Solicits for Sonic #277 and Sonic Universe #80 (and more)

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Solicits for Sonic #277 and Sonic Universe #80 (and more

Postby Meliden » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 pm

The lack of toes was presumably a conscientious decision since they've been present since SA1, where it was in 2D art and on the 3D models. If they wanted them to have toes, they could have very easily drawn on little lines as dividing the digits.

I just find that Archie artists tend to draw the toes more like...um, shoe toes. Very rigid and looking more shoe than foot.

Compare the image of Lupe on the cover;

To the SC art of Tikal;

Tikal's feet actually look like they're separate from the sole. Lupe's don't. They look like Espio's shoes, and we know they are actually shoes because of the texture on his 3D render.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:54 pm

I also find the toeless feet a bit weird, I would rather prefer a three toed paw, like with the pre-SGW design of Bunnie or Nicole.

Or maybe a different kind of feet, depending on which species the character is based. Interestingly enough, the new designs of Bunnie and Nicole always feature them with shoes, so we does know how many toes they have :P.

But since Archie is mimicking SEGA's style, I do not see the feet design changing. Anyways, it is not something that offends me, it is just that I find it weird.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Meliden » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Erm, Bunnie has no toes. Her shoes are literally just part of her prosthetics. :S
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Sunwalker wrote:I also find the toeless feet a bit weird, I would rather prefer a three toed paw, like with the pre-SGW design of Bunnie or Nicole.

Or maybe a different kind of feet, depending on which species the character is based. Interestingly enough, the new designs of Bunnie and Nicole always feature them with shoes, so we does know how many toes they have :P.

But since Archie is mimicking SEGA's style, I do not see the feet design changing. Anyways, it is not something that offends me, it is just that I find it weird.

I will admit while I have no problems with "Blob Feet" I did think the design of Bunnies toes was a good compromise. ...Only in this fandom can we debate how cartoon Animal Feet are drawn. :(hearty laughter):
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby jtreese » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Now that we have Lupe, can we please get Ari in the book?! Please?! :(hearty laughter):
jtreese
BumbleFan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:38 pm

jtreese wrote:Now that we have Lupe, can we please get Ari in the book?! Please?! :(hearty laughter):

Ian's not a big fan of Ari-or Griff, for that matter. Still, I never thought I'd see the day when Von Schlemmer and Madonna would show up in this book, so anything's possible.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Chameleon Guy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I was surprised the preview for SU #80 wasn't out by now, so I'm glad I looked up 'cause I found it:

http://www.newsarama.com/25958-preview-sonic-universe-80.html

Spoiler: show
Well, that scene was bittersweet. Von Schlemmer says the Bits can evolve, they sound like the Chao of the future, I wonder if one of them could evolve into a robot similar to... you know who.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:24 pm

"Young One"? Yeah, sounds like the mysterious figure isn't going to be another teenager. The concept art was a huge tip-off to that, but still.

Also kinda glad you bumped this topic again specifically instead of making a new one for the preview, because now I've worked out why Lupe's feet seem to be so weird to me; her toes aren't just somewhat like Espio's shoes, her footwear has been modelled near exactly on his as opposed to using Tikal as a reference as well. So we have her leg area that's banded in wrap go wider than the rest of the leg (because Espio would have bandages there, justifying the extra width) and the foot is exactly like his shoe recoloured, bar making it more rounded at the top and missing a tiny bit of detail at the heel (despite the fact the purple foot is covered with a hard material and is not his bare foot, It shines and is shaped in a way a natural foot cannot go).

Spoiler: show
This is just yet another image ref.

Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm digging this version of Von Schlemmer. Keeps his eccentricity while making him work in the new context -- I don't think simply transplanting the original wholesale would have worked at all.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Penguin God » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm not totally sure about making his comic personality tragic, but overall I am loving him.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:22 pm

... The Bits are actually speaking words with the Binary.

My heart can't take this.

Erm, Bunnie has no toes. Her shoes are literally just part of her prosthetics. :S

Pre-SGW Bunnie had toes after getting deroboticized during the Nagus Arch.

It looked really good on her. Not sure if it'd work for all characters, though.

I kind of imagined that even the SegaSonic Characters had toes but we can't see the defining lines. It's kind of like how if you stand too far away from a cat or some dogs you can't see the lines in their paws.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Meliden wrote:"Young One"? Yeah, sounds like the mysterious figure isn't going to be another teenager. The concept art was a huge tip-off to that, but still.

Also kinda glad you bumped this topic again specifically instead of making a new one for the preview, because now I've worked out why Lupe's feet seem to be so weird to me; her toes aren't just somewhat like Espio's shoes, her footwear has been modelled near exactly on his as opposed to using Tikal as a reference as well. So we have her leg area that's banded in wrap go wider than the rest of the leg (because Espio would have bandages there, justifying the extra width) and the foot is exactly like his shoe recoloured, bar making it more rounded at the top and missing a tiny bit of detail at the heel (despite the fact the purple foot is covered with a hard material and is not his bare foot, It shines and is shaped in a way a natural foot cannot go).

No offense, but this kind of thing tends to be less of a conscious design decision and more of a matter of who the artist was/what they felt like doing at the time -- it doesn't really mean anything. It's like how Spaz would sometimes draw Julie-Su with noodle legs and other times with realistic human legs. It's not a matter of copying one character ref versus another. No one was going, "Just copy Espio, those are clearly bare feet."
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Up until now I haven't been a fan of how they've SEGA'd up the SatAM characters, but that Lupe design is fantastic. I actually like it a lot more than how she looked before.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:44 pm

I never thought it was something ordered by anyone, it just seems to be what ended up happening (sub-consciously, or just what they thought was the closest parallel to Lupe's old design). I don't even mind using other characters as refs wholesale for bits (or at least how it's done here, where it's a base for a different design), it's just that a couple of details ended up making it look a bit off because of the different application (and only one of them really hit me in the face, that being the toe shape, which is why Tikal gets thrown in).
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DoNotDelete » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:46 am

Penguin God wrote:I'm not totally sure about making his comic personality tragic, but overall I am loving him.

I admit I wasn't expecting so see him swing into a depressed state of mind in the preview like that, but it makes him more 'real' as a character - having to deal with being knocked back I mean.

Still liking this story - and the characters.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius