The Sonally Story

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

After the "StH/MM: Worlds Unite" crossover event, will Sonic and Sally be in love again?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:14 am

Yes
19%
No
65%
Have no idea
16%

Total votes : 57

Re: The Sonally Story

Postby MarioandSonic999 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Kellox wrote:I like the paring but I dont like it to be canon. I can't imagine Sonic being serious in a relationship anddd

Sonic is confirmed not to be a romantic guy who into relationships.
Two one of Sega mandates is for Amy Rose never to give up on her crush and will keep chasing Sonic even if he is in a relationship with someone else. This would imo make Amy Rose look like a pretty mean girl and I personally prefer Ian's method that Amy doesn't give up but loves Sonic to the point she is happy when he is happy. I don't like the stereotype of girls chasing guys who are already taken. That personally just doesn't sit well with me. So I do not want to see that happening there is a big reason why I like Amy Rose from Ian's writing way over Amy Rose from Sonic X.

What I do like to see is the flirt and banter between the two, if we can have sonamy fanservice why not sonally fanservice as well? everyone is happy and no couple is getting the pet peev treatment.
Either in my world, those 2 lovebirds would be romantic. Sonally are best friends, but not the lovebirds that I'm talking about. I only made that topic because it was just a speculation for the two to be in love again.
MarioandSonic999
BumbleFan

Postby TurboTailz » Tue May 19, 2015 1:06 pm

No double posting just add quotes to your post
MarioandSonic999 wrote:I made the topic because it was just a speculation for "Sonic" fans for whether Sonic and Sally would be in love again or not. And it doesn't have to do with Ken Penders, either. Either I know, it would be fan fiction for a topic like that...

MarioandSonic999 wrote:Either in my world, those 2 lovebirds would be romantic. Sonally are best friends, but not the lovebirds that I'm talking about. I only made that topic because it was just a speculation for the two to be in love again.

Just do it like this.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby ChaosJam » Tue May 19, 2015 2:16 pm

TurboTailz wrote:
ChaosJam wrote:Am I being blunt? Yes because I feel I need to. Am I being rude? I'm really trying not to be but these types of topics have become a growing trend on this board that is getting out of control. The whole Sonic/Sally thing has been beaten to death over and over and seeing these types of posts is probably the reason Ian has dropped it for now. Just like him, I am getting tired of it too, but that's my opinion. The whole "will they/won't they" thing got me burnt out to the point where I was glad to see her and Monkey Khan enter a possible relationship during the Iron Dominion arch. Finally someone was doing something different besides a love triangle. A break is much needed at this point while the new universe settles.

Also read the board rules, avoid double posting.

Really? redundant protagonist love interests threads made Ian dropped the concept temporary or was it something else? I mean if you was a writer you should expect potential protagonist love interests threads as a hot topic especially if it's been going on for a while like Lois x Clark, Lina x Gourry and many more similar to that. However you can say Penders did put a deep wound on Sonic x Sally many of times and the slap was pretty much a shot in those characters faces and fans. That was out of Sally's character just like reboot Fiona. That crap did hurt a lot of fans and probably drove many to be disinterest in Sonic comics. I think what many Sonally fans want..well I know I do is a stable relationship between the two and it doesn't have to be much romance. Of course there's Amy as the love triangle rival and there's no escape from that, but Ian handle that concept pretty well.

As for the OP well I already know the outcome that end of World's Unite concept won't happen because it doesn't fit the theme. He can post whatever he wants and if it gets out of hand then the mods will attack.

Ian has said numerous times here and other places that he was getting really tired of the "shipping wars" that surrounded the Sonic/Sally relationship. Going one way or the other with the couple would just cause more criticism that he felt took away from the main narrative. People would be more concerned of splitting hairs over "Sonally" than what was actually happening in the book.
I didn't mean to say that multiple board threads brought him to his decision, the overall war over who Sonic should end up with did. And it hasn't been dropped completely, just taking a break so the new universe can be built. To me, it's not important and I have been around since SatAM episodes were new. I have enjoyed the ride but I am more interested in exploring other avenues with the characters. If Ian thinks Sonic should go on another date with Sally next year or something I will trust his judgement. I'm just saying I can see the unappealing side of constantly coming back to THAT relationship.

MarioandSonic999 wrote:I made the topic because it was just a speculation for "Sonic" fans for whether Sonic and Sally would be in love again or not. And it doesn't have to do with Ken Penders, either. Either I know, it would be fan fiction for a topic like that...

Then you certainly weren't clear in that, at least to me. And I apologize if I seemed rude. I interpreted your comments as if you were certain Worlds Unite would suddenly give us "Sonally" back or that more votes on your poll would suddenly change Ian's plans which I felt was wrong to put out there because some people could take that as truth.

Again, I apologize for being rude and blunt and misinterpreting your comments.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby MarioandSonic999 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:22 pm

ChaosJam wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:
ChaosJam wrote:Am I being blunt? Yes because I feel I need to. Am I being rude? I'm really trying not to be but these types of topics have become a growing trend on this board that is getting out of control. The whole Sonic/Sally thing has been beaten to death over and over and seeing these types of posts is probably the reason Ian has dropped it for now. Just like him, I am getting tired of it too, but that's my opinion. The whole "will they/won't they" thing got me burnt out to the point where I was glad to see her and Monkey Khan enter a possible relationship during the Iron Dominion arch. Finally someone was doing something different besides a love triangle. A break is much needed at this point while the new universe settles.

Also read the board rules, avoid double posting.

Really? redundant protagonist love interests threads made Ian dropped the concept temporary or was it something else? I mean if you was a writer you should expect potential protagonist love interests threads as a hot topic especially if it's been going on for a while like Lois x Clark, Lina x Gourry and many more similar to that. However you can say Penders did put a deep wound on Sonic x Sally many of times and the slap was pretty much a shot in those characters faces and fans. That was out of Sally's character just like reboot Fiona. That crap did hurt a lot of fans and probably drove many to be disinterest in Sonic comics. I think what many Sonally fans want..well I know I do is a stable relationship between the two and it doesn't have to be much romance. Of course there's Amy as the love triangle rival and there's no escape from that, but Ian handle that concept pretty well.

As for the OP well I already know the outcome that end of World's Unite concept won't happen because it doesn't fit the theme. He can post whatever he wants and if it gets out of hand then the mods will attack.

Ian has said numerous times here and other places that he was getting really tired of the "shipping wars" that surrounded the Sonic/Sally relationship. Going one way or the other with the couple would just cause more criticism that he felt took away from the main narrative. People would be more concerned of splitting hairs over "Sonally" than what was actually happening in the book.
I didn't mean to say that multiple board threads brought him to his decision, the overall war over who Sonic should end up with did. And it hasn't been dropped completely, just taking a break so the new universe can be built. To me, it's not important and I have been around since SatAM episodes were new. I have enjoyed the ride but I am more interested in exploring other avenues with the characters. If Ian thinks Sonic should go on another date with Sally next year or something I will trust his judgement. I'm just saying I can see the unappealing side of constantly coming back to THAT relationship.

Then you certainly weren't clear in that, at least to me. And I apologize if I seemed rude. I interpreted your comments as if you were certain Worlds Unite would suddenly give us "Sonally" back or that more votes on your poll would suddenly change Ian's plans which I felt was wrong to put out there because some people could take that as truth.

Again, I apologize for being rude and blunt and misinterpreting your comments.
You're fine, and I understand your interpretation on what you said.
MarioandSonic999
BumbleFan

Postby TurboTailz » Tue May 19, 2015 7:48 pm

ChaosJam wrote:I didn't mean to say that multiple board threads brought him to his decision, the overall war over who Sonic should end up with did. And it hasn't been dropped completely, just taking a break so the new universe can be built. To me, it's not important and I have been around since SatAM episodes were new. I have enjoyed the ride but I am more interested in exploring other avenues with the characters. If Ian thinks Sonic should go on another date with Sally next year or something I will trust his judgement. I'm just saying I can see the unappealing side of constantly coming back to THAT relationship.

You don't have to tell me this stuff because I'm aware of it. I just said I hope they can have a stable relationship and being exposed to Ian's work I know it can be handled well. If it happens that's good because it won't be complicated like it was during Penders era.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Tue May 19, 2015 10:13 pm

It's amazing how so many people didn't like the couple Sonally according to the polls, and it's sad really. I knew romance can cause drama, but there can be ways to do it without such drama. I mean, SatAM showed that they could have a relationship without such drama. It also sucks that Sonally will most likely stay dead due to mandates and Ian being tired of the shipping wars. What do so many people hate about Sonally?
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby MarioandSonic999 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:23 pm

NiTROACTiVE wrote:It's amazing how so many people didn't like the couple Sonally according to the polls, and it's sad really. I knew romance can cause drama, but there can be ways to do it without such drama. I mean, SatAM showed that they could have a relationship without such drama. It also sucks that Sonally will most likely stay dead due to mandates and Ian being tired of the shipping wars. What do so many people hate about Sonally?

Have no idea, but SEGA didn't like about romantic relationships like that... But, you're right about that though!
MarioandSonic999
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue May 19, 2015 10:41 pm

I don't hate Sonally though I'm more of a Sonouge (And Sonadow...and I'm starting to like Salamy) fan myself.

I just don't think the book needs to be plagued with romantic subplots again.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby MarioandSonic999 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:45 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I don't hate Sonally though I'm more of a Sonouge (And Sonadow...and I'm starting to like Salamy) fan myself.

Neither I don't hate Sonally, because Sally is cute and hot. In fact, it would be more beautiful if Tracy Yardley made a romantic moment with the couple for goodness sake!
MarioandSonic999
BumbleFan

Postby TurboTailz » Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 pm

NiTROACTiVE wrote:[color=#008000]I mean, SatAM showed that they could have a relationship without such drama./color]

Nailed it. The show had action, a little bit of romance and the love triangle rival which wasn't much of a big deal because it wasn't the main focus of the story.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I don't hate Sonally though I'm more of a Sonouge (And Sonadow...and I'm starting to like Salamy) fan myself.

If it's done right it won't be plagued and keep it simple.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed May 20, 2015 12:32 am

Sigh, this poll didn't asked as if we WANT Sonally back, but if we EXPECT them go get together. Which has zero chance for nearest future.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed May 20, 2015 4:10 am

Back in the days of Penders and Bollers there was just too much romance and love triangle nonsense. Their interpretation of Sonic was not a Sonic I would like to see return - a Sonic overly preoccupied with love issues and/or trying to keep a girlfriend - a Sonic less about 'gotta go fast' and more about staying still and being tied down. Ian's Sonic at least marries up somewhat with the Sonic I know from the games - an easy-going super-fast heroic-type that tries his darnedest to keep his friends out of trouble and Robotnik's mischief to a minimum.

Uwaaii wrote:I actually cringe at the word "Sonally" because it reminds me of all the intense shipping and love drama by the writers that glorify unhealthy relationships (yes, I know it was a long time ago). I'm not against Sonally itself as long as it’s not the main focus and keep the flirting to a certain level. IDK how they're gonna deal with Amy on that tho, because her being OK with Sally and Sonic being together is really weird.

I'm not a fan of referring to couples via portmanteaus/name fusions either. The Amy component is a tricky one - I don't know how Sally feels about Amy or vice-versa - I don't know if in this new universe that either of them has even had prior relationships/history with Sonic. These things are all very vague/untouched in this new universe.

As of the moment - if anything romance-oriented does happen - I actually see Sonic and Amy becoming 'an item' long before Sonic and Sally were to even go there (again? - I don't know if the Genesis Wave erased any memory of past relationships).
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Wed May 20, 2015 4:18 am

It did. It wiped every memory, so the stuff they have now is stuff that developed in the new reality prior to the point we started to see it. So Sonic and Sally have never even been a couple once, which means it wouldn't be them getting back together.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DC » Wed May 20, 2015 5:42 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again I just don't see Sonic as the relationship type. I see him more as the "Quick Fling no emotional attachment" Type personally.

Sonic just kinda dives headfirst into everything I don't really see that as the kind of guy who settles down with one person.

"No emotional attachment" doesn't sound like good trait to me. One thing is liking freedom, other thinking "I don't need close ones, they would slow me down".... and now I think about Sonic Heroes or Sonic Boom.

Exactly, it makes him seem like a cold person, selfish, and not honorable. Sega needs to drop this mandate(it is unacceptable) and let Sonic and Sally be a permanent couple. At their best, Sonic and Sally just seem right together. Nitroactive is right, it is sad that more fans don't like Sonic and Sally as a couple and that the relationship drama probably did turn some fans against them.
DC
BumbleKnight

Postby DaddlerTheDalek » Wed May 20, 2015 2:55 pm

I don't mind Sonally. But even if it's coming back, Ian is going to tone it down. The Romance would be very subtle.
DaddlerTheDalek
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius