Solicts - STH 278, SU 81 and more!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Solicts - STH 278, SU 81 and more!

Postby jazzflower92 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:54 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Meliden wrote:
Spoiler: show
Oh, so they're basically like a parody of team Sonic in terms of species, I get it now.

the porcupine and fennec I get, but I'm guessing the mole is something like "echidnas are also burrowing animals," which doesn't feel quite as on-the-nose

as to the quill discussion, they are at least notably thinner and more numerous than Sonic's

Maybe it's a mythology gag to the fact that in Sonic the Movie Knuckles is mistakenly labeled as a mole.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:59 pm

Sonar looks the best to me out of the three. Strikes just the right balance. Seems to be easier to make unique females since you have clothing options.

Trevor looks nice ... but should have been a different color. This'll be our fifth big purple guy -- and the fourth that showed since the reboot.

I get that Spike is supposed to be Original the Character but hah. Also loses the cheek fur in the last panel.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:47 am

jazzflower92 wrote:
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
Meliden wrote:
Oh, so they're basically like a parody of team Sonic in terms of species, I get it now.

the porcupine and fennec I get, but I'm guessing the mole is something like "echidnas are also burrowing animals," which doesn't feel quite as on-the-nose

as to the quill discussion, they are at least notably thinner and more numerous than Sonic's

Maybe it's a mythology gag to the fact that in Sonic the Movie Knuckles is mistakenly labeled as a mole.

oh yeah, I forgot about that
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:54 am

Amusing. The porcupine guy looks almost identical to the first Sonic Fan character I drew when I was in my teens.

Interesting bunch - I didn't get why the mole guy was there at first - but yeah, I guess he's meant to be like an analogue of Knuckles? I'm not sure that one works too well.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:26 am

I realized looking at the mole guy that he is a shout out to Kamina and Boota from Gurren Lagann. For one thing thing he is a mole that wears glasses that look like Kamina's.

http://gurrenlagann.wikia.com/wiki/Kamina

http://gurrenlagann.wikia.com/wiki/Boota
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:05 am

Oh, and Sonar's gender might refer to how Tails is/was mistaken for female a lot?

And okay, we've got establishment of the new Freedom Fighter arrangement; there's only one actual group that is recognised as the Freedom Fighters (as opposed to there being a whole network of Freedom Fighter teams), and these guys just use that title because they're huge fans, nice to know.

Mobotropolis wrote:
Trevor looks nice ... but should have been a different color. This'll be our fifth big purple guy -- and the fourth that showed since the reboot.

It's not just the purple, he shares the green accenting and even the colour of his flesh bits with Thrash. But then, he's the one guy who hasn't shown up post-reboot.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:16 am

Meliden wrote:
Oh, and Sonar's gender might refer to how Tails is/was mistaken for female a lot?

Tails was mistaken for a girl a lot? Huh.

Actually, when Sonic 3 first came out a lot of my friends used to think Knuckles was a girl - just because he was pink (I'd actually say he's magenta myself, also I always knew he was a guy).
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby AdamBryceThomas » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:43 am

Mobotropolis wrote:
Sonar looks the best to me out of the three. Strikes just the right balance. Seems to be easier to make unique females since you have clothing options.

I get that Spike is supposed to be Original the Character but hah. Also loses the cheek fur in the last panel.

Hmm, how did that not get caught? Ah, that's embarrassing.
AdamBryceThomas
BumbleNewbie

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:57 am

Thought I read that Knuckles was originally supposed to be a mole... which fits his look more, really.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The KKM » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:02 am

No, he was originally supposed to be a dinosaur. The mole connection is that in japanese, "echidna" is "harimogura", which literally means "needle mole" (in the same way a hedgehog is "needle mouse", and "Mr. Needlemouse" is actually likely a mistranslation where Ohshima just meant Mr. Hedgehog). This is likely the reason for the mole mistranslation on the OVA, and the mole manneirisms.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:05 am

Knuckles was a dinosaur in his very early concepts, not heard him ever being planned to be a mole.

The issue comes from the fact that Echidna in Japanese translates to something like needle mole, like how the word for Hedgehog translates to needle mouse. The difference is that Echidnas are far more obscure, so the profile writers ended up making that mistake when writing up.

Aaaand beaten to it. Hey, a phone isn't an ideal typing medium!
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DabigRG » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Suddenly, that whole last of his kind thing makes a lot more sense.

Here are the preview pages.
Love the article title, by the way!
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:05 pm

I had my friend make this. http://i.imgur.com/SjdebtO.jpg?1 I hope this link thingy works. It is just too hilarious to not be seen in my opinion.
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Preview Pages

Yep. I'm old enough to get that reference.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:15 pm

DabigRG wrote:Suddenly, that whole last of his kind thing makes a lot more sense.

No joke. I never knew that. Nice bit of info.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius