection game for my gamecube, and on the extras I saw all the comics Archie has published.
sonicray
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:50 pm

That "Sonic the Hedgehog: The Beginning" trade with the hilariously adorable kiddie writing and the Acorn crown straight up labeled Acorn.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby The Jazzyman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:23 pm

(hearty laughter) compared to most of the people here I'm likely one of the newest fans! My first issue was 175 the one where
Spoiler: show
Robotnik destroys Knothole

I hadn't watched Satam before, so I saw all these new characters and was really curious. I didn't know of anything sonic related at the time which had an established universe.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:03 pm

I had read the "half issue" version of 0 first - I missed the original version, but I did get the miniseries after that.

I stopped somewhere along the line shortly before Penders started because of postal problems. The next one I read was the Brand New Mobius special and then... I didn't read again until Ian started.

Yeah, rollercoaster here. :P
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:50 am

First issue I bought was 123, the second half of "Heart Held Hostage" with part of Knuckles "Afterlife" story and the backup when everyone was deroboticized. I remember some of my big takeaways included how awesome Jeff Axer's art was in "Heart Held Hostage", wanting to know who everyone like Mina and Jules were (at the time I hadn't been exposed to much Sonic material, Mina and Jules were about equal with Sally and Nack), and that Enjerak's design was awesome.

Afterwards I got The Beginning graphic novel, which I read over and over again, also in love with Scott Shaw's drawings while finding the stories cute (OT, I had found a novelization that basically adapted "Oh-no Robo! No mo' Mobo!" and "Sonic Flashback" around the same time, so it really felt like the definitive origin story at the time). I also got Sonic Firsts through Mega Collection, though I only ever flipped through it, I was much more interested in the cover gallery with all the gorgeous artwork and characters I knew nothing about but looked awesome (I spent hours with those while listening to the History music).

The next issue I got was also when I started collecting; 140 "Return to Angel Island Part 3". After that I would get new issues from my local Walden Books until I started subscribing directly from Archie shortly after "The Darkest Storm".
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby syn017 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:09 pm

To see so many people remember their first Sonic comic and even tell a story along with it, is awesome in my book. :)
syn017
BumbleNewbie

Postby SeaSalt84 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:22 pm

#7 was my first issue; I came across it when my dad and I visited a Books-a-Million that had just recently opened up. I've been a fan ever since, and I still have that issue in readable condition (well, the cover's got some wear and tear, but it's fared better than some of the other earlier stuff I have).
SeaSalt84
BumbleNewbie

Postby Scruffy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:02 am

Good to see I wasn't the first one here to start collecting - it makes me feel a little less of an old fogey. :(hearty laughter):

My first issue was #16 in 1994, when I was on a vacation in the USA and just happened to see it in a newsagent. I'd been a huge fan of SatAM and was thrilled to see characters like Sally, Bunnie, Rotor and even Antoine getting their adventures continued in comic form. I've been collecting ever since, and eventually managed to track down all the back issues I'd missed so that today I have the entire ArchieSonic collection... or at least I did, until Diamond stopped shipping Sonic to Australia. I was extremely frustrated about it, but I've since subscribed to Sonic, Universe and Boom online, so at least I have them in digital form.

All I'm missing is about 25 issues of Sonic X (which I didn't enjoy and gave up after a year), and this year's FCBD issue, which my Canadian girlfriend went to the trouble to get for me... and then spilled coffee all over. Which did nothing to quell my utter hatred for coffee... but she's ordered a replacement copy for me, and at least sent me photos of the pages before she destroyed them.

I think I may have rambled slightly off topic now...
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Penguin God » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 am

Somewhere around the Enerjak Returns arc, maybe a little earlier. I had no idea why people thought the identity of Enerjak could possibly be a mystery. At least that's when I got into them, the first comic I read was one about Eggman sending robots to attack the old irradiated Mobotropolis and Vector destroyed them with young people music. I thought it was kind of dumb and ugly, so I didn't bother to read the rest.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Para » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:01 pm

My first issue had a weird number. It was 1/4 or 1/2 or something, and was part of issue 0 (before the miniseries). They had them for free at the magazine rack in the local Walmart, and I grabbed one and pestered my parents into buying the miniseries for me that same day. I sold a bunch of my super-old issues to an awesome person here on the forum a few years back, and I included that first issue (with the spot where I'd cut out the mail-in order form) as part of the lot. It just didn't seem right to separate them, you know? :D
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Gotta be Sonic Firsts that came with Mega Collection Plus. Before that, I didn't even know there were Sonic comics.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tsurugi » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:49 am

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Gotta be Sonic Firsts that came with Mega Collection Plus. Before that, I didn't even know there were Sonic comics.

Same, and it was really cool seeing the early Pat Spaz covers in that game :)
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby Eskana » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:33 am

My first issue was around 150.... I don't remember the number exactly, but it's kind of funny, because it was one with Anti-Sonic (before he was Scourge) impersonating Sonic. Except that, in that issue, no one knew and he was just acting terribly (hanging out with like 5 different girls and acting like a slob) and all the characters were wondering why. I read it and I thought, "What an idiot, I'm not reading this..." and didn't pick it up again for years.

(hearty laughter), then I decided to give it another try sometime during the Iron Dominion, and I found out my mistake... I guess the Freedom Fighters weren't the only ones taken in!
Eskana
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius