The Sonally Story

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

After the "StH/MM: Worlds Unite" crossover event, will Sonic and Sally be in love again?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:14 am

Yes
11
19%
No
37
65%
Have no idea
9
16%
 
Total votes : 57

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby Uwaaii » Wed May 20, 2015 3:46 pm

I don’t really care of Sonally (I don’t hate it, mind you) just because I’m not interested in it and the current reboot looks so much better than the old one with so many love plots. Sorry.

I’m not really the type that enjoy stories focusing on love. Fanfic or official, I breeze through context that have to do with love most of the time unless it’s something I can tolerate or it’s connected to the main plot and I have to read it. And I read the Archie comic to see Sonic and his friends go on adventures and stuff, not to see some love romance.

Second, this love thing changes Sonic’s personality. There are characters that you can get around and ship without altering their character but in Sonic, you can’t avoid that. Sega specifically said Sonic cannot be in a relationship because that’s what he is and how he’s supposed to be: not interested in love. That's what describes his personality. So I can’t really get myself to like Sonally because I feel it’s not Sonic anymore. I’m fine with fanfics and personal shipping of characters because it’s not canon and I don’t have to accept it. But Archie is sort of like an official comic approved by Sega and read by a bunch of people who consider it canon so…

I'm not saying all romance/love elements should be removed; I know there are fans out there who loves shipping and love stories and fictional characters making out and all that. Just saying I don't want too much of it that its affecting the whole story line.
DC wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again I just don't see Sonic as the relationship type. I see him more as the "Quick Fling no emotional attachment" Type personally.

Sonic just kinda dives headfirst into everything I don't really see that as the kind of guy who settles down with one person.


"No emotional attachment" doesn't sound like good trait to me. One thing is liking freedom, other thinking "I don't need close ones, they would slow me down".... and now I think about Sonic Heroes or Sonic Boom.


Exactly, it makes him seem like a cold person, selfish, and not honorable. Sega needs to drop this mandate(it is unacceptable) and let Sonic and Sally be a permanent couple. At their best, Sonic and Sally just seem right together. Nitroactive is right, it is sad that more fans don't like Sonic and Sally as a couple and that the relationship drama probably did turn some fans against them.

Wait, are you seriously saying Sonic is cold, selfish and un-honorable just because he doesn’t fall in love with a girl????? This is getting ridiculous…

Sonic always care about his friends; he likes to live in freedom and adventure, hates being ordered around, sometimes short-tempered and usually a jerk, but he will try to stop and put all that aside when his friend or even a random stranger is in need of help. He'll even risk his life or obey Eggman's order knowing it's a trap to save his friends. Like, he runs way from Amy’s constant demand but never reject her, respects her opinions and even cares about her when she’s in trouble; he doesn’t have any feelings toward her but still treats her the same as all his friends. You call that cold and selfish? He does have feelings, he does care for his friend deeply. Its just LOVE that he doesn't feel. And its completely normal to not have any sexual/romantic attraction and still be not-cold, not-selfish, and honorable.

The “Sonic has a girlfriend” or “Sonic likes girls” thing is only in the cartoon/comics. The official Sonic games never mention Sonic with a GF or being attracted to someone, because that’s how he’s supposed to be. Yes he acts all gentlemanly and nice to all the female characters and most of them fall in love with him or something, but he’s doing it just because they are in trouble and he wants them to be happy. The cartoon/comic changed so much detail but got away with it simply because Sega allowed them to. I don't hate Sonally but saying “I hate Sega for imposing that stupid mandate” is pretty much denying the official and real Sonic and just too much.
User avatar
Uwaaii
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:09 am
Location: Where am I

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Thu May 21, 2015 12:13 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Sigh, this poll didn't asked as if we WANT Sonally back, but if we EXPECT them go get together. Which has zero chance for nearest future.

Yeah, I noticed that earlier and I can't believe I made that mistake.
User avatar
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: United States

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby TCH2 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:07 pm

I'd love for them to be together again, but sadly, SEGA may never let that happen; plus, Ian doesn't seem to want to cause any conflicts over who Sonic should be with. But regardless, I think they should be together because they work off each other so well...
TCH2
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby jazzflower92 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Too often these love stories turns the female heroine into a cardboard cut out with the same old cliches slapped on them. In the reboot, Sally feels more like her own character instead of being strangled together with Sonic.
User avatar
jazzflower92
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:43 am

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby MarioandSonic999 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Uwaaii wrote:I don’t really care of Sonally (I don’t hate it, mind you) just because I’m not interested in it and the current reboot looks so much better than the old one with so many love plots. Sorry.

I’m not really the type that enjoy stories focusing on love. Fanfic or official, I breeze through context that have to do with love most of the time unless it’s something I can tolerate or it’s connected to the main plot and I have to read it. And I read the Archie comic to see Sonic and his friends go on adventures and stuff, not to see some love romance.

Second, this love thing changes Sonic’s personality. There are characters that you can get around and ship without altering their character but in Sonic, you can’t avoid that. Sega specifically said Sonic cannot be in a relationship because that’s what he is and how he’s supposed to be: not interested in love. That's what describes his personality. So I can’t really get myself to like Sonally because I feel it’s not Sonic anymore. I’m fine with fanfics and personal shipping of characters because it’s not canon and I don’t have to accept it. But Archie is sort of like an official comic approved by Sega and read by a bunch of people who consider it canon so…

I'm not saying all romance/love elements should be removed; I know there are fans out there who loves shipping and love stories and fictional characters making out and all that. Just saying I don't want too much of it that its affecting the whole story line.
DC wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again I just don't see Sonic as the relationship type. I see him more as the "Quick Fling no emotional attachment" Type personally.

Sonic just kinda dives headfirst into everything I don't really see that as the kind of guy who settles down with one person.


"No emotional attachment" doesn't sound like good trait to me. One thing is liking freedom, other thinking "I don't need close ones, they would slow me down".... and now I think about Sonic Heroes or Sonic Boom.


Exactly, it makes him seem like a cold person, selfish, and not honorable. Sega needs to drop this mandate(it is unacceptable) and let Sonic and Sally be a permanent couple. At their best, Sonic and Sally just seem right together. Nitroactive is right, it is sad that more fans don't like Sonic and Sally as a couple and that the relationship drama probably did turn some fans against them.

Wait, are you seriously saying Sonic is cold, selfish and un-honorable just because he doesn’t fall in love with a girl????? This is getting ridiculous…

Sonic always care about his friends; he likes to live in freedom and adventure, hates being ordered around, sometimes short-tempered and usually a jerk, but he will try to stop and put all that aside when his friend or even a random stranger is in need of help. He'll even risk his life or obey Eggman's order knowing it's a trap to save his friends. Like, he runs way from Amy’s constant demand but never reject her, respects her opinions and even cares about her when she’s in trouble; he doesn’t have any feelings toward her but still treats her the same as all his friends. You call that cold and selfish? He does have feelings, he does care for his friend deeply. Its just LOVE that he doesn't feel. And its completely normal to not have any sexual/romantic attraction and still be not-cold, not-selfish, and honorable.

The “Sonic has a girlfriend” or “Sonic likes girls” thing is only in the cartoon/comics. The official Sonic games never mention Sonic with a GF or being attracted to someone, because that’s how he’s supposed to be. Yes he acts all gentlemanly and nice to all the female characters and most of them fall in love with him or something, but he’s doing it just because they are in trouble and he wants them to be happy. The cartoon/comic changed so much detail but got away with it simply because Sega allowed them to. I don't hate Sonally but saying “I hate Sega for imposing that stupid mandate” is pretty much denying the official and real Sonic and just too much.

Hey users! You should check out my "Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters - Fanfiction Stories" topic on the BumbleKreative Korner forum! We have tons of stories, plus love notes and some poems that was made inspired by Sally Acorn herself!
User avatar
MarioandSonic999
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 2:56 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby The Swordsman » Thu May 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Uwaaii wrote:The “Sonic has a girlfriend” or “Sonic likes girls” thing is only in the cartoon/comics. The official Sonic games never mention Sonic with a GF or being attracted to someone, because that’s how he’s supposed to be. Yes he acts all gentlemanly and nice to all the female characters and most of them fall in love with him or something, but he’s doing it just because they are in trouble and he wants them to be happy. The cartoon/comic changed so much detail but got away with it simply because Sega allowed them to. I don't hate Sonally but saying “I hate Sega for imposing that stupid mandate” is pretty much denying the official and real Sonic and just too much.

What if I told you that the official SEGA!Sonic actually started out with a human girlfriend named Madonna until America wisely suggested it wasn't a good idea? Or that in Bioware's Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood you can actually get Sonic to say he likes Amy back? Then we have the whole debacle with Sonic 2006... point is SEGA doesn't necessarily have a problem with SEGA!Sonic being in a relationship or see SEGA!Sonic not being the relationship type, otherwise this stuff wouldn't be included in any of the games or other media.

On topic, no I do not see that happening at all, not only because of the mandates but also because Ian is tired of all of the shipping wars so Archie!Sonic probably won't be in any relationship for the foreseeable future. Now on the question if I would like to see it return, I'd say sure. The Sonic and Sally romance was arguably the only well written one (with proper writers of course) that any incarnation of Sonic has ever had and I used to hate Sally,
User avatar
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:05 pm
Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby Uwaaii » Fri May 22, 2015 1:30 am

The Swordsman wrote: What if I told you that the official SEGA!Sonic actually started out with a human girlfriend named Madonna until America wisely suggested it wasn't a good idea?

They were planning to add Madonna, but dropped it because 1. America decided she was a little inappropriate and too “Japanese” (whatever that means) 2.It was following the hero save heroine cliché (that Mario was doing) and wanted to try something new, starting the Sonic game pattern: without any love-interests, Sonic being the adventure>>love type, and more focus on fighting Eggman. You can’t say “oh but Sonic was supposed to have a GF” as evidence to whether Sonic would fall in love when the removal of the said GF was what created the current Sonic we have today.
The Swordsman wrote: Then we have the whole debacle with Sonic 2006...

Can you tell me about the “debacle” if you don’t mind? If I remember correctly Sonic in 06 wasn’t in a relationship if that’s what you want to talk about; at least I don’t see it like that. Elise obviously had a crush on him which seriously went overboard in the kissing scene, and Amy was the usual Amy. But Sonic? I think there was that one mission that you had to choose either Amy or Elise, but I think that was more directed toward the player.
The Swordsman wrote: Or that in Bioware's Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood you can actually get Sonic to say he likes Amy back?

No. The Dark Brotherhood is just…no. There are a lot of people who treat the 06 game as their complete no-no that shall not be mentioned in front of them. To me, DB goes in this category. So I will apologize beforehand because I’m not going to even understand what I’m going to write next.

I don’t know how Bioware would make such a mess. The RPG part was fine, totally fine. But the game destroyed most of the character’s established personality/trait by mixing in canon(game) and non-canon(satam, heavily Archie, original) stuff, including making Sonic say stuff that he would regularly never say. The only one with a decent characterization was Knuckles who they treated as the sole and most important character of the story (which is fine by itself but looks bad when the other characters are treated badly). The story itself is just too broad and too shallow (they introduce all these foreshadowing and new stuff like aliens/dimensions/a bunch of echidnas and all that, but they throw most of it out and leave a bad cliffhanger saying “oh isn’t this is a GREAT game!? wait for the sequel!!!”),...And given that Bioware revealed that they already had the script of DB 2 ready? People say that this game is brilliant because it’s an RPG, that this game is their favorite because it portrays the characters better (which already states that they didn’t like the original characterization in the games), but to me no. I'm not saying they're wrong, they're totally fine enjoying DB, but I just...no. NO.

You can say “but SEGA published this so you need to take it into account!” but I won’t consider it a proper canon story because I think this game is so terrible I would so much wish to call it a badly made fan game, and because its a "spin-off" that is completely separate from the main storyline.
The Swordsman wrote: point is SEGA doesn't necessarily have a problem with SEGA!Sonic being in a relationship or see SEGA!Sonic not being the relationship type, otherwise this stuff wouldn't be included in any of the games or other media.

DB is categorized as "spin-off" along with SonicX and Sonic Boom. If that is true these titles have something in common here: they all change some of the original settings, give their individual twist, and for some reason ship SonicxAmy that we never see in the original. Why? I don't know; maybe the spin-off people thought it was cute or something, or wanted to satisfy the western ideal portrayal of "Every cool hero needs a girl!". Whatever the reason, its a spin-off so its not really cannon. If there is any other game with Sonic having feelings toward a girl please tell me, because hey maybe you're right and I simply did not give any attention to those things. Maybe. IDK.
User avatar
Uwaaii
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:09 am
Location: Where am I

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Fri May 22, 2015 3:50 am

MarioandSonic999 wrote:
Uwaaii wrote:Hey users! You should check out my "Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters - Fanfiction Stories" topic on the BumbleKreative Korner forum! We have tons of stories, plus love notes and some poems that was made inspired by Sally Acorn herself!


Dude, no offence, but stop throwing commercial into our faces. Every time you make a new post there I see it. You don't have to remind me of this existence.
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby MarioandSonic999 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:16 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
MarioandSonic999 wrote:
Uwaaii wrote:Hey users! You should check out my "Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters - Fanfiction Stories" topic on the BumbleKreative Korner forum! We have tons of stories, plus love notes and some poems that was made inspired by Sally Acorn herself!


Dude, no offence, but stop throwing commercial into our faces. Every time you make a new post there I see it. You don't have to remind me of this existence.

I see that, sir...
User avatar
MarioandSonic999
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 2:56 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby Meliden » Fri May 22, 2015 6:52 am

Well, the official line is still that they're just friends, and given that he also said he decided no more romance (for that particular love triangle at least, it doesn't count established examples like Antoine and Bunnie), yeah it's not going to happen.
User avatar
Meliden
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: ベクエス

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby Antiyonder » Fri May 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Uwaaii wrote:Second, this love thing changes Sonic’s personality. There are characters that you can get around and ship without altering their character but in Sonic, you can’t avoid that. Sega specifically said Sonic cannot be in a relationship because that’s what he is and how he’s supposed to be: not interested in love. That's what describes his personality. So I can’t really get myself to like Sonally because I feel it’s not Sonic anymore. I’m fine with fanfics and personal shipping of characters because it’s not canon and I don’t have to accept it. But Archie is sort of like an official comic approved by Sega and read by a bunch of people who consider it canon so…


Frankly as one who wouldn't mind the pairing, I can respect Ian vetoing it for creative choices and because of the possible wraith of (Sonamy), but I really can't say that SEGA is limiting it for quality and character integrity.

I mean this is the same company who suggested that even in a future with Sonally being canon that Amy Rose would basically be a crazy old cat lady who still pines for a married Sonic who has kids. Not by intent of course, but mandating that Amy still has to be obsessed with Sonic even one who's no longer available to her.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 am

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby Penguin God » Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm

I don't think that was a Sega mandate, especially since it never appeared anywhere in the books.
User avatar
Penguin God
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 8406
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby The Swordsman » Fri May 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Uwaaii wrote:
The Swordsman wrote: Then we have the whole debacle with Sonic 2006...

Can you tell me about the “debacle” if you don’t mind? If I remember correctly Sonic in 06 wasn’t in a relationship if that’s what you want to talk about; at least I don’t see it like that. Elise obviously had a crush on him which seriously went overboard in the kissing scene, and Amy was the usual Amy. But Sonic? I think there was that one mission that you had to choose either Amy or Elise, but I think that was more directed toward the player.

Not only was there that mission but in cut scenes it was implied that Sonic actually liked Elise back. How I wish I could forget 2006...
The Swordsman wrote: point is SEGA doesn't necessarily have a problem with SEGA!Sonic being in a relationship or see SEGA!Sonic not being the relationship type, otherwise this stuff wouldn't be included in any of the games or other media.

Uwaaii wrote:DB is categorized as "spin-off" along with SonicX and Sonic Boom. If that is true these titles have something in common here: they all change some of the original settings, give their individual twist, and for some reason ship SonicxAmy that we never see in the original. Why? I don't know; maybe the spin-off people thought it was cute or something, or wanted to satisfy the western ideal portrayal of "Every cool hero needs a girl!". Whatever the reason, its a spin-off so its not really cannon. If there is any other game with Sonic having feelings toward a girl please tell me, because hey maybe you're right and I simply did not give any attention to those things. Maybe. IDK.

There was the ending cut scene in Black Night that revealed Sonic was telling Amy what he did in the game as an excuse for why he missed their date and before you say spinoff Sonic Colors references the storybook series so those games are canon. (How Amy got Sonic to accept is beyond me though)
User avatar
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:05 pm
Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby Meliden » Fri May 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Antiyonder wrote:I mean this is the same company who suggested that even in a future with Sonally being canon that Amy Rose would basically be a crazy old cat lady who still pines for a married Sonic who has kids. Not by intent of course, but mandating that Amy still has to be obsessed with Sonic even one who's no longer available to her.


Well, it's not exactly the modern (maybe not current since this was back in 2009/2010) SEGA's fault for M:XYL existing before the mandates got enforced better, it's older SEGA's fault for being so slack when M:XYL was conceived and having this be an issue in the first place.
User avatar
Meliden
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: ベクエス

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby Kellox » Fri May 22, 2015 5:29 pm

One of the reasons why I want to see Sonic remain single and his relationship with Sally be just hinted from time to time, I am just not comfortable with the idea of Amy Rose being turned into a rather mean girl stereotype that has a toxic obsession with her crush I like Amy's crush to remain cute and funny.
User avatar
Kellox
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:59 am
Location: Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron