STH#272 Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#272 Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Morgil » Mon May 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Got the issue today. Pretty good. Now i can finally go back and reread the last few StH and SU issues and the FCBD book in the proper order as i wait for the crossover to start in a few weeks.
Morgil
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 am

Betz! wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Mordum wrote:Or G1.

Does that make the reboot G2 or Beast Wars?

G2 was G1vwith a different intro. It's Beast Wars for sure!

actually G2 was a hilariously gritty comic series
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue May 19, 2015 12:55 am

Mordum wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:Eh, I don't know. I'm not saying that Reboot Knuckles is worse or be better than...Legends Knuckles (I don't like calling them pre and post, I'll borrow Star Wars vocabulary)

"Legends" as a term existed because the EU wasn't purged so much as the slate was cleaned, and certain EU concepts could be reintroduced when convenient or preferable. They're called Legends because the EU was rendered the ACTUAL definition of legendary - could be true, could not be true, and it's to be seen if those concepts surface.

Not really appropriate for pre-Worlds Collide Archie Sonic, considering post-Worlds Collide was made out of completely new plans. Flynn didn't try to preserve planned plot points to be adapted to a new form, he scrapped entirely and started over.

I'd even hesitate to use the word "apocryphal", considering that acknowledging this dimensional warp was one of the biggest plot elements of the first reboot story: the previous universe clearly HAPPENED, it's considered an event that shapes up what Archie considers canonical. And it's not like rewriting the history of a universe means what happens prior to the rewrite isn't canonical, because that history had to exist for the canonical rewriting to happen in the first place. So everything pre-reboot, if you're REALLY true to the logic of your terms, is still completely canonical. It's just treated in a manner that modern nerdom defines as apocryphal (or "non-canon", because for some reason the word apocrypha never seems to ever crop up).

Either way, "Legends", while I guess I couldn't really stop you from using it, is probably not really something that makes sense. Star Wars and Sonic's continuities weren't really altered in nearly the same way. It just seems arbitrary and confusing to call it the branding from something else.

The obvious solution is "Preboot."

Fine by me, Preboot and Reboot. We just need to hope that we won't ever have another reboot. :P
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Tue May 19, 2015 9:19 am

+Evan Stanley!
+Evan Stanley!
+Plot Development!
+Dark Gia Smashing!
+Exposition!
+Knuckles & Amy Team combo!
+Ship Teasing!
+That Antoine gag!
+Antoine action!
+Bunnie action!
+Werehog!
+Evan Stanley!

-Not too big on James Fry. Too messy.
-Too much recap.
-Action was brief and fell towards the end.

=That Off Panel sounded real racy if you catch my drift :wink:
Last edited by Azul on Tue May 19, 2015 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Tue May 19, 2015 10:31 am

oh right, I forgot one of the things I thought was nice about this issue: for all the people complaining that the reboot Freedom Fighters have no personality or conflicts, this issue displays that Antoine and Sonic still have a lot of their SatAM rivalry
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby NicTheWeasel » Wed May 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Okay, so...SSSM#14, StH#272, and SU#75, right? Does FCBD go before SSSM? And Spark of Life is after Champions, but before #272, right?

And this next part may sound like a stupid question, but...is SSSM#14 out yet? I'm subscribed, but the release schedule has seemed slightly less than predictable and shipping has been a little erratic for me (and once I had to e-mail Archie because I didn't get the issue at all.) So is out yet?
NicTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Wed May 20, 2015 4:34 pm

SSSM#14 = FCBD. If you have the latter, you don't need the former. Spark of Life appears to overlap with SCO#006 and StH#272, but they're all before SU#75. Champions is first, yeah.

And SSSM#14 still isn't out yet. It was apparently due out as early as late March.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 pm

I loved everything in this issue except for 1 thing: James Fry's art. I mean, I think it would have been better to just have Evan be the artist on this one. Or if they really needed 2 artist, there could have been plenty of other choices. I'm sorry, but his sonic artstyle just makes me cringe.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby ReifuTD » Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm

I pick this issue up, haven't read it yet, but I would like to point out that quality if the cover paper seemed to have been up. When I touch the I noticed it felt really smooth and a little stiffer or thinker. I really like how it makes the book feel. One of those things I wanted to say because it's something I don't thing people would point out normally.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed May 20, 2015 9:58 pm

yeah I noticed that too
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby ReifuTD » Thu May 21, 2015 8:18 am

So, I remember those keys from the games, Are there any plot specific about each key or just something you get for beating a stage or what ever. I'm asking because...

Spoiler: show
This would be a great chance to use looking for the keys to do a Night of the Werehog adapt.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby akessel92 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:43 am

ReifuTD wrote:So, I remember those keys from the games, Are there any plot specific about each key or just something you get for beating a stage or what ever. I'm asking because...

Spoiler: show
This would be a great chance to use looking for the keys to do a Night of the Werehog adapt.

It's beating a stage kind of thing.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu May 28, 2015 4:24 am

I suppose this issue was necessary for introducing all the stuff about the Gaia Temples and Moon/Sun Keys, but it felt a lot like a 'filler' issue.

Evan Stanley's pencil work was good for the back 10 pages - I can definitely sense the transition between pencillers mid-way. Colours were very vibrant throughout.

I appreciate that Antoine was harking back to his SatAM roots with his: "Zat is good./Zat is bad." dialogue, but it really didn't do a whole lot for me. I'd err on the side of avoiding referencing back that far just for cheap laughs. Antoine's and Bunnie's role in the comic seems to have been underplayed a lot of late, now that they're married they feel somewhat redundant in the main story. I can't say I really like Bunnie's current design - it feels like her robot arm has been compromised for the sake of that wedding ring. Nice sentiment perhaps, but at the expense of a robot arm that actually looks like a robot arm?

Bunnie was one of my favourite characters because of her hybrid/cyborg nature. I really hope we haven't lost that because of the need to work around her relationship concerns.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 28, 2015 11:51 am

DoNotDelete wrote:I appreciate that Antoine was harking back to his SatAM roots with his: "Zat is good./Zat is bad." dialogue, but it really didn't do a whole lot for me. I'd err on the side of avoiding referencing back that far just for cheap laughs.

That was not a reference to anything. It was just a funny moment with Antoine.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu May 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:
DoNotDelete wrote:I appreciate that Antoine was harking back to his SatAM roots with his: "Zat is good./Zat is bad." dialogue, but it really didn't do a whole lot for me. I'd err on the side of avoiding referencing back that far just for cheap laughs.

That was not a reference to anything. It was just a funny moment with Antoine.

While not a reference to anything in particular I couldn't help but think of the "The Doll holds a terrible Curse." "Oh, That's Bad." "But you get a free Frogurt." "That's Good" "The Frogurt is also Cursed." "That's Bad." bit from The Simpsons.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius