Sally's species

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sally's species

Postby mckimson » Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 pm

I’m researching on what Ray the Squirrel is. Only to find something quite not sure to me. I have one unsettling question that I shouldn’t post here but since I want to hear from you guys , I’d like to risk being insulted.
NewMax2.jpg
RayNew.jpg
RayOld.jpg

I starting my new project to find out when Ray’s birthday is. Nowhere to be found and I knew that. Then some images and ideas pop up in my head. Doesn’t Ray look a lot like redesign King Max? I mean he doesn’t look like Ray , he look the same as Ray with beard and big eyebrow , we ignore the one-eye-two-eye-thing , alright?. Considering his tail which is twist in lollipop like similar to big pad as Ray’s. Also King Max and Ray are squirrel , since Ray still have no background story or evidence of origin at all , beyond that , I don’t remember seeing King Max meet Ray even once , can it be that Ray is somehow relate to House of Acorn. Will Archie is going to surprise me? whatever I don’t try to raise any theory here but it worth a penny just drop the bomb … :D (hearty laughter)
SallySatAM.png
SallyOld.jpg
SallyNew.jpg
NewMax1.jpg
kingMaxSatAM.jpg

Get to the point why I start posting something again. While I’m searching data in MobiusWikia , I found that King Max is squirrel , so is Ray. But considering in design patterns , I found that both New King Max and Sally look not similar , she has tiny tail. Even then compare to very old one in SatAM , King Max look like a fox. But visual could deceive , right? Until I found that Sally is a Chipmonk! (REF : http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sally_Acorn ) Wait!! Her father is a squirrel and she’s a chipmonk? I always thought of them same species through all this time but Sally and Max is not the same species. At this point , I try browsing more to get this.

Chipmunks and squirrels, to most of us, would appear to be almost identical. In fact, there are no doubt some out there who think they are the same creature, and simply have two names. Kind of like how you can call a dog a “hound” and you’re not wrong. But while chipmunks and squirrels are similar, they are in fact two different species. Chipmunks are smaller and burrow underground to nest, while larger squirrels will live on the ground or in trees.

(REF : http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/01/06/the ... chipmunks/)

This proved that they are not relate as we know it. Then I go for the mother , Alicia Acorn , who obviously is chipmonk as MobiusWikia say , then Alicia really relate to Sally somehow. Scientifically , different species couldn’t crossbreed , so King Max and Alicia can’t give birth to children. If what I suspect is true , this will go for Elias too. And here we go!! These mean we talk about two missing character , Elias’ real mother and Sally’s real father. But if they insist on advanced genetic engineering then I’m doomed here. Or if the story go with neglecting these facts then I’m still OK with that. Did you guys spot any crossbreed in the comic?

Feel free to comment and don’t kill me , I’m a curious one. :o

So………….. IS SALLY NOT KING MAX DAUGHTER?
mckimson
BumbleNewbie

Re: Sally's species

Postby akessel92 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:51 pm

They're fictional animals and cross breeding can occur since it has a hedgehog who can run at the speed of sound and a two tailed can fly with his tails and don't get me started on knux and the rest. So sally is still a chipmunk but has a few characteristics from her dad (I.e. Her red hair and also they have the same irises)
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Sun May 03, 2015 8:53 pm

Different species can have children together in Sonic. Her father is a squirrel, and her mother is a chipmunk (I would assume that's still true anyway.) Ray's not a ground squirrel, he's a flying squirrel, so they're not entirely the same.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby OlSkratte » Sun May 03, 2015 9:02 pm

I don't think Ray can have familial connections, he's a SEGA character. So, definitely not related to the Acorns. All SEGA characters were birthed from the dust of the earth through wizard magic.
OlSkratte
BumbleNewbie

Postby Penguin God » Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Ray and Mighty are old and obscure enough that the family mandate didn't apply to them. Matilda was still around, and still explicitly called Mighty's sister, for years after the mandate started.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Sun May 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Speaking of species can Sally even have a mother in this continuity??
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun May 03, 2015 9:36 pm

OlSkratte wrote:I don't think Ray can have familial connections, he's a SEGA character. So, definitely not related to the Acorns. All SEGA characters were birthed from the dust of the earth through wizard magic.

Except Cream.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby akessel92 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:39 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
OlSkratte wrote:I don't think Ray can have familial connections, he's a SEGA character. So, definitely not related to the Acorns. All SEGA characters were birthed from the dust of the earth through wizard magic.

Except Cream.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

And shadow was born in a test tube and Eggman had a dad and mom since he does have a grandpa if you think about it.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun May 03, 2015 9:50 pm

akessel92 wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:

Except Cream.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

And shadow was born in a test tube and Eggman had a dad and mom since he does have a grandpa if you think about it.

Nah, Eggman had to be a dirtbaby, too. Totally adopted.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Matt7325 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:03 pm

I remember when we first saw the new Max there was some speculation that Ray would now be part of the Royal Family. Completely impractical but I still reckon it'd be kinda cool.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby ReifuTD » Sun May 03, 2015 11:04 pm

Here's a dark thought, what if Sally's tail is docked, I mean technically a chipmunk has a tail a long as any species of squirrel. In history many cultures does body modification really drastic stuff is often done when they are infants or children.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby diamonddeath » Sun May 03, 2015 11:38 pm

Just as the Yagyu Clan bats had a different design from Rouge, and Mighty had a different design from Arlo, so too can other animals. Animals can differ in appearance in the real world too based on region, genus/species (I mix those up), etc. In the case of Ray, Sally, and King Acorn, Ray is a flying squirrel, Sally is a chipmunk, and King Acorn is a squirrel. Sally might be a squirrel now in the reboot, but her being a chipmunk comes from her mother, and I believe it was stated as such by both Ian and the printed encyclopedia. If Sally did become a squirrel, then she would simply be a squirrel with a shorter tail- a trait passed down from either her mother or an ancestor.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Uwaaii » Mon May 04, 2015 12:03 am

There’s only one official Sonic game character that’s a crossbreed and that’s Fang the Sniper/Nack the Weasel. He’s a mix between wolf and weasel in the ENG version, or wolf and jerboa (mouse?) in the JP version. Unless SEGA changed the rules after his last appearance in-game I think it’s OK to have characters with mixed species as long as they don’t try making bizarre chimeras.

And I can’t really see the similarity but if King Acorn and Ray does look related that’s a good thing because at least he looks like a squirrel. King Acorn and Elias before the reboot looked like a fox which made me mistaken either Sally was a Squirrel/fox hybrid or Elias was her step-brother. What’s bothering me more is that Rosie looks a lot like Sally when she’s apparently a woodchuck.

I just looked up Sally and while the archiewiki describe Sally as a chipmunk and King Acorn a squirrel, the other wiki calls her a ground squirrel and her father is a squirrel. Is there a reason Sally isn't categorized as chipmunk/squirrel hybrid? Because I think it will confuse some people.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Mon May 04, 2015 12:08 am

Ground squirrels are just another name for chipmunks (and several other creatures). They probably just wanted to make the connection more obvious.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Mon May 04, 2015 3:36 am

The non-relation is far more clear if you look at Ray's game appearance.

Club tail, not squirrel tail.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius