What Was Your First Issue of Sonic?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: What Was Your First Issue of Sonic?

Postby syn017 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:52 pm

:D I'm happy to see alot of people who have first started all those yars ago , still reading the series or picking it back up. I'm glad to see alot of new readers as well.

I stopped after #127 then picked up again at #138, then stopped again at #193 and came back around the Endangered Species arc (a good story in my eyes, I don't know how anyone else felt about it).

I do feel the stories have gotten much better since Ian Flynn and anyone else who's written the comics I last read Sonic with #193. There is still stuff I wish to see happen myself in the series, (Lupe re-introduced, Shade the Echidna, but I think I already know the status on her, though he technically can use her since there are more differences then similarities to Ken Pender's Julie-Su, and even has the OK from Sega, though that man is sue happy...) but its wait and see at this point for alot of stuff but I think its worth it.
syn017
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:25 pm

Lupe will be back in October :D as for Shade, I really want her to appear too but all the Chronicles stuff is off-limits as of now
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby FritzyBeat » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:11 pm

My first issue was #139, Part 2 of the Return To Angel Island saga.

It was also that issue that inspired me to start drawing and writing comics. It still holds a special place in my heart for that X3
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Gonzo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:32 pm

My first issue was #119. Think what you will, but Ron Lim's stylized take on Sonic was unlike anything Sonic-related I had seen up to that point, and it impressed me.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby FritzyBeat » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Gonzo wrote:My first issue was #119. Think what you will, but Ron Lim's stylized take on Sonic was unlike anything Sonic-related I had seen up to that point, and it impressed me.

It's funny, cause most people don't like his style ;P
I admit I was no fan of it for a long time, but I WILL say that later on in the series, (around 150ish I guess?) his style REALLY did get into a neat groove that I thoroughly enjoyed =D

I do know the feeling of an art style catching your attention though, It was Jon Gray's wacky and fun style that really made the comics come alive to me. The way he conveyed emotions (whether sad, happy, silly, angry, or whatnot) just grabbed me and pulled me right into the story X3
As a lot of people can see by my own style, I have taken a lot of influence from him =)
Last edited by FritzyBeat on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Sunwalker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:06 pm

My first issue was #1, in 1995. Back then, the comic was translated into Portuguese and published here in Brazil. At that time I have read the first four issues, but I almost forgot about the comic when I moved from my old home. For those who are curious, here is how some of the covers of the Brazilian Portuguese version looked like:

Spoiler: show

I have rediscovered the comics a couple of years ago, and I have became a regular reader right after Worlds Collide, with issue #247.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby FritzyBeat » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Sunwalker wrote:My first issue was #1, in 1995. Back then, the comic was translated into Portuguese and published here in Brazil. At that time I have read the first four issues, but I almost forgot about the comic when I moved from my old home. For those who are curious, here is how some of the covers of the Brazilian Portuguese version looked like:

I have rediscovered the comics a couple of years ago, and I have became a regular reader right after Worlds Collide, with issue #247.

Wow! Old school! =D

Out of curiosity, do they still translate the Sonic Comics into Brazilian Portuguese? Or did they stop that a while ago?
Or, would it really not matter cause most people would be reading it in English regardless? :P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Sunwalker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:33 pm

FritzyBeat wrote:Wow! Old school! =D

Out of curiosity, do they still translate the Sonic Comics into Brazilian Portuguese? Or did they stop that a while ago?
Or, would it really not matter cause most people would be reading it in English regardless? :P

I don't know for how long the first translation went, but it lasted for a while, I imagine.

More recently (since 2013), there were another translation done by a different publisher (Editora Alto Astral). It is not a rigidly sequential thing, they pick an arc of either STH or SU and publish it in a single trade. Here is some pictures:

Comparing the English and Portuguese versions. Notice that the editor notes were removed, possibly because they refer to a pre-reboot story:

Right now, what I read is the English Version, digitally through Comixology.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby akessel92 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:19 pm

My introduction to the comics was issue 160. It was thanks to the Internet because I lived in my home state of South Dakota where the nearest book store was forty miles away and digests were non-existent at the time. I now currently collect the new continuity issues which I still need to complete the pre-WU and post-WC stuff. Behind 4 books in main series and really behind in universe.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:46 pm

I first found out about the comic through Sonic Firsts on Mega Collection. First Issue I bought new was #140 and First I subbed to after buying a few off EBay was #152.

But the first issue I ever bought in general was a copy of #16 I found at a Thrift Store that is now missing it's back cover and I apparently tried to staple the cover back on.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby 009* » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:12 am

First one I bought was issue 2 back in the day.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:14 am

First one I actually owned? Well, that was a long time after I found out about the comic that's for sure. I think it might have been #138 because it was part of the 2-figure comic pack.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:34 pm

First comic I ever read was issue 181 (Part one of Enerjak Reborn), even though I knew about the comics' existence since 2005 (I got the Mega Collection Plus on PS2, and I remember seeing the covers for issues 120-134 if I'm correct). At the same time though, I got #59,68,69,105,161, and 178. I started to collect them with issue 199.
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:41 pm

As long as I can remember I had issue 0 and the Sonic miniseries of 1-3
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby syn017 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:08 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I first found out about the comic through Sonic Firsts on Mega Collection. First Issue I bought new was #140 and First I subbed to after buying a few off EBay was #152.

But the first issue I ever bought in general was a copy of #16 I found at a Thrift Store that is now missing it's back cover and I apparently tried to staple the cover back on.

Wow, here I thought I was the only person who did that to "try and save their comics". I did the exact same thing with #56 but i also tried to use scotch tape as well... hehe :oops:

Mavrickindigo wrote:As long as I can remember I had issue 0 and the Sonic miniseries of 1-3

Man I wish I could find at least decent copies of those today, just to frame and hand on my wall.
syn017
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius