Old Continuity Unanswered Questions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Old Continuity Unanswered Questions

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon May 11, 2015 4:08 pm

The Shadow Emperor wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:4 NO ONE CARES. Seriously, it doesn't matter. It wasn't hinted that it's someone important, as far we know they were normal folks.

This was completely uncalled for.

FIne, I stand corrected. You guys care and I was wrong.

Which doesn't change the fact that I don't understand this fascinations. Sonic parents are normal folks, Tails parent are just people, pretty much everyone who isn't royalty/guardian had normal parents. Why special fascination with people who don't really exist (from real world point of view).

I mean, Avarar Aang/ Gravity Falls/ My little Pony/ Over the Garden. Great show, we know nothing about main hero's parents. From main villains I don't know Shrreder's parents (TMNT), nor Vlad Plasmus (Danny Phantom), Vilgax (Ben 10) or Vivi Argost (Secret Saturdays), and I never heard people asking for it.

Sure, it may turn out that they some very important figures, but until Flynn says so, they were just our average joes.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Mon May 11, 2015 5:20 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Which doesn't change the fact that I don't understand this fascinations. Sonic parents are normal folks, Tails parent are just people, pretty much everyone who isn't royalty/guardian had normal parents. Why special fascination with people who don't really exist (from real world point of view).

If you aren't interested in nitpicky discussions and heated arguments about every minute detail of Sonic characters' lives, then buddy you've joined the wrong forum.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:I mean, Avarar Aang/ Gravity Falls/ My little Pony/ Over the Garden. Great show, we know nothing about main hero's parents. From main villains I don't know Shrreder's parents (TMNT), nor Vlad Plasmus (Danny Phantom), Vilgax (Ben 10) or Vivi Argost (Secret Saturdays), and I never heard people asking for it.

Avatar had parents for most of the main cast, and Aang had a father figure as well. As did Korra in the sequel series. It all depends on the individual narrative. Sometimes it does seem rather superfluous, but other times knowing about a character's upbringing is crucial to understanding their motivations and personality. And Eggman I'd argue is in the latter category.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Sure, it may turn out that they some very important figures, but until Flynn says so, they were just our average joes.

Dude. It's called speculation. Like I said, you're on the wrong forum if you're not into that sort of thing. No need to rain on everyone else's parade.

Ian did a fantastic job with the parents in the old continuity. Sonic's parents admittedly didn't have much of a role, but Jules' character and his interactions with Scourge made him a favorite in the eyes of many fans. Amadeus and Rosemary Prower were brought out of obscurity, were the driving force behind the House of Cards arc, and the latter became a regular member on the Council. Knuckles' father was given a heroic sacrifice and character arc, and his mother went from unimportant background echidna to Matriarch of Albion. Maximillian Acorn's gradual decline from king to senile old man clinging to the past was an unexpected and sad twist for someone we'd known since the early issues. And Espio's mother was introduced without her character being irrevocably tied to that of her son, as so many previous Sonic writers were apt to do rather blatantly.

Point is, if anyone can write parents and relatives well, it's Ian.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon May 11, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm not a fan of the parents myself but I do admit some look at Eggman's childhood could have been neat. There was the "They always loved Colin more" during his ramblings that could have been interesting.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby OlSkratte » Mon May 11, 2015 11:41 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I'm not a fan of the parents myself but I do admit some look at Eggman's childhood could have been neat. There was the "They always loved Colin more" during his ramblings that could have been interesting.

From that sentence alone I just assume his parents had more in common with Colin. I do want to see his childhood, though. I imagine eggman as a young man would look just hilarious. Then again, he was originally a caricature of teddy roosevelt and, say...
OlSkratte
BumbleNewbie

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue May 12, 2015 2:18 am

Okay, okay, I didn't meant to offend anyway anyone, I just wrongly assumed that other people shared my opinion.

I still feel that it isn't "Unanswered Questions", because comics never asked that question. But whatever, let's agree on disagreeing.

But don't tell me that "I joint the wrong forum", I'm here less than two months and made 12 topics and almost 100 posts, I think I do contribute a little.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:38 am

You know, I've got an old children's chapter book around here somewhere from the early 90's. In it, it shows Uncle Chuck raising Sonic, and he adopts a young Robotnik. Robotnik keeps creating robots out of tractors and refridgerators, etc. He used them for mean pranks and such and even attacked Uncle Chuck. Uncle Chuck punished him and Robotnik ran away, feeling utterly betrayed (even though he was a little punk) he embraced his mean side, and decided to take over the world. Obviously not canon to any main continuity, but a fun piece of Sonic trivia.

In terms of the actual comic's canon, I imagine Robotnik's parents were cold and distant, shunning little Julian while showering Colin with affection. Likely, they had simialr personalities to Collin, who was for all intents and purposes a cruel person based on his treatment of Snively. So Robotnik's parents were likely cold, distant, and casually cruel, but not maliciously so. I imagine them to be the type of people who would leave their kids at a gas station and not realize it for half an hour, and stop for coffee first on the way back to pick them up.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Tue May 12, 2015 2:02 pm

When a disagreement over a pre-reboot curiosity gets ugly...

With regards to the original questions, I pose the following speculation:

1. With regards to Charlemagne, I am curious as to whether Ian had any plans in that direction. Assuming that he was still alive and didn't get caught up in one violent incident or another that took place after the Great War, I imagine he's either living off by himself somewhere in disgrace or possibly went to the United Federation and took up residence under an assumed name or something like that. I toyed with a plot idea for a while that he actually became a G.U.N. scientist/higher up-which had nothing to do with the fact that nu252 Snively became that-and might have set out on a scheme to somehow get revenge on the Mobians.

2. Assuming that the question is how Sonic didn't get corrupted by the hex like Knuckles did, my guess is along the lines of what's already been said-Sonic's strange "purifying aura" that was never fully explained before the reboot. Of course, I suppose the question might have been a reference to the fact that Locke subsequently perished upon drawing on the Master Emerald's power, but he was intentionally giving his life to break Finitevus' hex and, let's face it, wasn't Sonic.

3. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Battle Lord tried to eliminate Bean for some offense or another-I kinda figured he might have felt threatened by the fact that Bomb could conjure up bombs with greater proficiency than he could (based on the fact that the Battle Lord could do that sort of thing in Tails Adventure). I would have liked to have seen that carried on, along with maybe how Bark and Bean met. I suppose it's still possible we could see some exploration of it in the new reality-assuming Sega hasn't put the kibosh on Bean and the Rogues being associated with the Armada.

4. Robotnik's parents in the old reality were Ivo Kintobor and Bertha Robotnik-Kintobor; Gerald Robotnik was his maternal grandfather. As was mentioned we know little about them-the Encyclopedia didn't even specify whether they were deceased. Personally, I can understand the desire for more information, as Eggman, upon rejecting his birth name, adopted his mother's surname and his father's given name to assume his new identity, Ivo Robotnik. I imagine that he might have taken the Robotnik name out of respect for his grandfather Gerald, but if he truly despised the name Kintobor it makes you wonder why he would take on his father's first name as his own. Maybe he wanted his use of the name to eclipse that of his father, maybe he actually did love and respect his father despite abandoning their shared family name, maybe he wanted to remind himself of the "injustices" committed against him in his youth...we'll never know, unless Ian is planning on clarifying that in Lost Hedgehog Tales.

5. The "Father" plotline was never expanded upon before the reboot-all we know is that he apparently raised a group of orphans that evidently included Vector, Bill, and Barby. I would also gather that he was deceased by the time of Knuckles: The Return given that Barby told Vector "Dad would be proud"-the past tense makes me think he's gone, but I suppose it's possible they lost track of him. I thought it would be cool if he was a Tasmanian Tiger-that species somehow surviving or returning following the Xorda attack-but we have no information to suggest what kind of Mobian he was, or if he was even a Mobian at all.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Tue May 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:You know, I've got an old children's chapter book around here somewhere from the early 90's. In it, it shows Uncle Chuck raising Sonic, and he adopts a young Robotnik. Robotnik keeps creating robots out of tractors and refridgerators, etc. He used them for mean pranks and such and even attacked Uncle Chuck. Uncle Chuck punished him and Robotnik ran away, feeling utterly betrayed (even though he was a little punk) he embraced his mean side, and decided to take over the world. Obviously not canon to any main continuity, but a fun piece of Sonic trivia.

That's a story from the original Sonic Miniseries #3. It was reprinted in Beginnings, but that wasn't until the 2000s...really curious about that now. Do you have it on hand?

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:3. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Battle Lord tried to eliminate Bean for some offense or another-I kinda figured he might have felt threatened by the fact that Bomb could conjure up bombs with greater proficiency than he could (based on the fact that the Battle Lord could do that sort of thing in Tails Adventure). I would have liked to have seen that carried on, along with maybe how Bark and Bean met. I suppose it's still possible we could see some exploration of it in the new reality-assuming Sega hasn't put the kibosh on Bean and the Rogues being associated with the Armada.

Jet and Wave speculate about Bean having been "taken out" in TTT, and the Encyclopedia hints at the Battle Lord having powers similar to that of Bean. I found it odd we never saw him doing anything like that in the comic, but I'm perfectly fine with the mountaintop-crushing brute Tracy made him. :P
The Shadow Emperor

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Those are some great speculations Spectre! In regards to points 3 and 4, I submit the following:

The first time the desertion of the Battle Bird Armada was a conversation between Bean and Predator Hawk (if I recall correctly). I hoenstly cannot remember which issue it was in, but it went something along the lines of:
Bean (taunting Predator): Explosions for the Armada desserter!
Predator: You're one to talk!
This seems to imply that Bean also desserted the Armada, rather than being kicked out. Although I could be reading far too much into it.

As for Robotnik...

I recall in early days he was called "Dr. Robotnik of House Ivo." A house name is almost always the last name of the family rather than the given name. Should we regard the house title as a retcon in this case? Or perhaps Ivo's parents took his given name from their old house name, perhaps dissolved?

Shadow Emporer:

Here's the specific book I am talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-The-Hedgeho ... 8HMSBVBRFT. Although it must be a reprinting by a different company, because I had this book well before 1998. I would estimate I had it in 1994, if I am remembering which grade I was in correctly.

EDIT: Further googling reveals that it was first published in 1993. It also had pictures of Robotnik and his robots, some hurting Uncle Chuck. Also, the roboticizer just turned Mobians into zombies, rather than actual robots. I have the book buried in my basement somewhere (unless my girlfreind threw it away during our big cleanout last year). I'll look for it and see if I can provide photos of some of the illustrations.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby The Swordsman » Tue May 12, 2015 3:00 pm

I actually own the book, another weird thing about it besides Julian and Sonic living together in their youth is that Dr. Robotnik's robotizer doesn't turn people into robots just hypnotizes them according to the illustrations.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue May 12, 2015 6:04 pm

The Shadow Emperor wrote:
Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:3. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Battle Lord tried to eliminate Bean for some offense or another-I kinda figured he might have felt threatened by the fact that Bomb could conjure up bombs with greater proficiency than he could (based on the fact that the Battle Lord could do that sort of thing in Tails Adventure). I would have liked to have seen that carried on, along with maybe how Bark and Bean met. I suppose it's still possible we could see some exploration of it in the new reality-assuming Sega hasn't put the kibosh on Bean and the Rogues being associated with the Armada.

Jet and Wave speculate about Bean having been "taken out" in TTT, and the Encyclopedia hints at the Battle Lord having powers similar to that of Bean. I found it odd we never saw him doing anything like that in the comic, but I'm perfectly fine with the mountaintop-crushing brute Tracy made him. :P

That could probably be brought back in the new canon. Bean's still a Goofy Lunatic and Barks still a silent bruiser who's to say the old continuities "All Birds belong to the Battle Bird Armada" idea couldn't be used?

Also Battle Lord being a force of destruction should be kept also.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Tue May 12, 2015 6:06 pm

...Wait, wouldn't the fact that species-specific factions don't exist any more rule out the idea of all birds belonging to the Armada?

I mean, okay, it's not species specific so much as class specific, but it still runs off the same idea of prejudice on the animal level.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed May 13, 2015 6:12 am

Meliden wrote:...Wait, wouldn't the fact that species-specific factions don't exist any more rule out the idea of all birds belonging to the Armada?

I mean, okay, it's not species specific so much as class specific, but it still runs off the same idea of prejudice on the animal level.

Well they are a video game concept, so...
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:25 am

There's also aparently a troll civilization filled presumably with trolls.

Another unanswered question from the old continuity is how the Iron King obtained his invulnerability. It's likely to do chaos-based, as Mogul seemingly had the same powers and bestowed a weaker version of them onto Mighty and Simian. but the Iron King's was much stronger. It makes me wonder where he obtained his power, as he presumably had it in his youth with he first met Regina.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed May 13, 2015 10:44 am

I suppose a lot of the things I'd like to know would be covered by 'The Lost Hedgehog Tales', but I would like to know what Ian intended to do with Shard (before he was written out/killed off by a SEGA mandate) and how Mecha Sally was to be returned to normal if it was not for the Genesis Wave.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius