Sally's species

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sally's species

Postby akessel92 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:08 am

TurboTailz wrote:Speaking of species can Sally even have a mother in this continuity??

That is a good question. I think like ant's parents, they can be acknowledged that they did live at one point but their names are never mentioned because of legal reasons. I wish penders never made Sally's mom and ant's dad
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Xeric » Mon May 04, 2015 8:55 am

akessel92 wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:Speaking of species can Sally even have a mother in this continuity??

That is a good question. I think like ant's parents, they can be acknowledged that they did live at one point but their names are never mentioned because of legal reasons. I wish penders never made Sally's mom and ant's dad

That can't possibly be true since we've already been introduced to Rotor's new father. Plus, Ian's said everyone will have new parents in one way or the other.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon May 04, 2015 9:25 am

I can say with absolute certainty Penders didn't invent the concept of Parents. So I'm pretty sure Sally could have a new Mom the same as Rotor has a new Dad and Antoine had new parents.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby jazzflower92 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:18 pm

I think in this rebooted universe Sally's mother will be confirmed as being deceased. The reason why because after Alicia came out of her coma she kind of just became a background character with little to no impact on the story.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Morgil » Mon May 04, 2015 4:51 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:I think in this rebooted universe Sally's mother will be confirmed as being deceased. The reason why because after Alicia came out of her coma she kind of just became a background character with little to no impact on the story.

But who's to say Ian can't bring her (or another, different mother) back into the new continuity and have her not be a background character and actually do stuff.
Morgil
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Mon May 04, 2015 4:53 pm

King Acorn is already a clear bit-character, I doubt we're going to deal with the monarchy's politics all that much.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby OlSkratte » Mon May 04, 2015 5:30 pm

yeah, honestly, all the parents and family members cluttering up the comics in the past were one of my least favorite things about the old universe. Sonic and Tails' parents, especially. I'm not terribly excited about the idea of adding more clutter when the comic finally did itself a favor and got rid of a lot of it. If they were added to enrich the story, awesome, excellent, but otherwise?
OlSkratte
BumbleNewbie

Postby SamCyberCat » Tue May 05, 2015 7:00 am

OlSkratte wrote:yeah, honestly, all the parents and family members cluttering up the comics in the past were one of my least favorite things about the old universe. Sonic and Tails' parents, especially. I'm not terribly excited about the idea of adding more clutter when the comic finally did itself a favor and got rid of a lot of it. If they were added to enrich the story, awesome, excellent, but otherwise?

This sums up my feeling on the matter entirely. If a new parent character can add to the story then awesome, bring that on. But if they're going to just become part of the background like they were in the old universe, then I'd rather live without. And since the comic is called "Sonic" we wouldn't have much room to give them loads of focus outside of if they joined the Freedom Fighters maybe. For Sally's mother specifically, I'd just rather we didn't bother. We've already had a lot of background details about Sally's past in the previous universe and I'm much more interested in seeing what Sally's doing now. Having only one shown relative (Max) means we have more space to develop their bond than we would do with more relatives added into the mix.

As for the topic's main question, Ray being related to Max isn't something I've considered before now. I'm not ruling it out, but even for an obscure SEGA character like Ray I'm not sure the comic would risk getting too deep into his family background these days. I think any similarities in their designs may just come from them both being squirrels.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby The Jazzyman » Tue May 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Penguin God wrote:King Acorn is already a clear bit-character, I doubt we're going to deal with the monarchy's politics all that much.

Awww... unlike most I actually enjoyed the politics. It added a bit of sophistication to the comic.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby OlSkratte » Tue May 05, 2015 11:09 pm

The Jazzyman wrote:
Penguin God wrote:King Acorn is already a clear bit-character, I doubt we're going to deal with the monarchy's politics all that much.

Awww... unlike most I actually enjoyed the politics. It added a bit of sophistication to the comic.

Well, perhaps once Naugus pops back up we'll get more of that (him being the court wizard has to add some kind of layer). I hope so, anyway! Also I just want more Naugus, I was REALLY beginning to actually like him prior to the reboot. That issue where he helped take down that giant metal sonic was just aces. And now he even has his tail back!
OlSkratte
BumbleNewbie

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed May 06, 2015 4:53 am

Naugus is somewhat of an oddity for me. I was never really convinced he belonged in the old universe, much less so the new one.

Meliden wrote:The non-relation is far more clear if you look at Ray's game appearance.

Club tail, not squirrel tail.

You can also see the membranes he uses for gliding coming off from his arms and down his side.

I've always considered Ray to be a flying squirrel - something which is a whole breed apart from Sally's plain-old-squirrel species-type. That Sally has a much shorter tail than her father is something I've generally put down to male/female differences within the same species.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 am

Here's the thinking, at least from what I remember on my end:

Ray is a flying squirrel. I'm pretty sure that was stated in SegaSonic Arcade, and if not there isn't a lot of room for debate. Ray's tail got a more generic squirrel twirl to it in later designs in the comic to further sell the point. Granted, flying squirrels don't really seem to curl their tails like that, but then again the Sonic cast hasn't really been true to their base animals since the beginning. (I'm looking at you, beak-less Knuckles)

Anyway, with the reboot, I wanted the game designs to be reflected in the mobians of the world. Since Ray is the only squirrel template to build from, King Acorn was based off of that. Since he's just a regular squirrel, he doesn't have Ray's patagium (skin flaps).
(you could argue Ricky could be used as a basis too, I suppose)

We kept King Acorn a squirrel to preserve the modicum of logic in his association with Sally. Squirrels and chipmunks are usually thought of as within the same family, at least in the same biome, so having the different species thing is weird but not entirely off-putting. If we'd taken him back to his SatAM design roots, where he's maybe a fox(?), that'd cause more questions.

But no, Ray and King Acorn are not long-lost family. Sally is King Acorn's biological daughter.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Pengi » Wed May 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Ray is a flying squirrel. I'm pretty sure that was stated in SegaSonic Arcade

Yes, in the credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzsdBMg8eOA&t=15m13s
Pengi
BumbleCitizen

Postby TurboTailz » Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Pengi wrote:
Ian Flynn wrote:Ray is a flying squirrel. I'm pretty sure that was stated in SegaSonic Arcade

Off Topic: Wasn't there another Sonic Arcade game with other players that had Mighty in it?
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 06, 2015 8:20 pm

TurboTailz wrote:
Pengi wrote:

Off Topic: Wasn't there another Sonic Arcade game with other players that had Mighty in it?

Unless I'm missing something obscure, Mighty's only been in two game: SegaSonic Arcade (with Sonic and Ray), and Knuckles' Chaotix.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius