Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Postby faceclams » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:08 pm

samuraiman26 wrote:Honestly I felt the need to log in and tell you guys that even though the roster is very big, the characters are limited to like 2 events each except for Mario and Sonic. So if I want to play boxing with Tails, I can't because his two events are Swimming and Volleyball. So basically you can only use each character for only 2 events.

I felt I should mention this because everyone seems excited about the notion of having multiple characters and doing a boxing match or something with a specific character when in truth, it can't happen because of how they made the game.

That's a bummer, I heard that some characters were event limited but I had no idea it was just to two events. Do you know if this is true for the WiiU version as well? Or just the 3DS version?
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby ToaArcan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Wow. That would've been a deal-breaker if I was interested in the first place.

Also, of all Sonic characters, Eggman Nega? Really? Were they just too lazy to make a new model from scratch?
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Eggman Nega has appeared in this series before. He also seems to be a parallel to Dry Bowser.

I guess I can live with only two events each if Eggman was picked for Ribbon Dancing.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby samuraiman26 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:58 pm

faceclams wrote:
That's a bummer, I heard that some characters were event limited but I had no idea it was just to two events. Do you know if this is true for the WiiU version as well? Or just the 3DS version?

I haven't heard anything but I think it is only going to be the 3ds version. They did that with the 3ds version of 2012 @ London where all the characters are broken up into categories and can only do events that fits them. Except in that case it was more than 2 events for most people. However the few trailers for the Wii U version has showed characters doing other events so it shouldn't be this way.

Here are the characters (copied from perfectly Nintendo website. Credit to them)

Mario
Peach (Golf, 100 metres Freestyle)
Luigi (Table Tennis, 110 metres hurdles)
Daisy (Soccer / Football, Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Birdo (Archery)
Bowser Jr. (Long Jump, Equestrian)
Bowser (Golf, Boxing)
Donkey Kong (Boxing, Beach Volley)
Yoshi (Soccer / Football, 100 metres)
Wario (Javelin throw, Archery)
Waluigi (Long Jump, BMX)
Diddy Kong (110 metres hurdles)
Dry Bones (BMX)
Ludwig (Table Tennis)
Nabbit (100 metres)
Rosalina (Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Dry Bowser (Javelin throw)
Roy (Beach Volley)
Larry (Equestrian)
Wendy (100 metres Freestyle)
Tails (100 metres Freestyle, Beach Volley)
Amy (100 metres Freestyle, Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Knuckles (Javelin throw, Boxing)
Cream (Beach Volley)
Vector (Golf, Table Tennis)
Espio (Long Jump)
Blaze (Equestrian, Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Metal Sonic (100 metres, BMX)
Silver (110 metres hurdles, Archery)
Shadow (Soccer / Football, 100 metres)
Omega (Javelin throw)
Dr. Eggman (110m hurdles, Equestian)
Dr. Eggman Nega (Long Jump)
Wave (BMX)
Sticks (Archery)
Jet (Soccer / Football)
Zavok (Boxing)
Zazz (Table Tennis)
Rouge (Golf)

So as you see, if for instance you want Rouge and Knuckles to box it isn't happening. Rouge is ONLY in golf. I also know these are correct because the main website lists these sports next the the characters. I wish they didn't do that :/
samuraiman26
BumbleNewbie

Postby faceclams » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:18 pm

*sigh* I can kind of see their reasoning, you usually want to choose a character with decent stats in the event you're playing, so why bother having the character with a 2 in speed participate in sprints? Does this mean they got rid of stats in the 3DS version?
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:48 pm

samuraiman26 wrote:Honestly I felt the need to log in and tell you guys that even though the roster is very big, the characters are limited to like 2 events each except for Mario and Sonic. So if I want to play boxing with Tails, I can't because his two events are Swimming and Volleyball. So basically you can only use each character for only 2 events.

I felt I should mention this because everyone seems excited about the notion of having multiple characters and doing a boxing match or something with a specific character when in truth, it can't happen because of how they made the game.

*crosses game off wishlist*
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Postby samuraiman26 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:52 pm

There are still stats based off the arcade version.

But still, stats matter but then they don't at the same time. From my experience any character can do good at any event and first place. Like Tails had lower speed but high acceleration but you could still beat Sonic in a foot race easily. So really that isn't why I think. I think you should choose a character you enjoy playing not just the ones with the highest stats even if it means it makes winning harder. But that's just me.

Also @ above. I understand completely. That is why I felt I should mention it because everyone was hyped to play their favorite characters like Espio, but only to be disappointed when more people realize.
samuraiman26
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mobotropolis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:02 pm

The saddest part about this is that despite this travesty the game will still sell enough to be profitable. :cry:
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:08 pm

To be clear, the roster limitations are just for the 3DS and not Wii U?
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:49 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:To be clear, the roster limitations are just for the 3DS and not Wii U?

If it's like the London Olympics where the 3DS version had exactly the same sort of arbitrary limitations on playable events for certain characters, should be just the portable version these limits are on.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby samuraiman26 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:07 am

Yeah if I had to guess they wouldn't do it for Wii U. But like mentioned above they did it for London 2012. Except for the fact that they grouped the characters into 4s and they were able to play on more than just 2 events for most characters.

Which begs the question, if the Wii U version will have all these characters. But as you saw above, a lot of them are one event only. I don't understand why they do that though honestly. Anyhow, most people would be upset especially for a console party game of if they placed restrictions on who you can play. So I imagine they wouldn't do that. In fact I suspect the 3DS is like the trial version of the game until the Wii U version comes out. Like Smash bros.
samuraiman26
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mordum » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:31 am

samuraiman26 wrote:I don't understand why they do that though honestly.

Olympic athletes only train for one sport.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:34 am

In the context of the game mechanics, probably because programming everyone for every event was considered too much for the 3DS to handle.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby RaceProUK » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:38 am

Mordum wrote:Olympic athletes only train for one sport.
True, but at any particular games there are several thousand athletes.

Meliden wrote:In the context of the game mechanics, probably because programming everyone for every event was considered too much for the 3DS to handle.
Depends on how you architect the software; done correctly, adding a new character could be as simple as just adding the assets.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:17 am

I'm okay with this for the same reason I love the handheld versions, if they come through with it here: the Adventure modes.

That's the main thing I play for, and most are relegated to one sport or another there, anyway. So this works well enough for me.

All told, I think having just Mario and Sonic being the "every event" characters might make things interesting that way, too.

...does kinda suck that Waluigi doesn't get a gun again, though.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius