Unused and Scrapped Archie Sonic Comic Ideas

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Unused and Scrapped Archie Sonic Comic Ideas

Postby Village » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Meliden wrote:And Scourge wasn't much better.

I actually think he was... because he wasn't.

He was a horrible character who got power ups he shouldn't have, like legit should not have. Was magically attractive to a pantheon of women( some of which, were around and exposed to people of similar dispositions, but it was something magically about him ) and no one noticed attitude changes. And just an awful concept and hedgehog. He was "edgy recolor huh... here's an edgy recolor, see how bad that actually is " and it was actually terrible. If it wasn't for that SEGA logo, it would be legitimate fanfiction.

Here's the thing, no one likes him. Everyone hates, him, everyone. At some point everyone realized what was and him being around, made everyone better characters in general. Him being around and being a pile of poo made everyone one , in a way value who they were or ask import questions. Or throw hands in the case of tails. Shadow came out of dimension,saw scourge saw sonic and with little suggestion was like " lets bop this dude"

He made everyone better and more friendly towards each other in the end, by being horrible. And I feel like while we lost a horrible fan fiction in joke character. We also lost an amazing fan fiction in joke character
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby jazzflower92 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 pm

You know the coolest moment featuring Scourge is when Sonic's dad, Jules, gives him a verbal beat down calling him out as a coward and making him run away crying.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Although it did completely debase the claim that Sonic on a bad day could become him before he even made the claim.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DabigRG » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:41 pm

One of the most infamous among old school fans would be the whole "Neo Walkers" plot point that we introduced in StH 162, set up by Merlin's depature in StH 187, put in kibosh by SEGA, and finally lampshaded in StH 237's offpanel, along with the the delayed Endangered Species arc that was finally greenlighted around the same time.

Village wrote:
Meliden wrote:And Scourge wasn't much better.

I actually think he was... because he wasn't.

He was a horrible character who got power ups he shouldn't have, like legit should not have. And just an awful concept and hedgehog. He was "edgy recolor huh... here's an edgy recolor, see how bad that actually is " and it was actually terrible. If it wasn't for that SEGA logo, it would be legitimate fanfiction.

Here's the thing, no one likes him. Everyone hates, him, everyone.

He made everyone better and more friendly towards each other in the end, by being horrible. And I feel like while we lost a horrible fan fiction in joke character. We also lost an amazing fan fiction in joke character

I like how this post was a hilariously passive-aggressive comment on the quality of Scourge.

Personally, I felt that while Evil Sonic was a horrible waste of a tried-but-true formula, Scourge was an excellent evil twin and/or counterpart character while also being downplayed by its connections to Evil Sonic due to showcasing what an improvement it was. He was the first true [Evil] Sonic we ever had to my knowledge and he actually had a lasting effect on Sonic and those around him. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Penders in that he probably would have benefitted from being a separate character, especially given recent events.

With that said, lets keep the thread on topic and save the Scourge supposition/criticism for an appropriate thread.
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby Village » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:59 pm

DabigRG wrote:I like how this post was a hilariously passive-aggressive comment on the quality of Scourge.

Personally, I felt that while Evil Sonic was a horrible waste of a tried-but-true formula, Scourge was an excellent evil twin and/or counterpart character while also being downplayed by its connections to Evil Sonic due to showcasing what an improvement it was. He was the first true [Evil] Sonic we ever had to my knowledge and he actually had a lasting effect on Sonic and those around him. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Penders in that he probably would have benefitted from being a separate character, especially given recent events.

With that said, lets keep the thread on topic and save the Scourge supposition/criticism for an appropriate thread.

It wasn't nothing passive aggressive about it, direct . Scourge is a good character because he's a horrible character. Superboy PRIME levels.

But I agree , you are right. Lets leave it alone
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:11 pm

There is a worthwhile, intriguing discussion, especially in the context of Sonic, over the legitimacy of fanfiction tropes and conventions as published storytelling tools, and how valid a concept fanfiction even is as a basis for analysis.

Would probably make a cool thread all it's own.

Something something about unused concepts something something.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby DabigRG » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:00 pm

The original idea for the Gossamer Clan would have come from Karl Bollers: A neutral Order of hundreds of Ninja Spiders, they sheltered the eastern mountains with the exception of renegade Uma Arachnis. Having fallen under the control of the secretly corrupted Source of All, the Arachne would have enthralled the entire order, ironically placing them under the control of Uma's former master, Ixis Naugus.

It was a brilliant idea capable of at least rivalling the one that Mr. Flynn came up with, in my opinion. Which is exactly why he forgot it. :(hearty laughter):
Village wrote:It wasn't nothing passive aggressive about it, directly. Scourge is a good character because he's a horrible character. Superboy PRIME levels.

But I agree , you are right. Lets leave it alone

I know. I just didn't realize it until after reading through the whole thing, hence why I said passive-aggressive: you're complementing something by insulting it. Which, surprisingly, is a good thing. :D
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Both Ken Penders and Karl Bollers talked about their plans for the comic, if they had continued to work on it. Karl's plans are here, while Ken's are here.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:30 pm

There's also the scrapped Sonic Universe #50 original version which was going to be a Sonic Underground finale.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby MeltingMan234 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for the info guys, although I have no idea how this blog about scrapped concepts from former writers shifted to an argument over Scourge the Hedgehog. I was expecting the next out-of-no-where-off-topic-discussion would be arguing over Gemerl replacing Shard the Metal Sonic seeing as how both characters have very uncanny similar personalities and how both of them were evil then later became good.
MeltingMan234
BumbleNewbie

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:40 pm

I asked Ian about Lost Hedgehog Tales, and here's what he had to say:

Ian Flynn wrote:Updates on LHT are usually announced on the website or Twitter. There's been no sizable progress so far - maintaining work and finding work have to come first.

I completely understand that other obligations come first, but coming up on a year since the last time the forum was updated, I'd almost like to get a release of material that's been completed so far.

Personally, I would have loved to see more done with the Forgotten Wars, the Four Elite, and the Ixis Masterworks.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby OncleSam » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:13 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Omega was going to appear in 175 and (if I recall correctly) kill Tommy.

Snively. He was going to kill Snively.
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby ChaosJam » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:25 pm

OncleSam wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:Omega was going to appear in 175 and (if I recall correctly) kill Tommy.

Snively. He was going to kill Snively.

No it was Tommy who was going to be killed. Omega was originally going to be in Snively's roll during the attack on Knothole and kill Tommy during it but the robot was hands off at the time. So Ian sped up his plan to kill Tommy off in Order from Chaos and Snively took part in the raid of Knothole instead.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby redhedge47 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Reading this thread reminded me of Flynn's "Lost Hedgehog Tales" project. As far as I know he hasn't made any comments about it in the past year, does anyone know what became of that project?
Last edited by redhedge47 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redhedge47
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:06 pm

redhedge47 wrote:Reading this thread reminded me of Flynn's "Lost Hedgehog Tales" project. As far as I know he hasn't made any comments about it in the past year, dies anyone know what became of that project?

Still in the works, hasn't had time to properly finish it (or the first chapter of it he'd release) due to work and finding work, he hopes he can get a part out before 2016, although that's not a guarantee.
Meliden
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius