SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:27 am

If I read correctly, people are getting this now? If so, have at it.

If not, then stay out.

*smacks your hand with a ruler*

I mean it.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Re: SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby sonicray » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:56 am

Ow! My hand! It's not my fault that snail mail system takes forever to deliver.
sonicray
BumbleNoble

Postby Betz! » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 am

I'll start the discussion. First, I was lost at how Silver ties into SCO 6. It's about snivley right? Second, it claims that in 272 we learn about what genesis portals are and where they came from. 272 isn't coming out until middle of May. Love how silver was included in this. Very nice. Also I see what Ian said about Worlds Unite forming in the comics now. Overall, nice issue.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby N'egga Man » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:38 am

Betz! wrote:First, I was lost at how Silver ties into SCO 6. It's about snivley right?

From what I've gathered, the sixth origin story is the one from Super Special Magazine #14 (should've been released in March, but still hasn't) titled 'The Genesis Portal'. SCO#1-5 were focused on the Freedom Fighters, #6 supposedly tells the 'origin' of these Genesis Portals (probably when they first showed up), and then #7 and #8 are about Razor and Snively (maybe not in that order, depends which one comes out first). From what Silver said, it sounds like he'll be in that origin story too.

Betz! wrote:Second, it claims that in 272 we learn about what genesis portals are and where they came from. 272 isn't coming out until middle of May.

Wouldn't be the first time this has happened, after all 'Spark of Life' happened after 'Champions', but Part 1 of the former was released before the latter. That said, I think I've narrowed down the order of events leading up to 'Worlds Unite': (I might be wrong with SSSM#14's placement, but it's the most likely place at this point.)

'Champions' (STH#268-271) > 'Spark of Life' (SU#71-74) and 'The Genesis Portal' (SSSM#14) > 'Protector' (STH#272) > 'Fury' (SU#75) > 'Worlds Unite' (SU#76-MM#52)

I'm just glad we get to see Silver again. I haven't read the full issue yet, but it sounds like a lot of fun. *gets smacked with the ruler* OW! Hey!
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

Postby Polish Pete » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:24 am

Okay, so speaking of this thread's running gag...

*SMACK!* Ow!
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:31 am

Betz! wrote:Second, it claims that in 272 we learn about what genesis portals are and where they came from. 272 isn't coming out until middle of May.

Yeah... there were a number of factors that made arranging the stories pre-crossover a bit turned around. There should be plenty of notes and notifications to make it clear what goes where, and in what order.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby SimonSays » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:51 am

Maybe I'm going to enjoy this issue a month from now. But reading it yesterday was not as fun an experience it should have been.

Confusing. Within the first page I was sitting there wondering if I'd missed an issue or something. Turns out, I did, but it's not my fault because the required two stories haven't come out yet. Having an issue spoil events from a future issue when they don't line up right has always been annoying, but in other cases it's been minor things like "Bunnie is flesh and blood now? Whaaa?" This is the whole story, and I'm just lost.

Okay, it happens sometimes. Orders don't come out right, maybe they wanted to keep the main events happening in the main comic, since more people read those. The only jump between 272 and the next StH issue, if that's all someone reads, is Sonic getting the emerald. Otherwise he ends up right in the same spot that he began. They're going to have a lousy time once the crossover starts, but okay. Sure.

What really bugs me is that this issue assumes that Silver was already introduced in his Origins story. I mean, I'll give the issue credit for seeming like it recapped all the information we needed to know. But I am really not a fan of the idea that yet-unseen characters might get introduced outside of the comic. Look, I like the Origins stories as inconsequential tidbits on characters that help flesh them out a little more, or give summaries of characters for newbies who missed the actual issues. I don't think though, that they should be covering things that are vital information and relevant to the current plot. I still think the Freedom Fighter's Origins should've taken place in the comic when they were introduced, but I'll give them a pass because they haven't come up in the plot yet. We haven't had stories focusing on Bunnie's limbs or Antoine's dead parents or anything. I just hope in the future, we don't get Origin stories that influence the experience we have in main comic. Maybe that's why Origins 6 was delayed. And I hope so, because that would've made Silver's reveal a lot more lackluster.

Speaking of Silver though, I can't help but feel like this one's kind of a downgrade compared to the pre-reboot Silver. Somehow I don't find his story of "I'm closing portals because someone might get hurt and I'm a nice guy, but I already saved my time" more compelling than "I need to save my time but I don't know how." We knew this already since he was referenced in the context of Colors, but still. I don't want a Silver who's just another good guy going around doing good guy stuff. That's so boring compared to when he has his own motives that sometimes end up being antagonistic to the heroes. I know some people were tired of the traitor plot and wouldn't want to see that trotted out again. But having a Silver who's basically already won holds no interest to me.

Zavok's just here now. Okay. I know we saw Eggman get notified about the Lost Hex a few issues ago, but that doesn't really feel like buildup the way that there was buildup to Wily.

And if I hear the It's No Use and You're Too Slow jokes one more time I'm going to barf. :P

Okay, but besides being really weird at the beginning, the majority of it was pretty fine, since most of it was Sonic beating on Metal Sonic. The fight with Metal was fun, and I really REALLY liked how he was characterized in this issue. The emphasis on how he never stops chasing Sonic was great, and seeing him pop out of the lava was exactly the kind of thing I want to see from him. THIS is how you should handle Metal Sonic. Not by scrapping him easily, but by temporarily outrunning him. Save him getting destroyed for the important fights. He's finally starting to feel formidable again.

I said it before in the other thread, but I'm assuming that this area is someplace from Breath of Fire because of the line they tossed out there, and that these Genesis Portals are taking people to the other game universes. I don't know enough about Breath of Fire to recognize this place. I wonder if anyone knows what game the angry plants might reference. I mean it looks like the area where you fight Ifrit in Rivals 2, but he never shows up while we're here, so... Iunno? Silver ends up in a snowy mountain area which makes me think of Monster Hunter. Metal Sonic ends up in space. I don't know who's in space besides Ulala, but I don't think she's in the crossover. But I would like to see her try to teach Metal how to dance.

And I do like a lot that the comic is introducing it's own interesting zones, if Crystal Desert is anything to go by. The zones in this issue felt really empty, so I hope they don't make things TOO game-y all the time. But I like that they're trying out new concepts for levels.

The art was really phenomenal. Some of Yardley's best, IMO. Everything really came together in this issue with good pencils, good inks, and good colors. It was a real treat to look at.

Overall, I'm pretty in the middle about this issue. Even ignoring the "what the heck is goin' on" feeling that won't be there in later rereadings, this issue just feels like the precursor to the crossover, and it doesn't have the substance I really want from it. It has good moments, but it always feels like wasted time to spend issues talking about these strange portals and new villains and anomalies in the fabric of time and space blah blah when we know it's leading up to the crossover. And I'm sure World's Unite will be fun and all, but coming off of Champions and Spark of Life which were both great, it's going to be a temporary move away from what I really read the comic for.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:13 am

Personally I find it refreshing to see Sonic and Silver interact this much without having any of be confrontational on their ends or clash for inexplicable reasons. They're both technically on the same side anyway and with Silver it doesn't have to be a matter of "my future's in danger" to have a role in the story which would get too redundant for his character motivation after a while.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:38 am

Even with all the weird chronology and loss of context this issue was still really good.

Silver's mission is pretty straight forward and Sonic and co are chasing an emerald. Doesn't feel like too much was missed.

Not sure where the were but the use of "My Breath feels like it's on fire" seems to indicate it's Breath of Fires universe? I don't know I've never played those games.

Kinda wondering where Silver wound up. Is it Mega Man's world or somewhere else? Same for Metal but somehow I doubt that'll be a part of Worlds Unite.

Speaking of I Was Right! Eggman found Lost Hex and set up shop between issues. That's going to be interesting when when we do get to Lost World. Oh, and Zavok's in control of Orbot? That'll be fun.

So this confirms Worlds Unite is 100% Canon to Sonic's Universe. I assume Mega Man's too but gonna wait till I say for sure.

This issue did something I loved it showed how Sonic still feels guilty over the part he played in the World Shattering. It hasn't been brought up before this point but it's nice to see Sonic is still upset about this and even if Silver told him he'd fail completely he'd still fight. This will be my goto issue for why I prefer Post-SGW Sonic to Pre from now on.

Overall Timeline silliness aside a realty enjoyable standalone story. Honestly as much as I like Arcs I kind of wish Universe would do more of these.

Also I guess they printed Fury in this issue to better transition into Worlds Unite? SU #75 "Fury">SU #76 "Worlds Unite". JUst my guess anyway. I know I read Chronologically when rereading the books.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Would anybody care to provide a proper spoiler summary?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Betz! » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Ian, if you have any say, you should do more casual "crossovers." Something like sonic chases metal sonic through a genesis portal, runs through Mega Man'S world and comes out back on his world. SSomething not as big as WU but a nice little hi or so. I'd buy that.

Also, the art was amazing. Tracy did really well.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Tylinos » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:24 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Would anybody care to provide a proper spoiler summary?

Sure thing. But first, thoughts on the issue.

I enjoyed it, though I feel like I'd enjoy it more after reading Origins 6 and Sonic 272. Not Ian's fault, though, like he pointed out. Scheduling's a weird thing. Oh, and like Betz! said, the art was fantastic.

So, we start out in Crystal Desert Zone, where Sonic, Tails, and Bunnie are chasing Metal Sonic, who has the Cyan Chaos Emerald. The rest of the FFs (plus Knuckles) are helping out G.U.N. soldiers, who Metal attacked for the Emerald. A call from Rouge mentions learning about the Emerald in Sonic 272. Metal detects a Genesis Portal and escapes into it, but Sonic follows before it closes behind them.

They end up in Burning Ruin Zone (someone in the solicit thread mentioned this is probably supposed to be the Breath of Fire universe, based on one of Sonic's lines), where Silver is busy closing Genesis Portals. He mentions a previous meeting with Sonic in Origins 6, where he started travelling around to close them. Silver says there's three more Portals around here, and that since he's noticed a surprising amount of them lead back to Sonic's world and time, one's bound to take Sonic home.

There's a bit of talk between Sonic and Silver as they chase Metal down, and it's some pretty nice character stuff. Silver wants to do what he can about the Portals despite how huge of a task it is, and doesn't want to tell Sonic how the Shattered World Crisis turns out, so as to keep history on track.

Metal attacks, and we get some swapping of catchphrases (Metal tells Silver that "It's no use," and Silver tells Metal "You're too slow".) as they all fight for the Emerald. This Metal becomes the second to fall into a volcano, but he manages to escape thanks to his Burst Shield. Sonic tricks Metal into one of the Portals, and Silver closes it behind him, leaving Metal trapped in what looks like outer space.

Silver shows Sonic the Portal home, and tells him the very little he can about the outcome of the Shattered World Crisis. Silver's words to himself after Sonic leaves makes it sound like it wasn't fixed in his future, but it's pretty ambiguous. Plus, either way, his talk with Sonic just now amounted to "Even if I say you failed, it's not like you'd give up." "Yeah, I'd probably just try even harder then." Anyway, Silver heads into the last Portal, ending up in an unknown snowy area, with a box noting it'll be continued in Sonic: Worlds Unite Battles.

Sonic shows up right back in front of the FFs, who were just in the middle of being rallied by Sally to search for Portals to find him. Her reaction to him popping back up right there's amusing. Amy acts like Amy, immediately hugging Sonic and then backing off because he smells like a fireplace. He jokingly mocks this with an exaggerated kissy face. Although Antoine worries about them having not even found the Temples yet, Sonic decides to count today as a win, since they saved the G.U.N. troops and got an Emerald.

On the last page, Eggman complains about Metal Sonic being trapped in another universe. We see Zavok standing around in the room, and Orbot acting quite strangely, with purple word balloons and a purple glow from his lights. It's hard to tell if the implication is he's being controlled by Zavok, or possibly Sigma. Either way, the teaser box pretty much says it'll be answered in Worlds Unite, so it could easily be either.

The Off Panel's silly. Mustard is involved.

Hope that all satisfies everyone.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby Betz! » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Tylinos wrote:Hope that all satisfies everyone.

NO. I DEMAND IT ALL WORD FOR WORD. BACKWARDS AND IN SPANISH. UPSIDE DOWN TOO. I AM NEVER SATISFIED
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Tylinos wrote:
Silver shows Sonic the Portal home, and tells him the very little he can about the outcome of the Shattered World Crisis. Silver's words to himself after Sonic leaves makes it sound like it wasn't fixed in his future, but it's pretty ambiguous. Plus, either way, his talk with Sonic just now amounted to "Even if I say you failed, it's not like you'd give up." "Yeah, I'd probably just try even harder then."

That BTW is the big reason I'd say this issue's a perfect example of why Post-Reboot Sonic is better than Pre-Reboot Sonic. Pre-Reboot Sonic really did feel more like saving the world was a job but this Sonic wouldn't let possible failure get him down He'll fight destiny just because he wants to do what's right.

Post-Reboot Sonic actually feels like he deserves to be called "Hero of Mobius" IMHO.

Sonic shows up right back in front of the FFs, who were just in the middle of being rallied by Sally to search for Portals to find him. Her reaction to him popping back up right there's amusing.

Am I alone in thinking of Sonic X #25 where Sonic comes back as Chris was forming a plan to save him? :(hearty laughter):

The Off Panel's silly. Mustard is involved.

Written by Bill Frieberger. Interesting as this might be the only place to see him write Silver or any Sega character not in the cartoon.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:28 pm

The preview pages are up on the Sonic News Network-quite interesting. Crystal Desert and Burning Ruin are interesting new locations-I will agree that it was a bit odd to see events that take place after the next Sonic Comic Origins story, though the whole Genesis Portal angle is an interesting means of getting Silver involved-and a refreshing change from the usual "somebody in the past screwed up my future." I'm also curious as to which G.U.N. unit that is-whether it's Spider Troop, Mantis Platoon, Scorpion Troop, or something purely Archie.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius