AoStH in Archie: Who's next?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: AoStH in Archie: Who's next?

Postby Gonzo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:44 pm

The KKM wrote:Bates once said they had some fun imagining after a convention how to bring the StC characters in, but it's really out of their hands entirely. If Ian's considered using characters from the UK comic, it's just been a waste of time- they're not SEGA's to use.

Unless of course someone's working on that, which is really really doubtful.

Would UK copyright law not allow Archie to just ask Lew Stringer permission to use Tekno (same for the other StC contributors and their characters)?

Mordum wrote:They're not AoSTH exactly, but since we're talking outside media I still wish the Metarex were adapted into other things.

Same here; if directly importing them is out of the question due to copyright conundrums, I'd at least like to see a decent expy. There's gotta be something in the SEGAverse that Ian could use for that purpose.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:38 am

Gonzo wrote:
The KKM wrote:Bates once said they had some fun imagining after a convention how to bring the StC characters in, but it's really out of their hands entirely. If Ian's considered using characters from the UK comic, it's just been a waste of time- they're not SEGA's to use.

Unless of course someone's working on that, which is really really doubtful.

Would UK copyright law not allow Archie to just ask Lew Stringer permission to use Tekno (same for the other StC contributors and their characters)?

It would, but the question is

1. SEGA'd likely have to be the ones negotiating, or Archie through them
2. The legal situation's never actually been clarified- all the creators assumed they own their stuff since there was no contract and that's how the law works, but you could always risk Egmont deciding to jump in screaming
3. It'd have to be a full-on passing of the rights 100%, not a licensing, otherwise what's the point if they're going to have to run all their stuff not just through SEGA but three additional licensors
4. And for them to full-out give their rights to SEGA, they'd presumably want something in return, at which point the logical answer is "we're actually doing fine without these characters"
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:44 am

Ah; bummer. :/ I really wish there weren't so many legal hurdles to contend with (in general, not just with StC-related things).

Something actually AoStH-related (I apologize if it was already mentioned): not a character, but would elements of the show's visual style (in regards to the landscape, which at times was like if the Special Zone subsumed Mobius and became the "normal" world) be worth importing?
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:26 am

The STC legal woes reminds me of an interesting subject I was thinking of earlier today: the difference between Nintendo and Sega and ownership of their material. It's now legendary how many things associated with the Sonic brand Sega doesn't own (obvious pre-reboot Archie stuff, the Fleetway concepts, Knuckles' hat from the OVA, Decoe and Bocoe from Sonic X (side-side note, given TMS owns Decoe and Bocoe presumably, what does that mean for licensing out Sonic X? Like the Archie comic, was Sega in the right to license that out to a third party? is it particular characters from X?), whatever's causing problems with the X-treme material, Anton Nicky and the rest of the manga cast), while I specifically know the anecdote about Nintendo acquiring some Super Mario adult videos produced so as to remove them from circulation and not taint the brand. I don't know what evidence is there one way or the other about Nintendo and ownership beyond that though (I know Square owns the cast of Super Mario RPG, but that's not something Nintendo has any power to change, I'm curious if Nintendo owns the kremlings though, it's weird how they're avoiding them in the recent DKC games). Given TLSC, it'd be interesting to note if Nintendo would go out of their way to acquire things to maintain their brands while Sega lets characters introduced in their material be used in unaffiliated material.

As for the actual topic, given enough tinkering I wouldn't mind any AOSTH be added to the comic, but Capt. Memo and Lt. Bananas are still my easy favorites. They're just so fun to watch.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:44 am

Do we actually know they don't own Decoe and Bocoe, though? Actually, correct that- they obviously own Decoe and Bocoe, they own TMS itself and did even before Sonic X! :V

X-Treme, unless something appeared Senn didn't know about, is perfectly owned by SEGA, and it's likely they just don't want that particular can of worms reopened officially, even if only via the comic.

Considering Amy and Charmy, I've also my doubts they don't own the Manga cast.

It's better to assume the opposite, they own most of the material made for licensing, with some odd exceptions- StC due to Fleetway's use of freelancers, Archie due to either no contracts or the contracts burning in a fire, and OVA due to possibly negotiating with an external studio in a position of lower power- who did the OVA, again? Studio Pierrot?
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:38 am

Studio Pierrot made it, the production company was General Entertainment...who filed for bankruptcy a few years ago.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:11 am

there, maybe that's what happened, knuckles' hat was lost in bankrupcy :V
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Polish Pete » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:13 am

Meliden wrote:Studio Pierrot made it, the production company was General Entertainment...who filed for bankruptcy a few years ago.

I think the current owner of the OVA (as well as probably the exclusive characters - Sara, the President, Old Man Owl and Knuckles' hat) is Bandai. At least in Japan.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:33 am

The KKM wrote:Do we actually know they don't own Decoe and Bocoe, though? Actually, correct that- they obviously own Decoe and Bocoe, they own TMS itself and did even before Sonic X! :V

Sega owns TMS? I honestly didn't know that. Neat.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:28 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
The KKM wrote:Do we actually know they don't own Decoe and Bocoe, though? Actually, correct that- they obviously own Decoe and Bocoe, they own TMS itself and did even before Sonic X! :V

Sega owns TMS? I honestly didn't know that. Neat.

Yeah. I was wrong though, they only bought TMS in 2005- I thought it had been earlier as IIRC TMS did stuff for Segagaga.

They also own Madhouse, incidentally.

EDIT: Or, did? Seems Nippon TV bought all the Index shares of Madhouse. Wires crossed here. Point is, TMS did Sonic X, SEGA owns TMS, SEGA owns Sonic X even if there were contractual messes as to whom owns what characters.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:42 pm

I also had no idea that Sega owned TMS and Madhouse, surprising considering their financial difficulties honestly, but cool nonetheless.

So that definitely means they own everything related to Sonic X, good to know everything related to that is still on the table, legally speaking at least (though obviously Sega still wouldn't let that happen).

I really would like to see the manga rights explored for that same reason with Amy and Charmy. Ian cited legal issues but Sega using characters from it definitely suggests it would be more an issue of being told no rather than not being accessible (though I honestly doubt Ian's asked about them).

To try and cover more stuff, who published the adventure books released in England? The one that has characters like Zonik? Are they owned by some publisher or would those also be now owned by Sega? Would Corocoro own Dash and Spin, or does Sega? I have no idea what precedent is set by Corocoro's other comics. I know Pierrot did the OVA and Toei did the animations for Sonic CD, do we know who did Man of the Year?

*I totally hijacked this topic, sorry*
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Fantail did the Adventure books and the Stay Sonic lorebook. The novels are by Virgin. Man of the Year I'd wager TMS, by animation style at the very least.

About the first two, short of mailing the publishers, got no idea who owns the rights.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Wait, if Sega own Sonic X, then why they didn't put Decoe and Bocoe on this picture?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:56 pm

That's down to Jon, I thought? Or was that image actually done for the comic?

Regardless, they don't want Sonic X referenced again. I've my theories as to why that is, but it's not to do with legalities, by all counts.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:10 pm

I wonder if knowing how well Sonic X did overseas would change their minds (assuming it's a "tanked in Japan" issue)?
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius