SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Polish Pete » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:57 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Meliden wrote:Experienced maybe, but he can't be older since he's canonically fixed at 14.

Like ages actually mean anything in the Sonic franchise.

Let's not forget Rouge is 18 and a Super Spy/World Renowned Jewel Thief. Ages are a suggestion more than a hard fact.

If the ages have no meaning for the franchise and nobody from SEGA even cares about them, then what's the point of even making them up? Cause it seemed like a cool idea for the market demographic? Give me a break! I also remember someone from Sonic Team explaining why they redesigned Sonic by comparing him to Mickey Mouse, a timeless character that doesn't have a specific age because it has no relevance. So basically Sonic Team gave their own "Mickey Mouse" a specific age. Again, what's the point?
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Meliden wrote:So the Rivals series didn't happen?

No, they did. From what I recall, Dr. Nega was trying to summon the Ifrit over. The zone you fight it in is an entirely different dimension, not Silver's ruined future. And if I'm missing a step - that Ifrit did ravage Silver's time - they stopped it from happening during the course of the game, so the end result remains the same.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Mikail » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:51 pm

Just read the issue on Google play. Very entertaining. Cool to see Silver and Sonic work together like this. Metal was satisfyingly viscous. Just a fun issue to help prep for the crossover so I can't complain. Also, the Off Panel confirms that Sonic does not comprehend the concept of inflation, (hearty laughter).

That being said, I do have a few questions. When Sonic and Silver got the Chaos Emerald back from Metal, couldn't Sonic just use chaos control to warp back to his world? Is a single chaos emerald not enough to travel across dimensions anymore?

Second, it seems like Metals Burst Shield does the same thing as his Maximum Overdrive without damaging his circuits and leaving him vulnerable. Am I misunderstanding that?
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby DarkEnerjak7 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:45 am

Wait, I don't know why I didn't think about this before, but if Sonic Rivals 1/2 happened then Dr. Nega was supposed to be trapped in the Chaotic Inferno Zone. However, I got the impression from Captain Whisker in PPP that Nega was still in the Sol Zone. Did he escape or do they not know Nega's gone?
DarkEnerjak7
BumbleFan

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:13 am

DarkEnerjak7 wrote:Wait, I don't know why I didn't think about this before, but if Sonic Rivals 1/2 happened then Dr. Nega was supposed to be trapped in the Chaotic Inferno Zone. However, I got the impression from Captain Whisker in PPP that Nega was still in the Sol Zone. Did he escape or do they not know Nega's gone?

He escaped from a card before, it's perfectly feasible that he escaped the Ifrit's Zone as well.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:01 am

Polish Pete wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Meliden wrote:Experienced maybe, but he can't be older since he's canonically fixed at 14.

Like ages actually mean anything in the Sonic franchise.

Let's not forget Rouge is 18 and a Super Spy/World Renowned Jewel Thief. Ages are a suggestion more than a hard fact.

If the ages have no meaning for the franchise and nobody from SEGA even cares about them, then what's the point of even making them up? Cause it seemed like a cool idea for the market demographic? Give me a break! I also remember someone from Sonic Team explaining why they redesigned Sonic by comparing him to Mickey Mouse, a timeless character that doesn't have a specific age because it has no relevance. So basically Sonic Team gave their own "Mickey Mouse" a specific age. Again, what's the point?

Association, most likely. Probably a shorthand for their level of maturity, tastes, and other things that would come with being associated with a certain age. Might help with licensing, like if Sonic is listening to rap music or wearing certain clothes for something.

Probably helpful in other instances, too, like Tails being the "younger" friend/brother-figure for Sonic. Make it too vague like just "younger," and we get something like the old SEGA of America bit where he's like four or five years old, when he's apparently meant to be a lot closer in age.

Also: It's from Japan. That is, look at Street Fighter II-- they have things down to the characters' blood type there, as there are certain associations that they infer from it.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:58 am

The Shadow Emperor wrote:
DarkEnerjak7 wrote:Wait, I don't know why I didn't think about this before, but if Sonic Rivals 1/2 happened then Dr. Nega was supposed to be trapped in the Chaotic Inferno Zone. However, I got the impression from Captain Whisker in PPP that Nega was still in the Sol Zone. Did he escape or do they not know Nega's gone?

He escaped from a card before, it's perfectly feasible that he escaped the Ifrit's Zone as well.

Question is, did Captain Whisker talk about Prime Nega or 252 Nega in Pirate Plunder Panic?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:04 am

He talked about Nega. There's effectively no purpose in differentiating them, it's not like he's shown up yet and he's not owned by anybody other than Sega so he wasn't booted out of canon.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 am

Minor thing but as of this issue they've changed "Welcome to Sonic's comic book adventures" to "Welcome to the Sonic comic universe", which sounds soooooo much better.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:06 am

TheFatPanda wrote:Minor thing but as of this issue they've changed "Welcome to Sonic's comic book adventures" to "Welcome to the Sonic comic universe", which sounds soooooo much better.

Oh thank the ancient Walkers, FINALLY

EDIT: I stopped reading that part, because the grammar always irked me
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Scruffy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 am

TheFatPanda wrote:
Penguin God wrote:but I really hope that Secret Origins isn't required because I don't buy any of them.

You can get it for free on Free Comic Day.

Speak for yourself. *sobs*
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:31 am

My comic-book-guy gets me the Sonic freebie comic every year so I'll be getting that. Sorry Scruffy!

SimonSays wrote:Confusing. Within the first page I was sitting there wondering if I'd missed an issue or something. Turns out, I did, but it's not my fault because the required two stories haven't come out yet. Having an issue spoil events from a future issue when they don't line up right has always been annoying, but in other cases it's been minor things like "Bunnie is flesh and blood now? Whaaa?" This is the whole story, and I'm just lost.

I had this feeling when I read the first few preview pages over at TSSZ a few days ago. Suddenly Sonic and Silver are talking about Genesis Portals as if they've already had at-length conversations about them (Guh? Wha? When did these two get the chance to talk anytime since the Penders Wave?). Suddenly the Freedom Fighters have six out of seven Chaos Emeralds (wow did they find three Chaos Emeralds in one place or something when I wasn't looking? I swear they only had two or three at last count?). I can however explain/piece together Metal Sonic's sudden appearance from the end of the 'Champions' arc (presumably).

At first - like you - I thought I'd missed an issue but then I remembered that some of the issues didn't line up during the 'Worlds Collide' event. I expect it'll only be the number next to the 'Worlds Unite' title block that will help us keep things properly lined up over the coming months.

SimonSays wrote:The art was really phenomenal. Some of Yardley's best, IMO. Everything really came together in this issue with good pencils, good inks, and good colors. It was a real treat to look at.

Yep. Art was pretty hot in this issue. Double thumbs up to Mr. Yardley for this one. I really like the monitor bars/scan lines in Metal Sonic's eyes - it's only a little thing but it's a pretty classy look for this iteration of Metal Sonic.

I'm already signed up for the 'Battle Books' (ordered them from my local comic-book-guy soon as they were announced) so I'm interested in seeing what Silver gets up to.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:03 pm

The off panel of this issue:
Spoiler: show
(click to enlarge)

Note that it was written by Bill Freiberger, producer of the Sonic Boom show. I wonder if at some point he will also be writing some story for STH or SH.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Sunwalker wrote:The off panel of this issue:
(click to enlarge)

Note that it was written by Bill Freiberger, producer of the Sonic Boom show. I wonder if at some point he will also be writing some story for STH or SH.

I'd be interested in seeing what he does
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Polish Pete » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Sunwalker wrote:The off panel of this issue:
(click to enlarge)

So Bill Freiberger, the guy behind Sonic Boom, now started writing for the main series too? Count me in! Definitely looking forward to more of his stuff 'cause that Off-Panel IMO was both clever and funny.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius