SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:16 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Hmm, the above comment makes me wonder... think Genesis Portals might basically be "cracks" in reality from the Genesis Wave(s)?

It would explain the name, at least.

Actually I personally take the 'Genesis' part to be referencing the Sega Genesis - and the Genesis Portals to be some kind of allegorical/metaphorical reference to the 'threshold'/intangible 'bridge' between the Genesis console and the game cartridge, i.e. when the game cartridge is inserted into the console its contents cross over into the console through some intangible (electronic) bridge. By closing the Genesis Portals Silver is actually just ripping game cartridges out of the Genesis system that is - in effect - the master 'hub' where all the action happens.

I'm not trying to imply that all of this is happening in some kind of digital world or Wreck-it-Ralph type situation - it's just an allegorical/metaphorical device.

...and of course not all the games featured in this crossover are/were cartridge based - much less so featured on the Sega Genesis - though most notably Sonic was.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Something that got me wondering was Silver being vague over whether Sonic would succeed in fixing the world. Or why Sonic would even need to ask for that matter.

As we established, the last time we saw Silver in this canon was in Colors where his future was apparently peaceful, which he told Sonic specifically. So with that considered, you'd think Silver would have no reason to be vague about it. If Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't Silver have mentioned back then that the world in his future was a mess? For that matter if Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't that actually give him yet another motive to start meddling in the past again?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Betz! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:45 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Something that got me wondering was Silver being vague over whether Sonic would succeed in fixing the world. Or why Sonic would even need to ask for that matter.

As we established, the last time we saw Silver in this canon was in Colors where his future was apparently peaceful, which he told Sonic specifically. So with that considered, you'd think Silver would have no reason to be vague about it. If Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't Silver have mentioned back then that the world in his future was a mess? For that matter if Sonic didn't succeed wouldn't that actually give him yet another motive to start meddling in the past again?

Colors takes place before unleashed in this continuity.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:53 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Something that got me wondering was Silver being vague over whether Sonic would succeed in fixing the world. Or why Sonic would even need to ask for that matter.

Theoretically, Sonic might have failed but someone else had success after him. But, given SEGA mandates, the most likely scenario is that Sonic did have success.

IMHO the conversation between Silver and Sonic happened for dramatic and emotional purposes.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Betz! wrote:

That doesn't answer my query.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Betz! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:11 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:
Betz! wrote:

What I mean is, since colors takes place before unleashed, it is possible that silver's future is ruined due to the shattered world crisis.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Betz! wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:
Betz! wrote:

What I mean is, since colors takes place before unleashed, it is possible that silver's future is ruined due to the shattered world crisis.

That's what I mean.

Assuming Silver's future is ruined by the shattered world crisis, then his future shouldn't be "peaceful" as of Sonic Colours, because by that point the SWC is set to happen.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Betz! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Betz! on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Betz! wrote:Finally. Someone who speaks English.

Don't be rude.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Betz! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:
Betz! wrote:Finally. Someone who speaks English.

Don't be rude.

No No No... That wasn't what I meant. I meant that we finally understood each other. I could've said that in a better way.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby N'egga Man » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Spoiler: show
After thinking about it myself, I've got at least one theory: Maybe there's a chance that, if Silver didn't come back to close the Genesis Portals, then Sonic and Co. won't actually get around to fixing the planet due to other problems. Say, for example, villains from other worlds crossing over to Sonic's world and causing major disruptions? Hence why Silver is being vague about the whole thing. (Well, that and the whole 'pollute the time-stream' shtick.) I dunno, that's just what I think.

Anyway, I got the issue recently, and it's a fun little adventure. It seemed to go by pretty quickly for me, but that might be due to the fact that, aside from the opening and end, it only really focuses on three characters in a burning wasteland, fighting for a Chaos Emerald. I wasn't really bothered by this issue referencing later/delayed issues (honestly, I already have an idea as to how the Genesis Portal Origin might play out...) because it doesn't really impact this story at all.

I mean, the only events that this issue 'spoils' from these 'previous' issues are that:
1) Silver's back to close these portals that are randomly opening up to other worlds. This is re-established in this issue anyway, just with an added footnote.
2) Rouge apparently tells the heroes where to find the last Chaos Emerald in Sonic #272. It doesn't tell us anything else that happens in that issue, though.

Either way, it didn't ruin my enjoyment for the issue, and I'm curious to find out where Silver and Metal each ended up (I'm sure Eggman will fetch Metal during WU).
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:02 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:That's what I mean.

Assuming Silver's future is ruined by the shattered world crisis, then his future shouldn't be "peaceful" as of Sonic Colours, because by that point the SWC is set to happen.

it could be something like, because the Shattered World Crisis was caused by not ending the Super Genesis Wave cleanly, that it didnt happen in what could be considered an unaltered version of this timeline. you could say this timeline was caused by the SGW, but you could also hypothesize that this timeline already existed as one of the alternate timelines in the pre-SGW, and the SGW simply erased everything but it. and in the process, it altered the future of this one, to being something different to what it was the last time Silver saw Sonic.

granted, I dont think it matters, we're probably just reading too much into it
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Good theory. It also brings up the question of

Spoiler: show
whether Silver is aware of it? Has he timetraveled so much now that he's just completely immune to to all timeline changes no matter who causes it? :P
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:06 am

This milestone issue was great, and it had lots of action. However, does this issue take place before STH #272? Anyways, the chase for the Chaos Emerald was cool. It's crazy how Metal Sonic defeated that G.U.N. unit in such a fast way. Crystal Desert Zone and Burning Ruin Zone were also cool zones. Seeing Silver the Hedgehog again was awesome, as the last time we saw him was STH #251, I think. The whole chase for the emerald was great, and seeing Silver fool Metal Sonic into going in a portal to outer space was clever of him. I also wonder if that blue Chaos Emerald was the same one seen in STH #266-#267? Seeing Sonic tease Amy with a kiss was pretty funny. Also, did Bunnie cut her pony tail in between scenes? I also see they're one Chaos Emerald away from saving the world, so I wonder how it will turn out after the new crossover. Also, it's interesting that Orbot is under control by someone/something, but could Zavok from Sonic Lost World be responsible? The Off-Panel was pretty good too, and I wonder what will happen in act 2? (if there will be an act 2) Either way, good milestone issue.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Tylinos » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:23 am

NiTROACTiVE wrote:I also wonder if that blue Chaos Emerald was the same one seen in STH #266-#267?

It wasn't. That was the dark blue Emerald. This was the cyan Emerald.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius