More Seldom Seen Species In The Post-Reboot World

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: More Seldom Seen Species In The Post-Reboot World

Postby Penguin God » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:13 am

Mythical Mobians or monsters or animals don't really need to be from some other dimension. If a dragon exists, it's because here there be dragons.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:11 pm

I doubt we'll see more, considering that they don't want Mobius to be fairy tale land, but I wouldn't mind Mobian offshoots of like displacer beasts, hellhounds, or unicorns, in that case. Though I think we'll have to wait and see how they handle the new and improved Dulcy and her place in Chun Nan before we can extrapolate from that how other "mythical"-based Mobians would fit into the world.

I wouldn't mind seeing more giant land mammals, like another elephant or a hippo or giraffe or something. I also wonder, since the old continuity had "ancestors" of mobians like Mammoth Mogul and the like, if other prehistoric animals were present in Mobius' distant past, like Mobian dinosaurs or sabertooth tigers or whatnot.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Since Naugus is a troll we already have mythical mobians. I wouldn't mind a few more. I mean, why not? It makes just as much sense as a red echidna that looks nothing like an echidna flying around and punching things.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Since Naugus is a troll we already have mythical mobians. I wouldn't mind a few more. I mean, why not? It makes just as much sense as a red echidna that looks nothing like an echidna flying around and punching things.

Did they confirm that Nu!Naugus was a troll, and not just 3 Mobians fused together, like the old version? If so, then I should shut up about trying to fit in mythical Mobians into the Sonic universe...
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby ChaosJam » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:19 pm

Xabin wrote:
Astrobot7000 wrote:Since Naugus is a troll we already have mythical mobians. I wouldn't mind a few more. I mean, why not? It makes just as much sense as a red echidna that looks nothing like an echidna flying around and punching things.

Did they confirm that Nu!Naugus was a troll, and not just 3 Mobians fused together, like the old version? If so, then I should shut up about trying to fit in mythical Mobians into the Sonic universe...

Trolls were hinted as an ancient race in SU# 70. Later it was confirmed by Ian on this board that Naugus was in fact from that species. Walter and Wendy Naugus were officially labeled as Trolls in their title cards at the end of StH# 276.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:23 pm

I see. Well, then, blobby no-toed foot in side-mouth, then. Dragons and Trolls, then. Makes me wonder why we haven't seen more mythical Mobian OCs done in the fandom, like the MLP community likes to pump out alicorn OCs...
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Uwaaii » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Xabin wrote:I see. Well, then, blobby no-toed foot in side-mouth, then. Dragons and Trolls, then. Makes me wonder why we haven't seen more mythical Mobian OCs done in the fandom, like the MLP community likes to pump out alicorn OCs...

I'm not in the mlp fandom, but Alicorns are canon and somewhat common species in the mlp universe right? I just checked the wiki, and there's a ton of non-pony species like griffon, dragon, chimera, etc. I think its different from creating a mobian mythical creature in a Sonic universe that only have mobians based on real animals.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:44 pm

Having an Alicorn OC is like having a Hedgehog OC who's Sonic's best friend, familiar relation, or romantic interest.

but Alicorns are canon and somewhat common species in the mlp universe right?

Show-Canon disproves the existence of other alicorns. The four we've seen are the only four there are.

You know what I'd like to see to actually be on topic? Insects.

Like a Mantis, Dragonfly, Firefly, Beatle, ect. Like Marine Life they seemed pretty under represented pre-reboot.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:57 am

Penguin God wrote:Mythical Mobians or monsters or animals don't really need to be from some other dimension. If a dragon exists, it's because here there be dragons.

In the old universe mobians were borne from the partly broken-down cellular residue of many other species, right? Now I don't know if that's canon to the present universe, but something that looks like a dragon could theoretically be formed from the mixing of a number of donor species (for Dulcy: komodo dragon, bat, human). Even the ability to breathe fire could be explained via a venom gland mutation or something.

Uwaaii wrote:
Xabin wrote:I see. Well, then, blobby no-toed foot in side-mouth, then. Dragons and Trolls, then. Makes me wonder why we haven't seen more mythical Mobian OCs done in the fandom, like the MLP community likes to pump out alicorn OCs...

I'm not in the mlp fandom, but Alicorns are canon and somewhat common species in the mlp universe right? I just checked the wiki, and there's a ton of non-pony species like griffon, dragon, chimera, etc. I think its different from creating a mobian mythical creature in a Sonic universe that only have mobians based on real animals.

I think LBD_Nytetrayn (one of the mods) has a dragon Sonicsona (or whatever you call a Sonic persona).

I'm not really a part of the pony fandom in a huge way, but some time ago I created a dolphin-style hippocampus pony (spoilered for size):

Spoiler: show

Cautionary note: I do occasionally post adult/NSFW content to my deviantART account, so be aware of that if you're going to visit.

Unicorns, pegasi* and hippocampus are mythical creatures anyway. Alicorn needn't be considered any more 'special' than those.

*Strictly speaking 'Pegasus' was the name of the mythical flying horse, not a species' name, not that I have another word to offer up in its place.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:20 am

DoNotDelete wrote:I think LBD_Nytetrayn (one of the mods) has a dragon Sonicsona (or whatever you call a Sonic persona).

Nope; never gone there. Mechadrake, a type of Reploid, and a NetNavi derivative of that, sure. I only recall ever having one Sonic fan character (who was a hedgehog, because I couldn't think of anything else creative at the time; this was pre-Shadow and possibly pre-Amy, mind) a long time ago for an RPG of sorts that lasted all of one session.

Mario, Mega Man, Transformers, Street Fighter, Star Wars... made characters for all of those and then some (mostly for RPGs), but nothing of note for Sonic that I can recall.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:25 am

Ah, right. My mistake.

I honestly thought that dragon-like character you shared a while back (when Dulcy's new design was being discussed) was a mobian, not a reploid. Nevermind then.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:03 pm

In current canon, the Mobians don't have a backstory. They just exist, the same way ground will just float sometimes. Sonic's a weird world where things just happen because it's fun.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:45 pm

I forgot, did the Freedom Fighters react to the Mavericks during Worlds Unite by thinking they were Robians? That would be interesting to see. Since Ian's writing both comics, maybe he can take some pointers on how to make Robian/Cyberized Mobian characters from that?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius