What Was Your First Issue of Sonic?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

What Was Your First Issue of Sonic?

Postby syn017 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Hey guys, my name is Syn017, or Syn for short. I'm new to the site and I figured I'd introduce myself to everyone (thanks Ian Flynn for confirming my account). Now I don't know if anyone posted a topic like this before or not but I figured it was a good way to introduce myself. Do you still remember the first comic of Sonic the Hedgehog you picked up? If so, what issue was it? Do you still have it? How long have you been reading the series and what keeps you coming back?

I myself still have my first issue, #25 the adaptation of Sonic CD, Yes its story hasn't aged well but it still holds up some to me. I still amaze myself that I've been reading the series since then.

:) Hope to meet and discuss with everyone here.
syn017
BumbleNewbie

Re: What Was Your First Issue of Sonic?

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Welcome to the forum! Great first post.

My first issue was #6 back in 1993. Saw it randomly in a store and, being the Sonic nut I am, had to pick it up. I don't have it anymore, having replaced my old comics with their graphic novel equivalents. It's just as well; the issue was mangled beyond repair when I finally sold it, barely even readable.

What keeps me coming back? I guess, quite simply, my unwavering love of Sonic.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:45 pm

My first issues were the In Your Face special and #61. But I started collecting with #116.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mikail » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 pm

StH #124. It got me interested in the franchise and both introduced me to Shadow and cemented him as my favorite character to this day.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby syn017 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:21 pm

PC the Hedgehog wrote:Welcome to the forum! Great first post.

My first issue was #6 back in 1993. Saw it randomly in a store and, being the Sonic nut I am, had to pick it up. I don't have it anymore, having replaced my old comics with their graphic novel equivalents. It's just as well; the issue was mangled beyond repair when I finally sold it, barely even readable.

What keeps me coming back? I guess, quite simply, my unwavering love of Sonic.

:(hearty laughter): I can relate to that, and I'm probably not the only one too. #25 came out in 1995 (I think) and I was 7 and I loved and read it so much that it fell apart. I was able to locate another copy only a few years ago and put it away in a sleeve with an acid free backing. Also :) thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

lalalei2001 wrote:My first issues were the In Your Face special and #61. But I started collecting with #116.

I missed out on that issue and after hearing people's opinions on it, I'm a little, but not fully, happy I did. I started collecting whit that exact issue. I think I still have it too :D
syn017
BumbleNewbie

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 pm

The copy of Sonic Firsts that came included in Mega Collection was the first issue I read.

First issue I bought was 172.

Became a regular reader with 195.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Vampfox » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:40 am

My first issue was 108. The main story in that issue was about Robo-Robotnik bringing back Robotnik Prime.

Thank goodness there were datefiles for both Robotnik and Robo-Robotnik in that issue or I would have been confused.

The second backup story was about Hope, and the third was something about echidna crap that seemed really cool to me at the time(I was 14), but nowadays my 27 year old self looks back at the story and realizes that it was pretty bad. But the Dawn Best art was pretty good.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:46 am

Read Sonic previously in the mid-late 90s, but the first issue I bought was #120. The character on the cover, Mina. Made me curious enough to buy the book to see what the current state of the Sonic comic was at the time. It was different what with the love triangle mess, but I didn't hate it. Stayed awhile, but left as I felt the stories were getting awful. Tried to give the book another shot, but left again. Came back when I heard that the comic got a new writer and the quality improved.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby N'egga Man » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:33 am

My first issue was #192 (the one with Metal Scourge) that was given out at the 2012 'Summer of Sonic' event. I didn't become a regular reader until around issue #219 (just before 'Genesis' began) and after reading Sonic Universe from issue #1 onwards, I've been reading them both regularly ever since, especially after 'Worlds Collide'.
Last edited by N'egga Man on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:20 am

My first story was Sonic Universe #1. It had everything I wanted: Action, comedy, a little bit of development and my favorite characters: Metal, Shadow and Marine. Still one of my favorite issues. It was about... 3-4 years ago I think.

Since then I decided to take step back and read comics from the start. It had it ups and downs but in the end I sticked with it. And getting to Flynn's part was worth it :P
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Zulon Eredas » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:20 am

squeakyboots13 wrote:The copy of Sonic Firsts that came included in Mega Collection was the first issue I read.

same here, though my first physical issue was the infamous slap of 134.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby MarioandSonic999 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:18 am

My first issue of "Sonic the Hedgehog" was issue 173, where Antoine proposes Bunnie to get married with him. Man, I really still liked Sally with the long hair in that one! (Or, was it issue 171??)
Last edited by MarioandSonic999 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarioandSonic999
BumbleFan

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:12 am

My firsts were 115 and 116 together. I didn't start collecting properly until 127.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:47 am

when I was a kid, I remember ordering a handful of issues, though I dont remember which came first or exactly how many I had. I specifically remember the Tails mini-series with Knuckles' grandpa, the 40 Fathom Freedom Fighters, and the crocodile badnik guy, and I'm pretty sure I got one of the Knuckles' related special issues (probably the Triple Trouble one or the one where he fights Sonic, maybe both, but I cant say for sure). it's weird that I remember the Tails stuff more strongly than the Knuckles stuff since Knuckles was my favorite character

but, I didnt really stick with the series, and I didnt really get back into the comics until last year when they I heard they recently did a reboot. I wasn't interested in picking up 20 years of history, but one year of history? count me in. the first issues I actually picked up the month it came out, as opposed to scrounging through what the shop had in stock for previous months, was Sonic Universe 69. although shortly before that, I had picked up STH 265 and roughly half of the nu-252 at the same time (then had the store backorder the rest of it so I could be all caught up)
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Striker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:14 pm

My first issue was Sonic Universe #1 but I didnt start collecting issues until just before Genesis and during the Scourge Arc.
Striker
BumbleClan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius