Some guy thinks SEGA needs to be redesign Sonic

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Some guy thinks SEGA needs to be redesign Sonic

Postby Sunwalker » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Meliden wrote:And he calls Sonic 3 and Knuckles the most successful Sonic game when from a sales perspective it could be argued that it's one of the least successful (I'll happily elaborate on why if people want to see that).

From what I can gather, I see that Sonic 1 sold 16 million copies and Sonic 2 sold 6 million copies, while Sonic 3 sold 1.02 million and Sonic & Knuckles sold 1.24 million.

I see where you are coming from, and I agree with you. But I think that one of the reasons for the huge difference between Sonic 3&K and the previous two titles is that they were bundled with the console, so I am be curious to know how many standalone copies of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 were sold. Does someone know?
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Penguin God » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:37 pm

It'd be a complicated messy affair seeing as the Sonic 2 bundle was one of the biggest reasons the Genesis did so well. They bundled with other games too, but those other games didn't sell 6 million.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Village » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

His ideas are bad, gameplay wise, story wise and design wise.

And seems to be someone who is actively denying younger members of the fanbase.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Village wrote:And seems to be someone who is actively denying younger members of the fanbase.

Apparently he only said "this should appeal to the 18-30 crowd AS WELL AS younger kids", but the impression I get is that it's a tad...insincere, maybe? I dunno; does the puzzle-platforming direction he advises Sonic to go in sound like it'd appeal to younger kids/be within their skill range?
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Village wrote:And seems to be someone who is actively denying younger members of the fanbase.

Apparently he only said "this should appeal to the 18-30 crowd AS WELL AS younger kids", but the impression I get is that it's a tad...insincere, maybe? I dunno; does the puzzle-platforming direction he advises Sonic to go in sound like it'd appeal to younger kids/be within their skill range?

He has a pretty charming, diggable indie sensibility that happens to be coupled with him being a giant manbaby, which is unfortunate.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 pm

akessel92 wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Tonberry2k wrote:Thirty seconds into the video and he calls Sonic an "enigmatic game franchise."

en·ig·mat·ic
ˌenəɡˈmadik/
adjective
adjective: enigmatic; adjective: enigmatical

difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.

Given the difficulty SEGA seems to face in replicating the originals and just their overall approach to things ("Hey, Generations was great! Let's throw all of that out and start over with a whole new engine!"), I don't think it's entirely inaccurate.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I think enigmatic is the best definition for sega rather than sonic.

Well, Sonic is their mascot, right down to his SEGA blue hue.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Village » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Mordum wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

He has a pretty charming, diggable indie sensibility that happens to be coupled with him being a giant manbaby, which is unfortunate.

Why are you calling this person a manbaby? What information do you have to insult him in such a way

Gonzo wrote:

This is also Coupled with a lot of other stuff said in the video where it feels like he ways too in love with classic sonic to the degree in which he disregards any notion in his design that maybe other people grew up with other versions of sonic.

Like the whole sonic shouldn't talk thing, it seems to harken back to a time a lot of people generally aren't that interested in as concept.

Its not just his gameplay idea, which just seems awful outside of potential demographics, its the theme the design. The everything, its disregarding a lot of other people who like sonic.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tonberry2k » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:41 pm

I don't think his ideas are that horrible. I do hate the redesign, though.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:51 pm

I feel like there's an inherent contradiction in his proposal. he pulls up a chart saying platformers are the least popular games right now, calls sonic boom disappointing for being a platformer with puzzle elements, and then he suggests... making a new platformer, with puzzle elements. uh, ok buddy.
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius