Change of tone in sonic comics?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Change of tone in sonic comics?

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood was pretty dark. Bioware did a good job with the overall story though, like how you kinda had Mass Effect's Paragon/Renegade system in the form of Sincere/Snarky playthroughs.
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby Village » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:27 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Village wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:But ignoring that, does Boom needs lore, in any form? Cartoon doesn't.

I think it does, I think it being purely a comedy show is bad. Boom can be something hey could sell for a good long time, however if the show is the focus, and nothing happens, when the show stops... they can't sell anything else. Like many a smart business venture for children, the show isn't the point. The show is for advertising all your other stuff. But when the games aren't good, and the show isn't representing... anything else in this franchise. When the show goes off air... you can't do much of anything else. I think these things need to be working together, so if one goes, the rest can still be a thing. As of right now sonic boom looks like disjointed mess of things, not exactly working with each other, that doesn't seem like its going to last that long.

I want it to do good, the show is doing good. I want the games and toys to do super good too. It just doesn't seem like anyone is working together with anyone right now.

...Ok, but why show need this lore? I don't really follow you logic that adding lore would boost sales of games, but whatever. That would help games. But Boom as cartoon doesn't need lore. It's "just a comedy", but people seems to like it that way, so what's the problem?
Sure we could add more game characters, lore and continuity but then Boom cartoon would stop being itself.

I think i have explained it clearly enough, but maybe we aren't compatible on this subject so lets just let it alone.

I feel like that sounded condescending and rude.

We aren't getting each other , is that any better. Not trying to sound like jerk
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Vampfox » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:41 pm

Yes sadly the tone has changed. There's less drama now unfortunately.

I miss the old drama from the original universe. The characters had more character development back then as well. One of my favorite stories was "Running To Stand Still" from issue 54 where Sonic was mad at Uncle Chuck for lying about the fate of his parents.
Sonic is just a boring character now who will never get any real character development ever again.

The old universe took the very best elements from Satam, the Sega Sonic canon, and a few unique elements of it's own and created a universe that in my option was better then the Sega Sonic canon.

As far as the art is concerned I miss the days of J. Axer, Dawn Best, and Steven Butlers old art style. Nowadays all the artists draw the characters in the same Sega Sonic style which gets boring.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Environment good industrialism Bad" 90's cartoon with Sonic slapped on

A lot of people seem to forget that the Sega Sonic canon has also had an environmental message at times as well(Sonic CD).
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:07 am

Vampfox wrote:Yes sadly the tone has changed. There's less drama now unfortunately.

I miss the old drama from the original universe. The characters had more character development back then as well. One of my favorite stories was "Running To Stand Still" from issue 54 where Sonic was mad at Uncle Chuck for lying about the fate of his parents.
Sonic is just a boring character now who will never get any real character development ever again.

The old universe took the very best elements from Satam, the Sega Sonic canon, and a few unique elements of it's own and created a universe that in my option was better then the Sega Sonic canon.

As far as the art is concerned I miss the days of J. Axer, Dawn Best, and Steven Butlers old art style. Nowadays all the artists draw the characters in the same Sega Sonic style which gets boring.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Environment good industrialism Bad" 90's cartoon with Sonic slapped on

A lot of people seem to forget that the Sega Sonic canon has also had an environmental message at times as well(Sonic CD).

While I'm fine with Ian's writing right now, I agree. The drama and character development has been heavily toned down, probably due to the comics becoming more popular among children, so the series had to have a decrease in drama and all that complicated stuff.
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:04 am

Vampfox wrote:

A lot of people seem to forget that the Sega Sonic canon has also had an environmental message at times as well(Sonic CD).[/color]

And people seem to forget Sonic CD's Good Futures were as industralised and technological as the Bad Futures, just done in a balance with nature. Just a touch, touch, subtler than the "NATURE GOOD ROBOT BAD" hammering the West did with SatAM et al.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby jazzflower92 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Vampfox wrote:Yes sadly the tone has changed. There's less drama now unfortunately.

Actually a lot of people would disagree because many fan remember how much the plot was tied in with love triangles and how grating the so called drama got. Just because its dramatic doesn't mean the work will be good because then it will come off as wangsty rather than endearing. I do think the current reboot should do what the 2003 Teen Titans did which is balance the drama and humor. Not to mention often times the old drama actually became kind of repetitive when it usually was about the same issue over and over again.

Also a lot of fans said that those designs from before Flynn, kind of creepily made the female characters fetishized.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:42 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:I do think the current reboot should do what the 2003 Teen Titans did which is balance the drama and humor.

I don't want to put wall of text saying what I think about old comic, but for me this balance already came in 160, with Flynn.

jazzflower92 wrote:Also a lot of fans said that those designs from before Flynn, kind of creepily made the female characters fetishized.

I think that's overreacting (maaaaaaaaaaybe except that story when Sally went into poll of Source of All). Sure, Butler made girl a little shapier, but nothing really 'fetishy'. (I've been on DeviantArt, I seen the horror :P). I never felt uncomfortable looking at comic's art. And I need to point out that I can't always say that about DC or Marvel comics. (Answer "But DC doesn't draw furries" doesn't really help. :wink: )
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby The Swordsman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm with Village on this. Why does Sonic Boom need lore? Well why should I should care about and and use my hard earned cash to buy a version of Sonic that has all the depth, continuity and character development from Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Adventure games striped out for a show where nothing happens, there will be never be any continuity and there are no real stakes? Even shows like According To Jim and Friends had some continuity so the stuff that did happen had some impact. There is a reason why SEGA insist that the main Sonic brand is still around, because while its great for some people, Sonic Boom is not for everyone, so if you like it great however there are reasons why some people like myself don't.

Now on to reply to Mordum,
Mordum wrote:
Village wrote:
Question, why do you think so many people asked for shadow so much in boom,

Because he's like Sonic but with black fur and has sad monologues.

No so there be something to finally impact the show in any way.
Mordum wrote:
Village wrote:
Because its interesting, having a developed setting is something i think sonic lacked, but the comics had for a while that kept them way more interesting than the games.

At the same time, it really says a lot when story has to be the main draw of your platformer. Since games aren't novels.

Its also what made Sonic more unique compared to Mario. Also games can be very plot heavy and engaging like many RPGs and the Metal Gear Solid series.
Mordum wrote:Long rant against super hero comics

You don't read much Marvel comics do you? Marvel to my knowledge has never fully rebooted the series which means that the continuity adds up so they can't tell the exact same stories anymore. Spider-Man grew up, Venom is a member of the Avengers and The Guardians Of The Galaxy, etc., etc. so the stories do have impact. Also as a minor note the fact that MLP has a huge fan base despite being aimed for little girls is a point in Village's favor.

On topic I think the tone shift is thanks to Ian having to start from scratch and will go back to normal once Ian has enough world building, characters and lore to play with.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby Penguin God » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:05 pm

I'm not getting involved in the rest of that, but I feel I should note that story was not what set Sonic apart from Mario. Comparing Super Mario Bros 3 to Sonic 2, you could easily say that Mario actually has more plot to it. The Genesis games have very simple "get here to stop endgame" scenarios. What made them stand out were two things. The first was the marketing, which pushed Sonic as a more interesting character than Mario. Devoid of any plot or situation, Sonic was made to be cooler, ruder and more exciting, and in a rare occurrence this push actually worked. The character design, the graphics and the music were all top notch and came together to give off a good atmosphere. The second, the part where Sonic actually differed from Mario, wasn't story either. It was this.
Slopes. Sonic's level design was intricate, expansive and interesting, with sloped curves that felt amazing to blow through or climb against in ways that Mario games couldn't offer. It was a mesh of good controls, level design, and art that made Sonic stand above the crowd. The story was so inconsequential that it was different in every single area Sonic was sold.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby The Swordsman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:19 pm

I understand, what I'm talking about only really started to come to effect in Sonic 3 were all the levels led into each other and there were more cutscenes.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:57 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:Also a lot of fans said that those designs from before Flynn, kind of creepily made the female characters fetishized.

I dunno if I'd call it fetishized but I just thought it was really... unappealing. I'm very glad the characters no longer look like this

imo the move to a house style where they try to match the Sega style as close as possible was the best decision the creative team's made
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby DoNotDelete » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:08 pm

I never really had a problem with the old designs - I think they were appropriate for the era they came from, but I like the new designs a lot too.

For a comic which has gone on for at least a couple of decades a character design update was well overdue, the whole Penders thing was just a good opportunity to follow through with it.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:10 pm

AllHailShadow wrote:

I dunno if I'd call it fetishized but I just thought it was really... unappealing. I'm very glad the characters no longer look like this

imo the move to a house style where they try to match the Sega style as close as possible was the best decision the creative team's made

Agreed. That cover always struck me as aiming at a more...mature demographic for some reason.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:14 pm

I just wanna know what's going on with Julie-su's eyes and mouth
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:13 pm

Ok, true, when when draw them with visible muscles, that was creepy. Still, I wouldn't call it "festishy", just bad.
I mean, is Sally at that cover really "aiming at a more...mature demographic"? Or Julie-Su?

If I really had to recall 'fanservice' I would point original XYL, with girl in swimming suits or pajama party. And that's writer fault, not artist.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius