Could an Open World Sonic Game Work?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Could an Open World Sonic Game Work?

Postby BlueStreak » Mon May 11, 2015 11:42 pm

This is something I've been thinking about after watching what Zelda for Wii U is supposed to be.

In my half-baked mind, this game I guess would essentially be Boom but without all the bugs plus more open areas where you can still run at fast speeds to keep the feel of a Sonic game. It would take a lot of effort and a lot of things would have to go right, but I think it could maybe work.
BlueStreak
BumbleFan

Re: Could an Open World Sonic Game Work?

Postby Penguin God » Tue May 12, 2015 1:32 am

Wouldn't an open-world Sonic game just be a 3D platformer with really big stages? Not that I'm opposed, but I'm not quite sure how "open-world" and "platformer" intersect. Either you have defined goals to get to ala SM64, or you have some sort of collect-a-thon gameplay like Banjo Kazooie, and neither of those are really open-world games.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 am

Sonic Jam was sort of open-world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs-iBAeNZKk
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Gonzo » Tue May 12, 2015 5:22 am

With all the traveling Sonic's said to do, an open-world game would be a great way to demonstrate that without immediate need for a crisis that he just happens to be in the vicinity of.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue May 12, 2015 7:09 am

Penguin God wrote: Not that I'm opposed, but I'm not quite sure how "open-world" and "platformer" intersect.

Same though. If it would look like Flickies Island, then I'm not sure if it's such a good idea.

If anything, any future HUB should be made like this; where you can run fast and terrain allow you to run fast. Maybe some hidden treasures or rings. (Then again, it's arguable if HUBs are needed at all)
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue May 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Penguin God wrote:Wouldn't an open-world Sonic game just be a 3D platformer with really big stages? Not that I'm opposed, but I'm not quite sure how "open-world" and "platformer" intersect. Either you have defined goals to get to ala SM64, or you have some sort of collect-a-thon gameplay like Banjo Kazooie, and neither of those are really open-world games.

Super Mario 64 was sort of open-world-ish, in that you had the freedom -- to a degree, not unlike GTA anyway -- to go where you want, when you want, and tackle a set of goals in the order you wish. Even after choosing a mission in the first world, you don't have to see that one through first-- many other stars are available to you, though certain other ones (Koopa the Quick, for example) aren't accessible until certain conditions are met.

But if you want to go to the island in the sky? Sure! 100 coins? Go for it! And so forth. Or after getting the first star, you can go check out other areas and come back later to do what's left.

Now, take that idea and blow it up HUGE, to something that can take advantage of Sonic's speed, where more elements directly interact with one another. Maybe you race an Eggman robot to the top of a mountain in a boss battle, and destroying it reveals that the mountain was really an inactive volcano, with the explosion causing a lava flow. Then you have to race to divert the lava away from the city, and when it hardens, it forms a path past a barricade to reach another zone you couldn't reach before.

Stuff like that, along with side missions and things. This guy wants to battle, this guy wants to race... oh, now both want to take you on at once.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby OncleSam » Tue May 12, 2015 5:08 pm

I think this should have been spoilered ... 8)
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Tue May 12, 2015 5:44 pm

The problem with making an open world game for our iconic hedgehog is the same problem that him a hard introduction into the 3-D games in general...

His Speed.

You need to give the player control over Sonic and feel like you're playing Sonic, and not say a race car, or a rocket without stabilizers. Speed is easy to do, but control becomes very hard as a result. Putting Sonic in an open world environment makes this VERY difficult. Sonic Generations is one of the better examples of Sonic in a 3-D world, but the game had to put him on a sort of "rail" to prevent him from decorating the walls with his face. Sonic Adventure had a bit more control over Sonic's direction, but it was very unwieldy.

Now is it impossible to integrate Sonic into open world? I'd say certainly not... but it's certainly not easy.

To be fair though... I've never even touched Sonic Boom or Lost World
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue May 12, 2015 8:36 pm

OncleSam wrote:I think this should have been spoilered ... 8)

Not unless Ian's a game developer now...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Tahtorak » Wed May 13, 2015 12:31 am

Weren't the treasure hunter (Knuckles/Rouge) stages in Sonic Adventure 2 open world-ish?
Tahtorak
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed May 13, 2015 3:22 am

Tahtorak wrote:Weren't the treasure hunter (Knuckles/Rouge) stages in Sonic Adventure 2 open world-ish?

True, but Knuckles can glide and climb walls, that allows him to get pretty much anywhere. Sonic would heave to find other way (springs, parkour, etc) that would feel natural.

And that brings other question: Knuclkes gameplay was about looking for stuff. Do we want game with Sonic doing that? Open world would definitely be better than "Shadow the Hedgehog" tedious missions on lined path, but I remember Sonic Labyrinth and Flickies Islands. Would better controls and 3D make those games fun? (even Knuckles stage aren't as fun as Sonic typical gameplay)
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Gonzo » Wed May 13, 2015 5:07 am

Labyrinth and 3D Blast were non-linear but not really "open-world" as the term is used nowadays.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Wed May 13, 2015 1:01 pm

So basically, a next gen Sonic Adventure with a substantially bigger environment. I say heck yeah it'd work! It won't be easy but anything worth striving for is difficult. My main question would be if Sonic Team even has a map for Sonic's world in the first place though. The places in the games don't have specified locations.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby BlueStreak » Wed May 13, 2015 1:09 pm

I should clarify, when I say open world, I mean legit open world i.e. no magic mirrors, paintings, gaia gates that act as load times. Also, you'd control Sonic the same way the entire time, not like in Unleashed where Sonic is limited in the hub world.
BlueStreak
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:19 pm

I can only see it working well in a huge vast empty environment. Think Shadows of the Collosus or the vast stretches of nothingness in Borderlands 2. Even then, it would be incredibly hard to pull off well and to maintain that sense of fun speed.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius