Shadow comics - possible?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Shadow comics - possible?

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Sixth months ago Archie Sonic Boom comics became reality and I got really exited... for it's possible cancellation. Yeah, I' m horrible person :P

Don't get me wrong, comics is too young to be judged and so far it was pretty jumpy in quality (IMO)
However I'm way more interested with possibility that once cartoon end, Archie might decide to replace it with new series, just like it happened with Sonic X and Sonic Universe. And who could possibly held comics on his own, except World's Ultimate Life Form? 8)

So my question to you:

1 Do you think it's even possible?
I'll be optimistic and say yes. Not big, but is.

2 Does anyone else has potential for his own comics?
Problem is that most populars characters (like Tails) are tied attached to Sonic, they can't leave his sight for ever. One SU is fine, but own series?
Back in a day I would say that Knuckles might return. But after reboot... another Sonic Universe series? I got nothing else.
EDIT: OK, maybe this: Since freedom fighters are so big, team will split into two and Tails will lead one (Kinda like Bumblebee in Transformers did this). But that's even less possible than Shadow idea.

3 How would it even work?
That's actually more tricky then it looks like. Shadow has his own cast, but lacks villains (Eclipse aside). And even if had them, how would he separate from Sonic? Knuckles had this excuse that everything happened on Angel Island. Let's say that Black Arms returned once more. Why Sonic wouldn't fight them and why Shadow wouldn't bump (too often) into Eggman?

And of course share our own thoughts on this idea. :)
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Kellox » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm

I can't believe I am saying this but yes.
I think however it should be a 3-issue Mini series.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Chameleon Guy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Kellox wrote:I can't believe I am saying this but yes.

...Then what's the point, if he had Universe arcs that are longer.

I'd say SU is enough for him, though yes, I would like him to appear more since he is important, he could be thrown in the main book sometimes, but another Sonic-related comic? No way people would handle that, maybe if Boom ends...
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm

I'd like to see one honestly. I think it'd be cool to see the inner workings of G.U.N and the Human soldiers working relationship with Team Dark.

I think the Military setting could be a good springboard for some really interesting stories.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Village » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:43 pm

Sure

Just don't do the thing DC did where they had the red hood drag two characters ( starfire and Red Arrow. Rouge and Omega respectively ) , Around. tuns out as they learned later in the run, the edgy guy could actually hold an interesting story by himself. And was only dragging two other characters that could have expansion elsewhere down because they didn't have faith in the edgy guy. Turns out people were buying the comic for the guy on the top of the billing, who knew?

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I'd like to see one honestly. I think it'd be cool to see the inner workings of G.U.N and the Human soldiers working relationship with Team Dark.

I think the Military setting could be a good springboard for some really interesting stories.

Nooo.

Keeep him away from that, he could be more interesting interacting with other folk he doesn't normally get interaction with . And gun isn't an interesting concept enough in itself to do anything with besides " DOO MISSION "

Let the other members of team dark do that stuff in their own Sonic universe arcs " things they should have gotten a while ago ". If shadow is getting his own thing, he should stay far FAR away from gun. Like the first issue should be having to be an unofficial member of the freedom fighters, and you don't get any explanation at first and it is revealed later through flash backs. Shadow has proven time and again his best interactions are with those aren't rouge and omega. Because shadow being forced into social situations he kind of has to deal with is interesting, just shadow teams up with " this guy " today. You could also use it to , instead of expanding on gun , expanding on the world itself. Like the colors aliens, it would be interesting, if the colors aliens were frightened or attacked shadow given how horrible the black arms seemed to be.

Edit: to expand on my point while the games, and comics have failed again and again as showing rouge as this " brains " of the operation. Given omega is literally a computer and shadow is actually very intelligent, though back lack great deals of common sense. They could use that opportunity to say maybe, use rouge as way to get into how gun works. Rouge seems like she would be WAY more invested in what gun is doing than shadow is I think it would work to her strengths, maybe there are internal struggles she handles herself. Giving her actual agency.

Shadow should be that guy they call in, like sonic and the FF seem like guys despite having sonic on the team, kind of have a base of operations, and sending people out. Whether the plan is good or bad, as Sally as shown. Shadow? I would like it if they treated him more like contractor... of pain. Rouge just calls him in and thats how he does the gun missions. Heck that could besides shadow being part alien explain the back handed animosity towards shadow himself. " who is this guy, why is he so special. Why is he the ultimate guy? Does he even work here ect?" I think if there were to be a comic this structure would work because shadow could go out and do his own thing and meet new people to annoy him to no end. And when you want to have a fanservice team dark moment, rouge calls, in the order.
Last edited by Village on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Azul » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Kellox wrote:I can't believe I am saying this but yes.

Realistically, it might be a four issue mini series since that is the status quo for story arcs, but as already stated, there'd be no point. It'd be better of as a Sonic Universe arc.

Now for the meat and potatoes of the post; No, I don't think its possible or necessary. The whole point of Sonic Universe is to focus on characters who aren't Sonic with the main hog himself being a guest star. There's nothing a mini series can't do that can't be done in SU. A Shadow series would probably focus on him working with G.U.N, occaisonally since Shadow is a freelance agent. I'd expect to see plenty of Rouge and Omega, predictbly, as well as the Commander but we'd get and the president. It might cover how G.U.N operates, but G.U.N looks like one of those things that Sonic Team introduces but doesn't have the slightest clue as to what to do with them afterwards i.e every other character made after 2000. The could be the Sonic equivalent version of S.H.I.E.L.D but I doubt they'd capitalize on that. If there's one thing SEGA is consistent with, its wasted potential. And its really doubtful an action/adventure series would work with one villian that only shows up every now and then. And it isn't a Shadow "and G.U.N" series we're talking about. What would Shadow do by himself that can't be don't in SU? Nothing.

As for the whole Freedom Fighter spliting up thing: That would work better if there were a huge group of freedom fighters. I mean on X-Men proportions. We're down to 9 members excluding Cheese and that's enough for rotating focus.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Kellox » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:00 pm

I thought the 3-issue mini series could be a cute nod to the old Sally Tails and Knuckles mini issues :D

No? ..

Okay. :(
*walks away*
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Village » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Azul wrote: And it isn't a Shadow "and G.U.N" series we're talking about. What would Shadow do by himself that can't be don't in SU? Nothing.

I don't think thats why people create separate comic books

Wolverine can slice people no matter what book he's in.

The reason people keep asking for wolverine books now and again is wolverine, same for shadow, tails or whoever. Though I can't imagine the demand is on the same scale, though mike pollock could probably argue that.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Azul » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Village wrote:
Azul wrote: And it isn't a Shadow "and G.U.N" series we're talking about. What would Shadow do by himself that can't be don't in SU? Nothing.

The reason people keep asking for wolverine books now and again is wolverine, same for shadow, tails or whoever. Though I can't imagine the demand is on the same scale, though mike pollock could probably argue that.

I'm interested in hearing what Eggman himself has to say about the matter.

Yeah, I'd believe the demand for a Shadow book is pretty low. And you do raise an interesting point. But I'd really like to know how a seperate book about anyone would really work. And the demand doesn't necessitate the realization. Wolverine is Godly popular and part of like 5 different teams doing different things at the same time. The Marvel Canon, for this and other reasons, is a mess. The Archie canon is not hard to follow at all. Giving someone their own series would just complicate things. SU is already serving its purpose of giving other characters the spotlight.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby OlSkratte » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Personally I'd prefer a book about the bad guys, haha. Much more interesting. Like perhaps focusing around Nack and co. See a side of the world you don't normally see. The seedy (or as seedy as an all ages kids book can get) underbelly. Man that would be fun.
OlSkratte
BumbleNewbie

Postby Village » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:37 pm

OlSkratte wrote:Personally I'd prefer a book about the bad guys, haha. Much more interesting. Like perhaps focusing around Nack and co. See a side of the world you don't normally see. The seedy (or as seedy as an all ages kids book can get) underbelly. Man that would be fun.

Who?.gif

Azul wrote:
Village wrote:

I'm interested in hearing what Eggman himself has to say about the matter.

Yeah, I'd believe the demand for a Shadow book is pretty low. And you do raise an interesting point. But I'd really like to know how a seperate book about anyone would really work. And the demand doesn't necessitate the realization. Wolverine is Godly popular and part of like 5 different teams doing different things at the same time. The Marvel Canon, for this and other reasons, is a mess. The Archie canon is not hard to follow at all. Giving someone their own series would just complicate things. SU is already serving its purpose of giving other characters the spotlight.

I think the demand is low in the context of the comics popularity comparison to the games and xmen. Shadow is still as anyone can tell you is popular as all get out.

As far as demand it kind totally does, him being by himself frees up su stories for people who might not gotten one. Like rouge.

As far as only complicate things that seems to be something you made up in your head. It doesnt have to be complicated at all really.

"Why is the scarlet spider running around and venom flash"
"Because they are cool "

Story complication usually has nothing to do with it. You can choose to not tell that story. You do because you might think it could go a place and there is a demand. Like spider gwen. That didn't need elaboration. People wanted it.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicSoul » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:43 pm

We got SU whenever we want to see what Shadow's doing, don't need to give his own comic for that, even if you're going the limited min-series route. And we already had two arcs in a row to prominently feature him as well, so I think we can afford to see less of him for some time now.

Mega Man X on the other hand....
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby hog of the future » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:54 pm

right now I don't think Shadow has enough of a supporting cast of characters to really support a full series and I'm not sure if a world should be built up for him that doesn't really connect to sonic's world.
hog of the future
BumbleKnight

Location: "The greatest city in the greatest country in the world" -Bill Smith

Postby Mikail » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm

I'd personally love to see a Shadow series, though I'm admittedly biased. Even as a mini series, I'd probably enjoy it (though I'd prefer that mini series be longer than 4 issues, because otherwise why not just make it an SU arc?)
Spoiler: show
How I would start it off is with Shadow dealing with the aftermath of being betrayed by G.U.N. He tries to balance his duty to protect the world with being a wrongly accused outlaw with no one able to clear his name. This would allow him to go beyond the United Federation as a setting and explore the world. Additionally, you can have several one shot stories all tied to the over arching story of Shadow being a fugitive.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby Tango the Hedgehog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Personally I would be all for a Shadow miniseries. As a Shadow fan, I am somewhat disappointed that we don't see him quite as much as the more prominent members of the cast, such as the Freedom Fighters. I know that he doesn't have much of a supporting cast, although a miniseries could be an excellent avenue to build and expand his world, as well as fleshing out the new world even further. I see a very promising lead in Dr. Snively, and it would be interesting to see how he interacts with other characters within G.U.N., such as the commander and soldier comrades. It would give Rouge and Omega a bit more of a spotlight, too, I suppose. I love the idea; I just don't see it happening anytime soon, unfortunately.
Tango the Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius