More Seldom Seen Species In The Post-Reboot World

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: More Seldom Seen Species In The Post-Reboot World

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:53 am

I'm with Meliden. I've not played Freedom Planet but I'm not a fan of Lilac's design, in fact I'd find it quite upsetting if Dulcy was completely reformatted/remodelled using 'default' mobian anatomy.

I'd much prefer Dulcy came back looking closer to something resembling her old design. It's nice to have a little variety between body types - Dulcy's classic 'pear shape' body wouldn't be out of place amongst Vector's, Big's and Thrash's 'irregular' body types.

She definitely needs a bit of an update design-wise - but probably more from an accessory/clothing standpoint. I dare say a complete body changeover to something like Lilac's would upset a lot of people, myself included.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:05 pm

As for Dulcy, I do agree that she needs something more dragon-like, more reminiscent of her original design.

In all fairness, Freedom Planet started in with the intention of being another Sonic hack/fangame, but it eventually turned into something of its own and became a professional game. In the earliest versions Lilac was still a hedgehog, and when the game became something dissociated from Sonic she was turned into a dragon, while keeping some of her original physical features.

This was her original design, as a hedgehog:
Spoiler: show
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Ah, I had no idea she was originally a hedgehog, that goes some way to explaining her appearance.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Tardigrades! The only multi-cellular creature discovered so far that can survive the vaccuum of space. How cool would that be? Sure they are borderline microscopic, but Sonic plays funny with sizes all the time.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Tardigrades! The only multi-cellular creature discovered so far that can survive the vaccuum of space. How cool would that be? Sure they are borderline microscopic, but Sonic plays funny with sizes all the time.

I just googled that. They look awesome. I'd love seeing more characters designed with those kinds of creatures in Sonic.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 pm

FritzyBeat wrote:I'm still disappointed at the fact that the real world still hasn't come up with it's answer to the Nerb. Someone get in contact with the real world's writers as soon as possible, we need to make this happen. *shot*

I think the closest thing we can come to the nerbs in the games would be the sentient beans from Mean Bean Machine. I really don't know if they'd do that, though; that would be rather weird.

I'm wondering what they'd do with a Mobian clam/oyster. Other creatures like octopi, squids, urchins, etc. I can see being anthropomorphized into a Mobian, but a bivalve? That's gotta be some major overhauling to make it look good.

The brief look we got on Akhlut in the new continuity makes me wonder what he looks like in full.

Since Tails has multiple tails that can label him as a kitsune, I wonder if there's other multi-tailed foxes like him, or if there's other Mobians that can be classified as being based on "mythical" animals; I'd like to see some sort of centaur race, or a mutation in the feline race that turns some panthers into Displacer Beasts (not with the illusion-casting, but with the tentacles on their back and multi-limbs). We already have Dragons and Phoenixes in the world, so why not?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:34 pm

Tails is explicitly not a kitsune, he is a fox with a mutation. He's not classed as mythical, and mutating other non-mythicals would not get mythicals.

But there's no reason why other mythicals can't exist at all I guess. Dulcy may have been SatAM but the Dark Gaia Phoenix was all SEGA, sapient or not (plus Ifrit is basically dragon + dimension hopping and brainwashing abilities. Plus dragons, phoenixes, skeleton dogs and half-fish are animal buddies in SA2).
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:12 pm

Not really an unused species, but I'd like more human/mobian interaction and relationships happening, in the comic. Not like romantic (even though those would be cool, too, if done right; if done wrong, it's Elise/Sonic all over again), but like working professionally or being friends and stuff. I really hope we get more stuff between Chuck/Muttski and Professor Pickle, in the near future, for instance.

I never really got why human/mobian relationships, be they romantic or pragmatic, is such a taboo thing in the comics or with fans; even in the old comics, we had Station Square, Hope Kintobor, the two human girls who lived with the Wolf Pack, etc. It would be interesting to see the differences between their social and living situations, and their interactions with each other.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby jazzflower92 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Xabin wrote:Not really an unused species, but I'd like more human/mobian interaction and relationships happening, in the comic. Not like romantic (even though those would be cool, too, if done right; if done wrong, it's Elise/Sonic all over again), but like working professionally or being friends and stuff. I really hope we get more stuff between Chuck/Muttski and Professor Pickle, in the near future, for instance.

I never really got why human/mobian relationships, be they romantic or pragmatic, is such a taboo thing in the comics or with fans; even in the old comics, we had Station Square, Hope Kintobor, the two human girls who lived with the Wolf Pack, etc. It would be interesting to see the differences between their social and living situations, and their interactions with each other.

Now that the war between the Overlanders and Mobians is non-canon, relationships between humans and anthropomorphic animals probably isn't as taboo in the previous universe.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby FancyFool » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Hoo boy, I'm most likely going to really regret asking this but... Where is it explicitly stated that Tails is truly a mutant fox? I don't recall any official source (and by that I mean SoJ, not any other SEGA branch) stating mutation as a source of Tails' extra appendage.

EDIT- Actually, forget it. I found my answer and this question is highly stupid :oops:
Last edited by FancyFool on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FancyFool
BumbleFan

Postby Xabin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:37 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:Now that the war between the Overlanders and Mobians is non-canon, relationships between humans and anthropomorphic animals probably isn't as taboo in the previous universe.

Maybe. It would be interesting to see how those relationships develop, over the comic's course, in that case.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby FritzyBeat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Xabin wrote:I'm wondering what they'd do with a Mobian clam/oyster. Other creatures like octopi, squids, urchins, etc. I can see being anthropomorphized into a Mobian, but a bivalve? That's gotta be some major overhauling to make it look good.

> implying Bivalve isn't already the pinnacle of sexy. ;P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby ReifuTD » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Xabin wrote:Not really an unused species, but I'd like more human/mobian interaction and relationships happening, in the comic. Not like romantic (even though those would be cool, too, if done right; if done wrong, it's Elise/Sonic all over again), but like working professionally or being friends and stuff. I really hope we get more stuff between Chuck/Muttski and Professor Pickle, in the near future, for instance.

Because of this I always wanted to see a slice of life story for Team Dark that features a scene where Shadow is unable to reach the cereal off the top self because he living in a city full of people twice his size. At some level it has to be humiliating for him to live in a human world.

On the flip side a scene with a full grown human going to a Mobain's home and hits their head on the ceiling because that are too big for the house
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:31 pm

FritzyBeat wrote:
Xabin wrote:I'm wondering what they'd do with a Mobian clam/oyster. Other creatures like octopi, squids, urchins, etc. I can see being anthropomorphized into a Mobian, but a bivalve? That's gotta be some major overhauling to make it look good.

> implying Bivalve isn't already the pinnacle of sexy. ;P

I was thinking of Bivalve when I said that, actually. Only thing I can think of for how they can Mobian-ize him would be either like those really ugly Cloyster anthros some people do on DA, or maybe a non-robot version of Shield Sheldon from X6.

With the mythical Mobians, it would be interesting if they came from another dimension/secret zone within Mobius. Before the reboot, they could've been animals mutated by the Chaos Emeralds into becoming more mystical beasts inspired by the myths of old Earth, but now... dimension-hopping would work best, methinks.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Uwaaii » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:04 pm

The brief look we got on Akhlut in the new continuity makes me wonder what he looks like in full.

Either make a body growing out of the clam/oyster, or put an antisocial mobian inside the shell. Both looks ugly.
That reminds me, I'm not that fond of the squid boss's design much...also Mordred Hood. Even if his leg is due to cyberization, I prefer Lyric's design from Boom just because he looks more like a snake. Same with the squid. Sharks, fishes and orcas are...eeeh okay, but squids? :(

Since Tails has multiple tails that can label him as a kitsune, I wonder if there's other multi-tailed foxes like him, or if there's other Mobians that can be classified as being based on "mythical" animals; I'd like to see some sort of centaur race, or a mutation in the feline race that turns some panthers into Displacer Beasts (not with the illusion-casting, but with the tentacles on their back and multi-limbs). We already have Dragons and Phoenixes in the world, so why not?

For a moment I got confused since kitsune is a normal fox in Japanese. You mean the yokai one. SEGA describe Tails as a normal fox who was born with two tails that caused him to get bullied. His design may be based on a Yōko, but story-wise it's most likely a mutation. The dragons and Phoenixes in the game are mostly giant robot or magical monsters and there weren't any organic/natural ones if my memory is correct, so unless there was some ugly experiments going on or they came from another dimension I don't think its possible.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius