Sonic Old Vs New: Replacements

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Old Vs New: Replacements

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:30 pm

I think he can still flirt, basically? "Play the field," as it were, as in "nothing serious"?

Fonzie did have the one long-term later on, but not so much otherwise...?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The Jazzyman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:43 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:
Penguin God wrote:He's gotten angry, sad, startled and many things all the time. The reboot's only failing there is there haven't been a lot of stories that punch Sonic in the gut lately, and that's not really a failing.

The telling moment for me is in the World's Unite Prelude "Into the Unknown". Ifrit appears for no apparent reason and, rather than wonder why it showed up or what's going on, or being even the slightest bit worried about Apotos's safety, he puts on the boring games' too-cool-for-school attitude of "Aw yeah, this'll be fun!" Also, after Silver closes the portal, Sonic falls and asks Silver to catch him. In the old continuity, he would've panicked at least a little bit. But he doesn't here. He's totally calm.

You may argue such things stay true to Sonic's "real" character, but that argument doesn't hold water when Sonic's real character sucks.

I fully agree with this statement. Sonic's game personality sucks.

btw, Sonic has been shown plenty of times to be able to survive massive falls. In that case I don't mind him not getting worried there. However, it is just reckless that he didn't have a shred of worry for the city before when the attack was happening.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
BlazeHeatnix wrote:
Mordum wrote:Well, I mean, unless someone liked game Sonic over Archie Sonic.

As far as adult fans go at least, I can probably count the amount of people who do on one hand.

Personally I find almost nothing different between modern game Sonic and Comics Sonic.

Nothing different? Maybe after the reboot, but thats what the argument going on right now is about. Before the reboot, comic sonic showed a large array of emotions. I don't think that there was one time in the games that Sonic felt any other emotions other than his generic happy mascot attitude.

Spin wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I get the feeling that SEGA wants The Fonz as their mascot.

Funny considering Sonic isn't allowed to get with the ladies.

(hearty laughter) funny that. I don't want a repeat of this:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/arc ... 0405041841

but I still don't think that he shouldn't be allowed to have a gf.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I think he can still flirt, basically? "Play the field," as it were, as in "nothing serious"?

Fonzie did have the one long-term later on, but not so much otherwise...?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

His dynamic with Breezie is the best.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 am

Personally I prefer flirty Sonic to serious relationship drama bomb Sonic.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Penguin God » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:The telling moment for me is in the World's Unite Prelude "Into the Unknown". Ifrit appears for no apparent reason and, rather than wonder why it showed up or what's going on, or being even the slightest bit worried about Apotos's safety, he puts on the boring games' too-cool-for-school attitude of "Aw yeah, this'll be fun!" Also, after Silver closes the portal, Sonic falls and asks Silver to catch him. In the old continuity, he would've panicked at least a little bit. But he doesn't here. He's totally calm.

You may argue such things stay true to Sonic's "real" character, but that argument doesn't hold water when Sonic's real character sucks.

That's... the strangest example ever. Both of those are completely true to Sonic's character in just about every iteration, even the ones that only had a half-decent understanding of him. Of course he put on the attitude, that's literally what he's always done when faced with a big menacing beastie without much of its own personality. Why would he panic from falling in the old continuity? He threw himself off airships and walked on airplanes all the time. You're not just pining for a Sonic characterization that wasn't there, but one that runs completely counter to the personality and philosophy the character was built around. It sounds like you just want Antoine.
Again, reboot!Sonic is almost 100% the same character as he has been for the entire modern run (and that character is very close to Games!Sonic, which I do prefer for actually having a consistent at-least-slightly-interesting character.) Just because the stories lately haven't been "blow up Sonic's friend, turn his team into traitors and get rid of the largest source of fun he's ever had" don't mean he's a one-note nobody. Heck, the Werehog story of Sonic struggling to release control because of his love for his personal freedom actually challenged his worldview, had him go berserk out of anger and he's been shown to be as down about it as he's been about other subjects. But suddenly all that doesn't count because he's actually having fun on his adventures sometimes?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby AlphatheAlpaca » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:42 pm

I've been wondering about a certain beloved character that could be reincarnated as an already existing character...

Spoiler: show
Could Jet the Hawk be the new Scourge the Hedgehog? Besides the hole green-body blue-eyes, Jet has already been a rival to Sonic and could be more antagonistic in the new world. Plus, the Babylon Rogues can kinda replace the Destructix.

You know, much how Gemerl is the new Shard but not really.
AlphatheAlpaca
BumbleNewbie

Postby Penguin God » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:30 am

Jet the Hawk could be the new Jet the Hawk, in much the same way Gemerl is the new Gemerl. People can draw whatever parallels they want.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Yeah, Jet can only go so far in being the same sort of rival Scourge was. By Scourge's very nature, there's sort of a wall that Jet just can't surpass.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The Jazzyman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:22 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Yeah, Jet can only go so far in being the same sort of rival Scourge was. By Scourge's very nature, there's sort of a wall that Jet just can't surpass.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I REALLY hate Jet. He just annoys me.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby DabigRG » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:30 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Yeah, Jet can only go so far in being the same sort of rival Scourge was. By Scourge's very nature, there's sort of a wall that Jet just can't surpass.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

You mean accosting anything with long eyelashes, considering hassling eleven-year-old Amy(according to TvTropes, anyway), trying to beat up hospitalized people, mutilating his friends, and overall being a conceited, sadistic psychopath?
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:37 am

DabigRG wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

You mean accosting anything with long eyelashes, considering hassling eleven-year-old Amy(according to TvTropes, anyway), trying to beat up hospitalized people, mutilating his friends, and overall being a conceited, sadistic psychopath?

I just meant in that Scourge actually is Sonic.

*coughs*

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Uwaaii » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:44 am

Jet is a thief and an annoying jerk, but he isn't completely evil. He likes to race fair and square, and did help Sonic save the world. He's just another rival character for Sonic like Shadow but in extreme gear racing. If you want to put Jet in Scourge’s place he’ll need to be more cruel and dangerous, wreaking havoc and putting people’s life in danger with malicious intent or enjoyment.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 am

DabigRG wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Geez, doesn't anyone read the manual anymore? In the games, possibly since Sonic Adventure, she's been 12 and in the comics pre-reboot she was apparently 14.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:44 am

Because that makes it better, sure.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 am

Meliden wrote:Because that makes it better, sure.

This. 11 or 12, she'd still be considered a minor.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius