The Topic of Sensibly Pinpointing Vital Statistics

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

The Topic of Sensibly Pinpointing Vital Statistics

Postby Meliden » Tue May 19, 2015 10:38 am

Hey, so while I'm in a technical mood, let's talk about estimating what we think for the new vital statistics of the comic cast, to better fit in with the more game-centric world.

For those who don't know the term, vital statistics refers to your very basic personal stats (moreso for the likes of roleplaying games than real life, since real life refers to stats recorded either for your clothes or for your death). The chief stats that come under this banner are age, height and weight. Each one of these is recorded for the Sonic characters, so let's take one for a ballpark of averages in the Sonic world.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Height: 100cm
Weight: 35kg

So basically Sonic characters tend to be pretty small in comparison to human height, but they're pretty weighty for those heights. The normal age range also falls in the teens. Female characters tend to be secretive with their weights (bar one, Cream), and they tend to be smaller (Rouge and Wave at 18 are 110cm, same height as Knuckles and Espio at 16). Species obviously can affect height, but it can also have an effect on weight surprisingly (Birds and Insects are lighter [Jet is lighter than the three male hedgehog by 2kg despite being the same height, Charmy is 2kg lighter than Cream despite being the same height, Storm is only 80kg at 140cm when he has a Big-like build], some oddballs are disproportionately heavy [Big is 280kg at 200cm, Vector is 200kg at 180cm when Eggman is 128kg at 185cm].

And finally, I'm going to note down the scarce few things we know that can give a start on some cases;
-Tails is living independently at 8, although he is a genius. Amy is doing so at age 12.
-High positions of responsibility seem to start being held from 14 onwards.
-Bunnie and Antoine are old enough to be married after a developed relationship.
-Relic is confirmed older than Knuckles so she's more than 16.

Aside from that, I think we can get our analytical processes going for some estimation now!
Meliden
BumbleCult

Re: The Topic of Sensibly Pinpointing Vital Statistics

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 am

Isn't Sonic technically a "teen forever" with no actual specific age? I thought Sega made Ian change the birthday story to reflect this because the character can no longer have a specific age?
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am

Astrobot7000 wrote:Isn't Sonic technically a "teen forever" with no actual specific age? I thought Sega made Ian change the birthday story to reflect this because the character can no longer have a specific age?

Sonic has had an age since the days of Sonic Jam, and games where trivia is involved (Mario and Sonic London, 2011) will use those ages as part of the trivia pool. If anything, Archie would have said Sonic was a teen because it wasn't in line with what the games and Sonic Channel say (he would have been physically 16 and mentally 17 or some crazy thing like that, whereas the games established Sonic as 15 long before then).
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Yeah, I don't really know what to do with those numbers. Um, fan facts I guess.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Tue May 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Uh, maybe I should give an example of estimating from my train of thought?

Okay, so this will cover the core Freedom Fighter unit*. For references, I'll be using the first four Sonic Comic Origins, as well as StH#256, StH#237 and StH#268.

-The first thing that I think needs to be taken into account is the coup with regards to Bunnie. Bunnie right now is old and mature enough to get married, but the flashback showed her having tea parties and generally showing behaviour before that 'tween' phase (one that Amy's in). That has to be balanced with them all being young enough to be portrayed as kids during the coup phase. So, making a sensible timescale (that wouldn't be dated in the book because you can't implicate them aging, but still useful as a hypothetical timescale), the only way I can see the two things being able to reconcile would be if the formation of the Freedom Fighters was about seven years prior (which would make Sonic 8 at that time, which coincidentally is when Sonic was starting his heroics pre-reboot), the coup itself occurred sometime before that (a year or so maybe?) and Bunnie would now be 18. It's a good age to show maturity, and that would mean her pre-coup look would be circa ten years old, pushing it but not entirely unbelievable given that she was being raised as a belle.
-Antoine would be around the same age probably, but it's less important as long as he's above 8 or so at the coup given his move to Mobotropolis. I'd say 18-19 would be a good guide.
-Rotor again should be old enough to make his migration from his home believable within the Sonic boundaries, but there's nothing within the timeline to denote anything specific. That said, he does have quite a temper, and one which doesn't strike me as the manchild variety (hi Vector, hi Eggman). I'd go with 17 for him.
-Sally still had contact with her father at the time of the coup so she doesn't need to be that old. In fact, the fact she's still getting to grips with some parts of leadership while showing resolve in other areas does paint her as competent but inexperienced with more extreme cases. Plus she apparently has that rashness going on. 14-15 would be my estimate, preferably 14. It may seem redundant to have two 14 year old princesses, but the Sonic series already has Silver and Jet, who share age and height, and have very similar weight. Plus that'd mean she would have formed the Freedom Fighters when she was seven, and we know a certain plucky raccoon has desire to lead her own forces at that age.

Height

-Have to be honest, it can vary a bit, but there does seem to be a bit of a consistent thing. For Sally she can be portrayed as a bit shorter than Sonic, or the same height. 95-100cm would work for her.
-Bunnie seems to vary between being the same height and being a bit taller than Sally. Given her species, I don't think she'd quite be up to the height of Wave and Rouge, so 100-105cm would be my guess.
-Antoine seems to be a bit taller than Sonic. and perhaps even Bunnie when him severely slouching can come close to her sitting up, leaning slightly onto the table. 105-110cm? It'd keep up the taller rival to Sonic thing that Knuckles has going on. :P
-Rotor, surprisingly, doesn't seem that much taller. He may be stocky, but he's consistently (consistent as in 'he's not Big who's been drawn as only slightly taller than Sonic when he's double his height') shown as only coming up a little bit past the other Freedom Fighters. I'd peg him at 120-130cm, not even tall enough to reach Omega (who's ridiculously short for his stature at 150cm. Gamma is 215cm) and Storm, and possibly only just on par with the Werehog (who we haven't seen on panel with Rotor yet).

Weight

-Sally doesn't seem particularly off average, but she's not exactly lean and fast like Sonic, or even Amy. Anywhere from 25-30kg seems a reasonable estimate.
-Bunnie is probably somewhat heavier thanks to her cybernetics, but I don't think they're that heavy that it breaches the hundred barrier like other non-standard power characters (standard power characters being Knuckles and...Knuckles). Really, the figure could be anything depending on those limbs, but 50kg would keep her within distance of Knuckles' weight (44kg).
-Antoine looks like he is fairly speedy and lean, so I wouldn't put him at Knuckles' weight. At the same time, I don't think he's so lean that's he goes down to Espio's 36kg (considering Sonic is already super lean, 10cm shorter and still only a kilo lighter, that's ridiculous). 39-40kg seems right for me, and because we've got such polar opposites within the same height scale I feel confident with such a narrow band.
-Rotor is tricky. Walruses are pretty weighty, so he's not going to be light like Storm and Eggman (Eggman is obese, but he's actually within a realistic scale for a human) are for their height. But he's still not that tall so he won't be a super heavyweight either, or at least he's not going to be on the same skewed scale Vector and Big are. anywhere from 80-90kg, still more than the Werehog at 60kg.

And there we go for now. Ish. There's an example.

*Nicole isn't included in that because...she's a hologram, no age or weight to speak of. She does appear to be the same height as Sally in #257, so I guess her holographic form has a standard height about that area.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Return to This Side of Mobius