3D Sonic for $3

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

3D Sonic for $3

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:00 am

In the Nintendo eShop for "the Americas," SEGA's first wave of 3D Classics from M2 are on sale, including 3D Sonic the Hedgehog. Price: $2.99

I already grabbed Sonic, as my Wii Virtual Console version refuses to play nice with my Wii U, and Streets of Rage as well. Probably grab Space Harrier before it's done, too. (Already have Shinobi III and my wife has Altered Beast.)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Re: 3D Sonic for $3

Postby Matt7325 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:17 am

Does the conversion to 3D add much to these games or is it purely cosmetic? I own Sonic 1 on about eight different devices by now but I might pick it up if the 3D is worth it.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby BlackHawkOmega » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Matt7325 wrote:Does the conversion to 3D add much to these games or is it purely cosmetic? I own Sonic 1 on about eight different devices by now but I might pick it up if the 3D is worth it.

I'd say so; I got Sonic & Streets of Rage; I think it works pretty well. Plus there is an option to have the Spin Dash.
BlackHawkOmega
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:40 am

The SEGA Blog has an interview with M2 about the conversion.

Image3D Sonic the Hedgehog by SEGA of America, on Flickr

Offhand, I know you can do spin dash, there's a built-in stage select and save states, you can switch the sound between Genesis 1 and 2, International or Japanese versions of the game, and you can choose between 3D that "falls in" to the screen, or "pops out." (I prefer in.)

It does look really nice. Sounds like they put a lot of work into my favorite, the Star Light Zone, as well.

I think it's safe to say that this is unquestionably the best version of Sonic 1 that uses buttons.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:12 am

It's not the Taxman version but it's a decent port in it's own right. Especially for $3 and compared to Nintendo's bare bones Virtual Console service. It's definitely the best portable version of Sonic 1 aside from Taxman's. The only odd thing I've noticed with this port is that the level select menu always enables itself for some reason.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:27 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:It's not the Taxman version but it's a decent port in it's own right. Especially for $3 and compared to Nintendo's bare bones Virtual Console service. It's definitely the best portable version of Sonic 1 aside from Taxman's. The only odd thing I've noticed with this port is that the level select menu always enables itself for some reason.

There's a toggle for that called "special" on the main menu, I believe.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Return to This Side of Mobius