Change of tone in sonic comics?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Change of tone in sonic comics?

Postby Azul » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:03 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Azul wrote:Eh, not really. Sure, pre-reboot had a lot of death, genocide, homicide, and politics but that doesn't really seem to alien from Sonic. If anything, its to reflect the nature of the recent games which can start out pretty lighthearted but end up calamity like a machine that sucks away the energy of everything and everyone on the planet.

Ow come on, that was dark for a Mario game, Sonic can go into a bit darker/maturer territories.

??? Sonic Lost World may be a bit to close to Super Mario Galaxy but it is not a Mario game.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:14 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:Like most things I blame it on people's determination to make every aspect of Sonic as "Serious" as SatAM.

BWAHAHAHA :(hearty laughter):
I'm sorry, I always giggle when I hear about "darkness of Satam". Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but people talk about it as it was Young Justice cartoon and Antoine with Dulcy never existed. :P

Dude look at my Twitter. I am anything but a SatAM fan.

Honestly Season 1 isn't horrible but neither season is "Dark" in the least bit. It's seriously just a generic 90's cartoon that people most likely have vague memories of.

Hey, hey hey, I didn't meant to disrespect Satam (...ok, I don't like it that much, but that's beside the point!). What I meant is that it was never that dark as people claim it to be. There is a Satam Season 3 webcomics which is pretty faithful, but treats itself waaay more serious than Satam ever did.

Um, I just said I wasn't a fan. I agree with you.

SatAM fans have redest of Rose Colored Glasses IMHO. I'm currently reWatching it and while I'm not hating it as bad as I used to it's still pretty bland all things considered.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Azul, choice of comparison was 100% random. I'm just saying that Lost World plot wasn't really all that dark or mature.
Sonic Adventure 1&2: stories of anger, revenge, loss.
Sonic Battle: Silly at first, but end on tragedy, with a bit of talking about world peace.
Sonic Black Knight: Fear of Death
Shadow game: darkness for darkness sake, but still dark
2006: Arguably same thing, but some people see deeper stuff in it. (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8076&start=285)
Lost World: Some jerks want to suck life from our planet.
It's barely more than Colors, Generations or Rise of Lyric. Even Unleash is a little maturer, just not with 'darkness', but with Sonic/Chip friendship.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Um, I just said I wasn't a fan. I agree with you.
SatAM fans have redest of Rose Colored Glasses IMHO. I'm currently reWatching it and while I'm not hating it as bad as I used to it's still pretty bland all things considered.

I know what you meant, but I don't want to be burned alive by it's fans :P
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:25 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:

I really do wish SatAM was allowed to be criticized. If you say it's anything but perfect you're just a hater who hates.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:26 pm

I don't know, I feel that was more some 5, 6 years ago, and nowadays it's pending heavily the opposite direction in most circles and people defending SatAM are mocked, pretty much
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:28 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Azul, choice of comparison was 100% random. I'm just saying that Lost World plot wasn't really all that dark or mature.
Sonic Adventure 1&2: stories of anger, revenge, loss.
Sonic Battle: Silly at first, but end on tragedy, with a bit of talking about world peace.
Sonic Black Knight: Fear of Death
Shadow game: darkness for darkness sake, but still dark
2006: Arguably same thing, but some people see deeper stuff in it. (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8076&start=285)
Lost World: Some jerks want to suck life from our planet.
It's barely more than Colors, Generations or Rise of Lyric. Even Unleash is a little maturer, just not with 'darkness', but with Sonic/Chip friendship.

Fair enough. My point of comparison was meant to specifically target Lost World anyway, just the direction that the games have been heading in. Although the Extractor used did have potential to wipe out all life on the planet and you can make what you want of this scene.
Last edited by Azul on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:27 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but people talk about it as it was Young Justice cartoon and Antoine with Dulcy never existed. :P

Young Justice had Captain Marvel.

It also wasn't that dark overall.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Mordum wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but people talk about it as it was Young Justice cartoon and Antoine with Dulcy never existed. :P

Who of course played by literally the best human being Rob Lowe
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Mordum wrote:

It was mature, I'm not entirely sure if we're talking about dark or mature here. And Marvel was only in few episodes.
But this show did had
Spoiler: show
Miss Martian brain damaging villains
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Spoiler: show
Greg Weisman is my favorite writer and this didn't bother me in the show itself, but it DOES severely hinder the maturity and complexity of Miss Martian's fall from grace when she's lobotomizing villains who're never really given any personal shades or complexities. They DID come from Rimbor, which may as well have been PLANET EVIL.

It's a light, acceptable cheat ala Coldsteel just being unambiguously evil in Gargoyles, but it's STILL a significant cheat that, if you're being perfectly honest and lacking in generosity, hinders the complexity of the situation.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I really do wish SatAM was allowed to be criticized. If you say it's anything but perfect you're just a hater who hates.

The KKM wrote:I don't know, I feel that was more some 5, 6 years ago, and nowadays it's pending heavily the opposite direction in most circles and people defending SatAM are mocked, pretty much

This. It feels very awkward to be a SatAM fan in the current fandom climate, most fans seem to dislike it's more serious edge (compared to AOSTH I mean, I have never felt, nor would ever suggest the series is "dark") and find it to be very un-Sonic like nowadays. The cartoon's not my favorite Sonic series (that's Sonic X by a country mile) but I do really like the show and feel it's in the same tier as say Swat Kats and TaleSpin: engaging kids series with solid animation, writing, and VO work. I like the ambition series like it have to build a universe and tell an ongoing plot, one that isn't reliant on just jokes. I hate taking the adventure out of Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's not to say if you don't like SatAM you're wrong; everyone's entitled to their own thoughts and opinions and I totally get and respect that. But I think Sonic Boom is garbage for example, but I know it's lots of people's favorite interpretation of Sonic right now. There's nothing wrong with either opinion, both are perfectly valid. I just wish we'd all recognize that and harmonize better. If only our souls weren't weighed down by Earth's gravity this wasn't the internet.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:19 pm

GentlemanX wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:I really do wish SatAM was allowed to be criticized. If you say it's anything but perfect you're just a hater who hates.

The KKM wrote:I don't know, I feel that was more some 5, 6 years ago, and nowadays it's pending heavily the opposite direction in most circles and people defending SatAM are mocked, pretty much

This. It feels very awkward to be a SatAM fan in the current fandom climate, most fans seem to dislike it's more serious edge (compared to AOSTH I mean, I have never felt, nor would ever suggest the series is "dark") and find it to be very un-Sonic like nowadays. The cartoon's not my favorite Sonic series (that's Sonic X by a country mile) but I do really like the show and feel it's in the same tier as say Swat Kats and TaleSpin: engaging kids series with solid animation, writing, and VO work. I like the ambition series like it have to build a universe and tell an ongoing plot, one that isn't reliant on just jokes. I hate taking the adventure out of Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's not to say if you don't like SatAM you're wrong; everyone's entitled to their own thoughts and opinions and I totally get and respect that. But I think Sonic Boom is garbage for example, but I know it's lots of people's favorite interpretation of Sonic right now. There's nothing wrong with either opinion, both are perfectly valid. I just wish we'd all recognize that and harmonize better. If only our souls weren't weighed down by Earth's gravity this wasn't the internet.

See to me SatAM is seriously just a generic "Environment good industrialism Bad" 90's cartoon with Sonic slapped on. I'm not going to say anyone who likes it is wrong for liking it but the series could literally have been anything and it'd still be just as generic to me.

I used to hate on it pretty bad but if you like it fine. I just honestly can't see It as anything but meh at best.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby ReifuTD » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:58 pm

The KKM wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:One story arc doesn't mean tonal shift, The reason why Sonic the Fighters adapt got so cartoony was because I believe the artist for that arc started out in the Sonic book drawing the off panels at the comic, Off Panel sketches tend to use more cartoony art and expressions and that is the kind of artists you'd get (Why you see Dub doing a lot of them), And as thing goes someone will eventfully go from drawing Off Panel to the main book. So I's suspect we will get more cartoony art in the main book as time goes on.

You say that as if it's a negative that should be removed from the artists, "oh they're just too stupid not to draw cartoony outside Off Panel" :V

How are you getting this? it seem pretty neutral.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:04 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
See to me SatAM is seriously just a generic "Environment good industrialism Bad" 90's cartoon with Sonic slapped on. I'm not going to say anyone who likes it is wrong for liking it but the series could literally have been anything and it'd still be just as generic to me.

I used to hate on it pretty bad but if you like it fine. I just honestly can't see It as anything but meh at best.

I've always wondered why Western Sonic fiction turned Sonic into a rebellious freedom fighter against dystopia and why Japanese fiction went the more messianic route (save for the...weird vibe you get from a blonde hero saving Japan from apocalyptic, nuclear level threats over and over).
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby The Jazzyman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Whoa Whoa, slow down people! I only posted this last night and there is already 2 pages! I feel that some people didn't interpret what I said as I would've liked them to, so here are a couple of replies:

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Hey remember when Universe had an arc where four teams were having wacky battles over a Sol Emerald and followed it up with Silver going to an alternate reality where Enerjaknuckles was a despot who sucked out peoples souls?

This comic is no stranger to Tonal Shift.

Also.

In my opinion, if the tone has been purposefully changed, I don't think it suits the series as much

Really? Are you seriously saying "Lighter Tone doesn't fit Sonic The Hedgehog". Why do people keep saying this? What about Sonic isn't Lighthearted?

I do understand that the series has undergone tonal changes in different story arcs, but the tone has sort of stayed with the issue following the Sonic the Fighters adaption. I liked before how they changed tone back and forth, but there seems to be a little too much of a comedic change recently with the main series. And to your other question, no I don't think that a full on Lighter Tone suits Sonic. Up until recently (excluding the classic games) the games have had dark themes. Think of Sonic Adventure 2. The character had his cocky personality, but the story took itself seriously.

akessel92 wrote:I think they change tones so the story doesn't seem all that depressing. Cause in my opinion from 230-247 was pretty dang depressing. Also, it wasn't long ago where the FFs lost the emerald to Eggman and nearly lost their lives and sonic turning into a werewolf. Not to mention starting this new continuity off with a planet wide disaster and in total chaos. And plus, in 273 that issue, even though it's crossover but it's pretty dang dark compared to the last few issues.

Yes, there have been some serious moments post-reboot, but they have never seemed to have any lasting effect. The effects seemed to only last 1 to 2 issues.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Like most things I blame it on people's determination to make every aspect of Sonic as "Serious" as SatAM.

I'm not really a SatAM fan. It isn't as dark as people remember and had that bad '90s cartoon' vibe. I don't need the comic to be overly 'dark', I just want the comic to not seem like a complete joke. I feel that the epicness, grand story and detailed universe the comic had before has been lost in the main comic series. Sonic Universe however has been a different story.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius