Shadow comics - possible?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Village » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:35 pm

hog of the future wrote:right now I don't think Shadow has enough of a supporting cast of characters to really support a full series and I'm not sure if a world should be built up for him that doesn't really connect to sonic's world.

If you make him travel team ups will solve that problem. He doesnt need a freedom fighters type team him dealing and interacting with the world is kind of enough. And solves the supprting cast "problem"
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby hog of the future » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Village wrote:
hog of the future wrote:right now I don't think Shadow has enough of a supporting cast of characters to really support a full series and I'm not sure if a world should be built up for him that doesn't really connect to sonic's world.

If you make him travel team ups will solve that problem. He doesnt need a freedom fighters type team him dealing and interacting with the world is kind of enough. And solves the supprting cast "problem"

That sounds a lot like Sonic Universe except with Shadow in every issue. For a new series, you need to do something the other two don't do.
hog of the future
BumbleKnight

Location: "The greatest city in the greatest country in the world" -Bill Smith

Postby Jazzy76 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 pm

IDK, a sole Shadow series would get boring at some point, a good replacement for boom would be a time-share book for SEGAs other video game properties, that way we'd be introduced to fresh new worlds with the characters that time forgot.
Jazzy76
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Archie Horror comic about Shadow the Hedgehog in the style of The Omen.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Village wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:I'd like to see one honestly. I think it'd be cool to see the inner workings of G.U.N and the Human soldiers working relationship with Team Dark.

I think the Military setting could be a good springboard for some really interesting stories.

Nooo.

Keeep him away from that, he could be more interesting interacting with other folk he doesn't normally get interaction with . And gun isn't an interesting concept enough in itself to do anything with besides " DOO MISSION "

Let the other members of team dark do that stuff in their own Sonic universe arcs " things they should have gotten a while ago ". If shadow is getting his own thing, he should stay far FAR away from gun. Like the first issue should be having to be an unofficial member of the freedom fighters, and you don't get any explanation at first and it is revealed later through flash backs. Shadow has proven time and again his best interactions are with those aren't rouge and omega. Because shadow being forced into social situations he kind of has to deal with is interesting, just shadow teams up with " this guy " today. You could also use it to , instead of expanding on gun , expanding on the world itself. Like the colors aliens, it would be interesting, if the colors aliens were frightened or attacked shadow given how horrible the black arms seemed to be.

Edit: to expand on my point while the games, and comics have failed again and again as showing rouge as this " brains " of the operation. Given omega is literally a computer and shadow is actually very intelligent, though back lack great deals of common sense. They could use that opportunity to say maybe, use rouge as way to get into how gun works. Rouge seems like she would be WAY more invested in what gun is doing than shadow is I think it would work to her strengths, maybe there are internal struggles she handles herself. Giving her actual agency.

Shadow should be that guy they call in, like sonic and the FF seem like guys despite having sonic on the team, kind of have a base of operations, and sending people out. Whether the plan is good or bad, as Sally as shown. Shadow? I would like it if they treated him more like contractor... of pain. Rouge just calls him in and thats how he does the gun missions. Heck that could besides shadow being part alien explain the back handed animosity towards shadow himself. " who is this guy, why is he so special. Why is he the ultimate guy? Does he even work here ect?" I think if there were to be a comic this structure would work because shadow could go out and do his own thing and meet new people to annoy him to no end. And when you want to have a fanservice team dark moment, rouge calls, in the order.

But Shadow's an Agent of G.U.N? Why would it be so bad to explore the organization and how they work together?

Also dude it's just you're opinion that Shadow and Team Dark working for G.U.N is uninteresting. Just like it's mine that them being special agents creates an interesting dynamic that could hold it's own book.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mordum » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:30 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Also dude it's just you're opinion that Shadow and Team Dark working for G.U.N is uninteresting.

It's really weird when someone doesn't like something someone says and dismisses it as "just you're opinion", as if that's a meaningful statement.

I'm pretty sure someone speaking knows that already.
Last edited by Mordum on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Village » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:42 pm

hog of the future wrote:
Village wrote:

That sounds a lot like Sonic Universe except with Shadow in every issue. For a new series, you need to do something the other two don't do.

People want shadow, and they would get it? The character all the time is the different thing, and I think would have an interesting perspective if given more to focus on.

He has a perspective unique to who in the new universe, no one shares. Is is essentially an immortal dimigod, and given how his power set keeps expanding even more than that at some point. And that is ... interesting, what shadow is, and thinks about being the thing he is , is interesting to me at least. Him having to do with his alien orgins could carry some book issues by itself imo. But learning to be more.. " mobian " i guess would be interesting. Having to try to care about the problems of people he will die. Questioning the point of a lot of relationships, with people. I think his perspective is an interesting one , one warranting its own book at least for a bit.

i feel this way about a couple other sonic characters. Like tails, I think tails could do something now by himself.

also he could totally play detective, so there is that.
Last edited by Village on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Mordum wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Also dude it's just you're opinion that Shadow and Team Dark working for G.U.N is uninteresting.

It's really weird when someone doesn't like something someone says and dismisses it as "just you're opinion", as if that's a meaningful statement.

I'm pretty sure someone speaking knows that already.

I'm just saying he's talking pretty matter of factly about G.U.N being a dull concept as if that's something everyone thinks.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:21 am

I would actually enjoy a Shadow & The Agents of G.U.N. type of series. Like, we could see Team Dark take on new threats that Sonic & the others haven't met or can't handle them. See some epic battles of G.U.N. vs The Egg Army. Help add more to the worldbuilding. Great character interactions. This could be a doorway to many great possibilities for some exciting stories.

Although, I guess having Ian do 5 books would be kinda pushing it....but we could have Lea or Tracy or even Dub write some stories! or Evan!

And besides, Shadow & the rest of Team Dark don't really have much going on for them lately, beside hunting Eclipse+His Dark Arms &...I asume a minor cameo in WorldS Unite?

A series like this could also bring new allies, enemies, & rivals to the comics. I think so many good things could come from this if given a chance & if it's done wel.

...but what do I know? I'm just a loser.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:38 am

NxtWaltDisney wrote:Although, I guess having Ian do 5 books would be kinda pushing it....but we could have Lea or Tracy or even Dub write some stories! or Evan!

I was actually thinking that Shadow comic could eventually replace Boom, just like Sonic Universe replaced Sonic X.
But even then, Flynn can take it. He makes 4 comics AND this new project of his. He's unstoppable :P (or like you said, we could have other person write this).

Anyway, the reason why Shadow could use his own series is too give more place for others in SU (like Blaze or Knuckles). And look at poor Omega. He will never get his own Sonic Universe, he's not popular enough. But if Shadow had his own series there could be one or two stories focused on the dude.

Besides, look at Shadow before reboot: after his own Sonic Universe he appeared in only one story, Treasure Team Tango. That's almost 50 issues, without Shadow. Team Dark was technically 3rd most important team (after FF and Chaotix), but with Secret FF and teams Freedom/Fighter, there was no place for a dude. And even before issue 200, he didn't really had his own stories. After he joined GUN he just LITERALLY popped into middle of the main arcs, punched one guy few times and disappeared again. To one of the most important game character (4th of 6th, after Sonic, Eggman Tails, maybe Knuckles and Amy) we didn't really had much of him. Silver was doing better or even Chaotix (thanks to Iron Dominion and being glued to Knuckles).

But how would his comics look? GUN would have to stay, that's obvious. That would allow to explore aspect of people fearing him and distrust, add Tower, Amanda and Snively to his cast, plus Sega would demand it. There probably would be some military stuff, but not too much. That's still comics about talking black hedgehog.
But biggest problem is simply lack of villains. Flynn can always add new supporting cast or make Shadow travel, but who would he fight? Black Arms? Mephiles? Biolizard? A military faction that doesn't trust him? He can't fight Eggman, but not too often.

But I guess that's a mood point, seeing most reactions, interest in Shadow comics is mediocre. :|
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby jazzflower92 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:35 am

Not to mention a Shadow comic could become what the Knuckles comics were.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:00 am

'Sonic Universe' is for exploring stories that aren't about Sonic - whether they be about Shadow, Silver, the Chaotix, Eggman or whatever. I think we're beyond giving any one character their own spin-off title.

Archie's 'Sonic X' was... pretty awful. It's one redeeming feature was that it contributed to the creation of 'Sonic Universe'. 'Sonic Universe' was a superb idea that has paid off big time for Archie and has only enhanced the main title. When Archie's 'Sonic Boom' comic goes the way of 'Sonic X' and inevitably keels over and dies I really don't think it'll be rebranded into a third regular Sonic title - I don't think there's a sustainable demand for that much Sonic.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Village » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:32 am

Like gun could be interesting with rouge she's worked there a long while.Before shadow and could give interesting background because she's way more invested in it.As opposed to shadow who's just there because friends and is largely untrusted amd detested by the staff.

This is my opinion, obviously maybe i didn't apparent in previous posts.

I do not think someone like shadow needs to be chained down by gun even on the billing. Shadow is this socially inept immortal super powerful being and by being this has a unique perspective no one else has, i think its silly to keep em at gun.And is popular, dont really need the and anything.

Its a red hood situation, this isnt for shadow really its for everyone else. They wont get that expansion being shadow's back up dancers in his hypothetical book.Because the book is about shadow. It wouldnt be like a sonic book where people would come for other guys.This is a spin off by demand book, people are here for shadow.

Why not use that freed up SU space for rouge and gun?

Again this this is my opinion,if that wasn't clear.

While shadows game was dank one of the interesting about it was seeing hik interact with folk he ussuaaly doesnt.Same with the comics shadow being out of his element makes for fun.

jazzflower92 wrote:Not to mention a Shadow comic could become what the Knuckles comics were.

No that requires...factors.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:04 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:But I guess that's a mood point, seeing most reactions, interest in Shadow comics is mediocre. :|

I don’t think this is the right venue to judge that, this is the forum of comic’s writer so it is filled with people who already like the comic as is, which contain very small doses of Shadow overall to begin with.

What do I think? I started buying these comics because of Shadow Fall. If Shadow got his own comic I would buy a huge pile, pray to Gaia that Good Smile Company would make a Shadow nendoroid, buy it, take it and my gigantic Shadow First 4 figure and bury myself with them in my pile of Shadow comics and die happy.

I really like Mikail idea, I would like to see how Shadow would deal with that.
LordLaharlsVassal
BumbleFan

Postby OlSkratte » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Village wrote:Who?.gif

What does this even mean?? :|

I'd read a series or a miniseries about shadow but only if it involved GUN in some way because I think shadow is too uninteresting of a character to carry a series by himself. I also think that of Silver and Blaze.

But, I would definitely enjoy the world building of expanding to indepth looks into other governments. Espionage, some light political intrigue, space monsters, ancient aliens... It has possibilities. I'm sure it'll pop up in Sonic Universe occasionally like it already has been, but it would be nice to see more of it.

But I still like my idea of a Hooligans spinoff much more U_U Could get more Breezie time there.
OlSkratte
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius