Some guy thinks SEGA needs to be redesign Sonic

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Some guy thinks SEGA needs to be redesign Sonic

Postby Azul » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:56 am

I was browsing tumblr and happened upon an interesting tidbit in regards to Sonic's design, his future, and the direction one man thinks he should take. Granted, he did intelligently present his ideas. In his video, he discusses what he believes would be an appropriate route Sonic should take including changing his design, level design, personality, the way his speed is utilized, and implementing new backpack item feature.

I'll just paste my opinion on the subject from my tumblr:

I wholeheartedly disagree with the redesign. First of all, there’s nothing wrong with the current design and if anything, something that drastic will drive away many long time fans. Second, his redesign basically takes away what it means to be Sonic: He’s always been a cocky, impulsive, somewhat stoic dude with a perpetual and equally cocky smirk, not some nervous, cautious no mouthed weirdo. Not to mention, he is anthropomorphic. He shouldn’t be too animal. Additionally, the Sonic approach to anthropomorphism works in that its very unique, follows an easy formula, and is one of the most iconic things about the series. Taking that away is a bad idea. Also, there’s no need for an artsy background. Traditional Sonic games have always had breath taking backgrounds that push the performance of consoles to the limits.

Next, I don’t think the 3D needs to go. See, there’s nothing wrong with 3D Sonic and whether or not you enjoy it is entirely subjective. But the fact of the matter is that part of the reason why SEGA still made 3D games was do to the success of the first two; Sonic Adventures 1-2, with 2 being one of the most beloved titles in all of gaming history, even by non-Sonic fans. The problem isn’t 3D themselves but how well the last few 3D games have been handled. Its biased to pick on the 3D altogether because some of the last few have been successful including Unleashed, Colors, and Generations.

Next, although lot of the fans are now in their 30s and I do think it would be fantastic if the target demographic was 18-30, I think Sonic works much better as an all ages series. Don’t get me wrong, I could deal without all the kiddy crap they’ve been making lately but mass appeal is a good way to go.

The narrative of Sonic is one of the best parts of its evolution. When I was first introduced to Sonic when I was 4 at my brother’s friend’s birthday party, I fell in love. My brother would always talk about how you speed through levels called zones and collect rings and get to go super if you get all the chaos emeralds and I was stupefied by the unique approach to platforming. A few years later, when I saw Sonic Adventure DX in a GameStop, I was filled with joy and excitement because even though I didn’t have a Gamecube, this would be the first Sonic game I ever owned. When I played it, I didn’t matter that the stages were 3D, it didn’t matter that they had colored eyes, to me it was still Sonic and that’s all I could ever ask for. Although the game had its issues, I saw through, most of it, because I understood it was made in a time where the capacity for 3D games wasn’t so advanced. But I was happy that I got to understand the characters, to hear their thoughts, know their fears, desires, and personality. 2D Sonic is great, don’t get me wrong, but having an established personality really increases the connection between the viewer. Its a stretch to say that the voice acting needs to go and that really sounds like a mater of opinion.

Sonic doesn’t need a redesign man. What you’re vouching for violates and disregards everything that made the series one of the most successful franchises in history. It also turns the series into something that would do more harm that good. If you take away his smirk, take away his attitude, and take away his socks, than what do you really have?

So what are your thoughts and opinions?
Last edited by Azul on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Re: Some guy thinks SEGA needs to be redesign Sonic

Postby GameBuddy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:02 am

Couldn't make it past him pronouncing it "SEEGAH" and then saying they need to 100% appeal to 30-somethings. Yuck.
GameBuddy
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:03 am

Your response saying he'll drive away many long time Sonic fans can be rephrased as uninterested in his project, but other than that meh. I don't like his simplistic character design for Sonic, but I don't mind seeing how far he'll go with this project. I highly doubt I'll play cause it would just be like any other Sonic platformer game with difficult puzzles so he says.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Who boy, we're delving into "How to safe Sonic" again, do we? Ok, first thing: there are tons of ways to "save Sonic" and tons of interpretation what "saved" means. The only thing I'm 100% is that want I want from stories: to be at least Unleased/Black Knight serious (Adventure series would be better), with more characters than just Sonic Tails and Eggman. Keeping story simple would actually ruin Sonic for me (but even now Sonic stories fit me better than say, Mario or Crash Bandicoot).
With that said, removing dialog won't cut. You could transform Sonic into something really smart like those Indie games, but 1 That's not the Sonic I love 2 That requires reeealy smart writing.

Still, I will try to say about other stuff. Just you know, those are my guesses. I soo do not claim to have all the answers.
1 I don't hate that new design, but that isn't Sonic for me (again, it's kinda relates to story). I'm 90% sure that changed like that would be to extreme.
2 Some people say that 3D must go and I answer: maybe. It may go it may stay, both way are acceptable as long as games are good.
3 Azul, he was somewhat right about age demographics. He never said "make Sonic only for 18-30 age group", he said "made it for 18-30 too". Symplistic design of "Rise of Lyric" won't please any adult, but kids can enjoy smart Indie games, right?
4 That leads to the most important point. This guy was definitely right about one thing: Sonic could use some innovation.
Now, I'm not bashing Unleashed, Generations or Adventure series, those are one of the best Sonic games. But they aren't revolutionary and they won't be talk about as much as original trilogy.
When I think about perfect Sonic game I think tones of playable characters (each working), great level design, compelling story, etc. But game like that can be our "Zelda: Link Between Worlds", not "Link to the Past". One takes every good idea and gives it on steroids and the other makes new good idea. Other example: Sonic 3&K was better than Sonic 2, but 2 is more loved. Why? Because 2 made new thins (Super Sonic, Spin Dash), while 3&K just went steroid (more levels, more characters, Super super Sonic! Tails and Knuckles too!)
It's just important to make smart innovations, not just slap them on game to make it different. Don't get me wrong, I admire Sega Sonic for trying constantly something new, but Nintento Mario proves that sometimes playing save is good idea.
Last edited by MetalSkulkBane on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:3 Azul, he was somewhat right about age demographics. He never said "make Sonic only for 18-30 age group", he said "made it for 18-30 too". Symplistic design of "Rise of Lyric" won't please any adult, but kids can enjoy smart Indie games, right.

Oh. Well then. Imma just go head and revise my statement accordingly.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Gonzo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 pm

I don't want to just write this guy off as an insufferable Classic purist because I only checked the vid to see what his proposed Sonic redesign looked like (it's cute, but I dunno if I'd want to change up Sonic that drastically without making it a whole new sub-series). But, it really feels like there's Classic purism involved.

And while Classic Sonic didn't say much, after Adventure, I'm not sure how much Sonic works as a silent protagonist. Wouldn't be opposed to him using a backpack in more RPG-esque spin-offs, though.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:59 pm

It's not even Classic purist, a lot of the changes are things that would be violate for those too. No curling up in jumps, no attitude, no kids allowed, a backpack to buy a core game mechanic. It's just another indie puzzle platformer, it's got nothing to do with Sonic. If he made that game without attaching the hedgehog brand, it wouldn't even be compared to the blue blur.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 pm

I think I've broken his data conclusions enough elsewhere to recognise this as...well, faulty logistics on his part.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I don't agree with all of his logic leaps and some of that logic comes off way too manbaby, but he's right about the grand majority of these things.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:46 pm

He's right that Mario sells better and gets better reviews than Sonic, and he certainly has pretty graphs showing it. Outside of that, I don't give him much credit.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Well, he says that kids aren't as interested in Sonic any more as we're in the era of them preferring shooters and sports and stuff...which ignores the success of Unleashed (and Colours and Generations, although the latter definitely banks on adult nostalgia too), which I think has even been backed up by statements made from Ian on an occasion or two (didn't he say kids really liked the Werehog?).

He says that there's been a huge disconnect between Sonic and the audience, when it only really occurred in the period the games were considered badly made (thus suggesting the reason there was a disconnect was because they were just bad games, not so much from Sonic not pulling them in).

He neglects to mention the decline of sales for Mario that follows a similar gradient to Sonic in the Wii U era despite getting good reviews, which suggests that the platform is part of the issue.

And he calls Sonic 3 and Knuckles the most successful Sonic game when from a sales perspective it could be argued that it's one of the least successful (I'll happily elaborate on why if people want to see that).

And none of this would be rectified by the proposal, which seems very generic platformer indie stuff. Sure some elements could be interesting, but not the whole.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Tonberry2k » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Thirty seconds into the video and he calls Sonic an "enigmatic game franchise."

Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:27 am

Tonberry2k wrote:Thirty seconds into the video and he calls Sonic an "enigmatic game franchise."

en·ig·mat·ic
ˌenəɡˈmadik/
adjective
adjective: enigmatic; adjective: enigmatical

difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.

Given the difficulty SEGA seems to face in replicating the originals and just their overall approach to things ("Hey, Generations was great! Let's throw all of that out and start over with a whole new engine!"), I don't think it's entirely inaccurate.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby akessel92 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Tonberry2k wrote:Thirty seconds into the video and he calls Sonic an "enigmatic game franchise."

en·ig·mat·ic
ˌenəɡˈmadik/
adjective
adjective: enigmatic; adjective: enigmatical

difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.

Given the difficulty SEGA seems to face in replicating the originals and just their overall approach to things ("Hey, Generations was great! Let's throw all of that out and start over with a whole new engine!"), I don't think it's entirely inaccurate.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I think enigmatic is the best definition for sega rather than sonic.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:44 pm

But Sonic is an enigma. I mean, does he has only few giant spikes or thousand small ones glued into big ones? Where does he keep Chaos Emerald? How can he have only one eye? :P
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius