SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Uwaaii » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:40 am

TheFatPanda wrote:Something that got me wondering was Silver being vague over whether Sonic would succeed in fixing the world. Or why Sonic would even need to ask for that matter.

As we established, the last time we saw Silver in this canon was in Colors where his future was apparently peaceful, which he told Sonic specifically. So with that considered, you'd think Silver would have no reason to be vague about it. If Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't Silver have mentioned back then that the world in his future was a mess? For that matter if Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't that actually give him yet another motive to start meddling in the past again?

I think Silver’s situation is like a game with multiple endings; one action will give you points towards a good ending, one toward a bad ending, and one that is completely harmless/neutral. Some of the choice is obvious, while others are pretty much hard to tell. If Silver knows that a certain action will lead their world to a bad ending, he would certainly try to avoid it. If he doesn't know what the option will lead him, he wouldn't want to risk taking it until he is certain it will not bring any disastrous consequences. Telling Sonic that Silver’s world is peaceful was ok because it wouldn't bring any significant change (Sonic wouldn't really care, and Silver’s from 200 years in the future so even if Sonic failed something may have happened to make it peaceful again). Telling whether or not Sonic will succeed in the close future, which may actually influence Sonic’s actions, is a little more risky.

I really enjoyed this issue, mostly because Silver was less of a jerk (seriously Archie why did you make him like that); I wonder how Silver’s going to interact in future issues because despite giving him a more flexible role the whole “coming from the future” thing is really messy. I just hope we don’t have any too much of the Silver doing something that immediately changes stuff in the future but not effecting Silver thing because it really bothers me, especially when the future civilians “remembers” what Silver apparently did in the fixed future but he doesn't. It’s like he’s excluded from his own world (I know it’s canon through Rivals and stuff but still).
What I do hope to see is more of Silver’s world and stuff; it will be interesting if they include the original idea of everyone in Silver’s world having psychic powers, or at least some of the newer moves he has in Generations like teleportation and energy blades.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:21 am

I honestly don't think the 'shattered world' crisis will be fixed up and forgotten after this crossover - I expect there's still more stuff for the comics to explain/explore with the Gaia Temples and Chip before that actually gets resolved - hence Silver's unwillingness to give Sonic a straight answer. On the other side of this crossover I think the shattered world crisis will get worse before it gets better.

I guess - at the moment - I kind of think of Silver as a kind of 'Professor Paradox' (y'know - the guy from Ben Ten). He's able to witness and perceive changes in space and time without being influenced by those changes himself - but he's only able to influence those changes/anomalies in small ways (like shutting off Genesis Portals). Also he's aware of how making a very small change/saying the wrong thing to a major player like Sonic can have massively significant unforseen consequences - so it's better to say as little as possible and let things play out as they were intended to (some kind of temporal-spacial prime directive?)

I don't know if Sonic or Mega Man will be able to recall what occurred previously - but I don't think it would be beneficial for the two of them to face off again as they did in 'Worlds Collide'. It would serve the story better if they do recall each other/what happened previously - possibly with some prompting from Silver via his superior awareness of such anomalies.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:51 am

DoNotDelete wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Hmm, the above comment makes me wonder... think Genesis Portals might basically be "cracks" in reality from the Genesis Wave(s)?

It would explain the name, at least.

Actually I personally take the 'Genesis' part to be referencing the Sega Genesis - and the Genesis Portals to be some kind of allegorical/metaphorical reference to the 'threshold'/intangible 'bridge' between the Genesis console and the game cartridge, i.e. when the game cartridge is inserted into the console its contents cross over into the console through some intangible (electronic) bridge. By closing the Genesis Portals Silver is actually just ripping game cartridges out of the Genesis system that is - in effect - the master 'hub' where all the action happens.

I'm not trying to imply that all of this is happening in some kind of digital world or Wreck-it-Ralph type situation - it's just an allegorical/metaphorical device.

...and of course not all the games featured in this crossover are/were cartridge based - much less so featured on the Sega Genesis - though most notably Sonic was.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the entire "Genesis" naming concept was a reference to the SEGA Genesis, so that seems to be sort of a given.

TheFatPanda wrote:Something that got me wondering was Silver being vague over whether Sonic would succeed in fixing the world. Or why Sonic would even need to ask for that matter.

As we established, the last time we saw Silver in this canon was in Colors where his future was apparently peaceful, which he told Sonic specifically. So with that considered, you'd think Silver would have no reason to be vague about it. If Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't Silver have mentioned back then that the world in his future was a mess? For that matter if Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't that actually give him yet another motive to start meddling in the past again?

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) Silver said he didn't want to affect the past any more than he had to, and telling Sonic something like that potentially could. What he said was pretty much true, but at the same time, you don't want to go giving someone an idea that success is inevitable because the future says so. That could make someone... sloppy.

2) It might be a "Yes, but..." sort of thing. Yes, they fix the world, but... at what cost?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby N'egga Man » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:52 am

So the only Emerald that the heroes don't have is the blue one, which Eggman has. Just before a major, world-changing event. Again. I'm sensing a pattern here...
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

Postby Betz! » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:14 pm

NegaMetallix wrote:So the only Emerald that the heroes don't have is the blue one, which Eggman has. Just before a major, world-changing event. Again. I'm sensing a pattern here...

Please not this plot again....
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:15 pm

It is pretty much the plot whenever those plot McGuffins are important. Just hopefully won't be repeated again so soon just when the heroes have gathered most of them already.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Scruffy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Hey, I noticed a few people saying that Lost Hex was referred to in a previous issue, and I'm assuming they didn't mean the story in the Halloween Comic Fest special. Can anyone point out which issue it was? I must have missed that bit.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Chameleon Guy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Scruffy wrote:Hey, I noticed a few people saying that Lost Hex was referred to in a previous issue, and I'm assuming they didn't mean the story in the Halloween Comic Fest special. Can anyone point out which issue it was? I must have missed that bit.

In Sonic #270, you can see Lost Hex in a monitor in Eggman's base.

Btw, I'm not sure anymore what game the Genesis Portals are referencing: they work like the warp holes in the last stage of Sonic Rivals (although those just send you in another part of the stage, not in a different dimension), but they also remind me of the portal that sends Classic Sonic and Classic Tails to the Green Hill of the past at the end of Generations, in both cases these portals are violet, so I don't know.

Also, I kinda liked the ending with the Freedom Fighters, it's a cool anniversary homage to Sonic #25 and Sonic #50.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:44 pm

Every time someone brings up the blue Chaos Emerald it makes me think of the Sonic '06 blue emerald time loop.

On another note I honestly think it would be cool to see Princess Elise in the comic.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Polish Pete » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:47 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:Every time someone brings up the blue Chaos Emerald it makes me think of the Sonic '06 blue emerald time loop.

On another note I honestly think it would be cool to see Princess Elise in the comic.

Please, don't.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:05 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:Every time someone brings up the blue Chaos Emerald it makes me think of the Sonic '06 blue emerald time loop.

I like the cut of your jib.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Why not? If only as a representative of Soleanna.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Gonzo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:51 pm

Ian's done wonders with other characters; I don't see why he can't bring in Elise.

Spoiler: show
Even if 06 retconned itself, I think it's sorta implied that Sonic and Elise retained some vague memories of each other? There's quite a bit of storytelling potential to be had there.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Yarcaz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:45 pm

I wonder where silver was where he said that pollen was hunting him down in.
anyone have a clue?
(on page 5 of this discussion i have a spoiler tag where I quoted what silver said about that)
Yarcaz
BumbleFan

Postby Sunwalker » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:38 am

Scruffy wrote:Hey, I noticed a few people saying that Lost Hex was referred to in a previous issue, and I'm assuming they didn't mean the story in the Halloween Comic Fest special. Can anyone point out which issue it was? I must have missed that bit.

It was in Champions, either part two or three. Lost Hex appeared on Eggman's monitor in the background. I don't have the issue with me right now, I might look for the panel tomorrow.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius