Shadow comics - possible?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Here's the problem with Shadow: We know his backstory, all the mysteries are solved. Anything else that has to do with Shadow's past will be a retread. "Look, there was another thing on the ARK!"

The only thing a Shadow Comic could do is step into uncharted territory. Anyone writing a Shadow Comic needs to figure out something new for him to deal with, which is very Penders-like, and could be dangerous. The comic would have to go into the workings of the United Federation (which might be interesting), but Ian might be leery of doing too much there, in case Sega decides to drag them out of the hole (by that I mean, the place where they shove all the lore and backstory that the games dont' care to ever touch anymore.If you got a better name for it, let me know)
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mordum » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
The only thing a Shadow Comic could do is step into uncharted territory.


Archie Horror series plz.

Sega would never go for it, but hot dang it'd be awesome. I'm still half tempted to write a treatment even if I'd never get anywhere near Archie or Sega's doors in my lifetime.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mikail » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Here's the problem with Shadow: We know his backstory, all the mysteries are solved. Anything else that has to do with Shadow's past will be a retread. "Look, there was another thing on the ARK!"

The only thing a Shadow Comic could do is step into uncharted territory. Anyone writing a Shadow Comic needs to figure out something new for him to deal with, which is very Penders-like, and could be dangerous. The comic would have to go into the workings of the United Federation (which might be interesting), but Ian might be leery of doing too much there, in case Sega decides to drag them out of the hole (by that I mean, the place where they shove all the lore and backstory that the games dont' care to ever touch anymore.If you got a better name for it, let me know)


On that note, I think this is why, oddly enough, Shadow's story was one of the things Sonic 06 did right. His conflict had to do with his past but with his future. The inevitability of G.U.N.s betrayal and the world seeing him as a threat.
User avatar
Mikail
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Babylon 5

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Mikail wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:Here's the problem with Shadow: We know his backstory, all the mysteries are solved. Anything else that has to do with Shadow's past will be a retread. "Look, there was another thing on the ARK!"

The only thing a Shadow Comic could do is step into uncharted territory. Anyone writing a Shadow Comic needs to figure out something new for him to deal with, which is very Penders-like, and could be dangerous. The comic would have to go into the workings of the United Federation (which might be interesting), but Ian might be leery of doing too much there, in case Sega decides to drag them out of the hole (by that I mean, the place where they shove all the lore and backstory that the games dont' care to ever touch anymore.If you got a better name for it, let me know)


On that note, I think this is why, oddly enough, Shadow's story was one of the things Sonic 06 did right. His conflict had to do with his past but with his future. The inevitability of G.U.N.s betrayal and the world seeing him as a threat.

oh yeah, I forgot about that. SUre Shadow made his peace with that (of course, this shadow would have to do that now, since he never did in this timeline), but still, people would turn on him eventually.
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mikail » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:01 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Mikail wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:Here's the problem with Shadow: We know his backstory, all the mysteries are solved. Anything else that has to do with Shadow's past will be a retread. "Look, there was another thing on the ARK!"

The only thing a Shadow Comic could do is step into uncharted territory. Anyone writing a Shadow Comic needs to figure out something new for him to deal with, which is very Penders-like, and could be dangerous. The comic would have to go into the workings of the United Federation (which might be interesting), but Ian might be leery of doing too much there, in case Sega decides to drag them out of the hole (by that I mean, the place where they shove all the lore and backstory that the games dont' care to ever touch anymore.If you got a better name for it, let me know)


On that note, I think this is why, oddly enough, Shadow's story was one of the things Sonic 06 did right. His conflict had to do with his past but with his future. The inevitability of G.U.N.s betrayal and the world seeing him as a threat.

oh yeah, I forgot about that. SUre Shadow made his peace with that (of course, this shadow would have to do that now, since he never did in this timeline), but still, people would turn on him eventually.


And there's your premise. Shadow struggling to keep his promise to protect a world that's against him.
User avatar
Mikail
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Babylon 5

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Arkus0 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:09 am

The idea sounds interesting, but I think one of the reasons Sonic Universe was made was that Archie were aware that a single Character Spin-Off doesn't really work in the long run, hence why its become a Expanded Universe Spin-Off instead so it can cover a variety of characters and stories the Main Book can't.

Btw I've noticed a few posts saying how Shadow lacks a lot of original enemies apart from Eclipse and maybe anymore Black arms. Why is Snively being overlooked? He's obviously up to something in the background, he could be Shadow's own equivalent of Eggman.
User avatar
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:23 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:39 am

Snively? I guess he could do, it's just a question how big role he can play.

My guess is that Snively's going to play good guy for a while and when times is right he will back stab GUN and try to take over. He will fail and either go to jail or escape waiting to return.
But to be constant villain? I think he would be TOO similar to Eggman.
Unless that's a plan. My theory:
Spoiler: show
Julian? Orange moustache? Backstabbing a country? Maybe Flynn plans to make him successor to Robotnik Prime/Satam and let him build SwatBots. That would explain why Eggman not using them.

He definitely couldn't be a main villain, his ties to Shadow are too weak.
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Chameleon Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:47 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Snively? I guess he could do, it's just a question how big role he can play.

My guess is that Snively's going to play good guy for a while and when times is right he will back stab GUN and try to take over. He will fail and either go to jail or escape waiting to return.
But to be constant villain? I think he would be TOO similar to Eggman.
Unless that's a plan. My theory:
Spoiler: show
Julian? Orange moustache? Backstabbing a country? Maybe Flynn plans to make him successor to Robotnik Prime/Satam and let him build SwatBots. That would explain why Eggman not using them.

He definitely couldn't be a main villain, his ties to Shadow are too weak.


Actually... Not only both of them work at GUN, but Snively's plan has something to do with the ARK, as shown in Total Eclipse. And I'm all for that, the characters need more side villains.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 am

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Village » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:48 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:Here's the problem with Shadow: We know his backstory, all the mysteries are solved. Anything else that has to do with Shadow's past will be a retread. "Look, there was another thing on the ARK!"


We don't actually.

We don't know actually, there are a lot of things we actually don't know.

As blue donut steel said in the comic, shadow actually knows nothing of the black arms, Maybe there are more, maybe they are benevolent, maybe they show them what they actually are. Maybe Other alien creatures from colors hate shadow or something because of what he's related to , along with that, we have no idea and this has been discussed many a time if shadow is like full organic. Like did Cranky robotnik , like make his physical form entirely... or was he another... thing before... the ultimate life forming.

Like agree a lot of it should be him doing new things and exporing the world, but to say we know everything is false, heck we don't know a lot of about a lot of characters. And the ones we did got reconnected out of existence, like tail's parents or knuckle's EVERYTHING.

Arkus0 wrote:
Btw I've noticed a few posts saying how Shadow lacks a lot of original enemies apart from Eclipse and maybe anymore Black arms. Why is Snively being overlooked? He's obviously up to something in the background, he could be Shadow's own equivalent of Eggman.

Because he's super lame.


Mikail wrote:And there's your premise. Shadow struggling to keep his promise to protect a world that's against him.

I would pay a few bucks for that.

Shadow discovers a new power or something, can't control it. Puts people in danger, Gun like " Nah son "
Village
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 am

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Vampfox » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 am

Meh. If this was pre reset Shadow I'd be all for him getting his own book. I'm still sad that we'll never see how his friendship with Hope would have progress, but new timeline Shadow is just kind of too boring to have his own book.
User avatar
Vampfox
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:07 am

As I read this thread, I can only think

Bumbleking wants to go from Booom to Shadow
Booom to Shadow
Boom to Shadow
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Chameleon Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:48 am

Vampfox wrote:Meh. If this was pre reset Shadow I'd be all for him getting his own book. I'm still sad that we'll never see how his friendship with Hope would have progress, but new timeline Shadow is just kind of too boring to have his own book.


Honestly that wouldn't have worked. Hope was a replacement for Maria, right? But Shadow's character works around the absence of Maria, if he found a new girl like her, he'd be in peace and he'd be kind of empty. Anyway, he still has friends, Rouge and Omega are there for that reason.

Shadow doesn't need a new sweet girl to be interesting, he just needs more of his own subplots, hopefully something that doesn't have to do with Black Arms again (Eclipse doesn't count though, I like him, he has a personality).
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 am

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mikail » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:52 am

Village wrote:
Mikail wrote:And there's your premise. Shadow struggling to keep his promise to protect a world that's against him.

I would pay a few bucks for that.

Shadow discovers a new power or something, can't control it. Puts people in danger, Gun like " Nah son "


Well I was more thinking that G.U.N. was the one that screwed up and just used Shadow as the fall guy. They'd be like "Yeah, Shadow's tried to destroy the world before. People will believe that." So Shadow ends up on the run with only a few people he can trust to help clear his name. But with the Eggman war and a bunch of other stuff eating up peoples time and efforts, he's more or less on his own.
User avatar
Mikail
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1876
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Babylon 5

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:29 am

Chameleon Guy wrote:
Vampfox wrote:Meh. If this was pre reset Shadow I'd be all for him getting his own book. I'm still sad that we'll never see how his friendship with Hope would have progress, but new timeline Shadow is just kind of too boring to have his own book.


Honestly that wouldn't have worked. Hope was a replacement for Maria, right? But Shadow's character works around the absence of Maria, if he found a new girl like her, he'd be in peace and he'd be kind of empty. Anyway, he still has friends, Rouge and Omega are there for that reason.

Shadow doesn't need a new sweet girl to be interesting, he just needs more of his own subplots, hopefully something that doesn't have to do with Black Arms again (Eclipse doesn't count though, I like him, he has a personality).


Can I just say Shadow and Team Dark were awesome in The Dark Trilogy and their characterization there is what makes me think they could easily handle a monthly title?
User avatar
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Angel Grove, CA

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:45 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:As I read this thread, I can only think

Bumbleking wants to go from Booom to Shadow
Booom to Shadow
Boom to Shadow


I think I know what you're referencing :)
https://soundcloud.com/itsamike/boom-shadow
User avatar
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:02 am
Location: Poland

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron