STH#271 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#271 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mordum » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Diana Skelly wrote:
Yeah, I can see how the humans I drew would be jarring to some people considering the way they were depicted throughout the rest of the comic.

I was actually pretty fond of the dissonance (though I'm also someone who had no problem with a weirdly realistic looking Eggman existing alongside a cartoon Sonic in Sonic 06, so take what I say with the salt it warrants).

But your art is stellar and was an absolute pleasure to see. Flynn's script with your visuals was a match made in heaven.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Kellox » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Diana Skelly wrote:
The Swordsman wrote:
Kellox wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:Do any of you think this will become the new Endgame of the comics since its getting to be less revered by the rest of the fandom?

Wait...there were people who didn't like this arc? What happened to their souls?

I still hear criticism from people still rather unhappy about the reboot and some people not liking the cartoony art style and missing the more..erm realistic art style. Less about the story of this arc and more people still not liking the general direction.

Which I don't get myself, I envy the kids growing up with these Sonic comics when I grew up in the era of Ken Penders/Steven Butler styles.( yes Steven is a good artist its just I prefer cartoony over his human like proportions.

Its a matter of preference but I think part of it is while cartoony stuff works ok for the mobians it doesn't really work for the humans (some to gonk levels) which causes sort of a clash instead of matching together like intended. Makes me wonder if giving the humans a more anime styled look (a more middle ground between cartoon and realistic) instead could fix the problem imo.

Yeah, I can see how the humans I drew would be jarring to some people considering the way they were depicted throughout the rest of the comic.
Making the background humans more cartoony was a conscious decision mainly out of fear of Unleashed characters like Gregarios and his bulbous head hanging out in crowd scenes with more realistically proportioned anime characters. Though it turned out that he would be the only Unleashed human making an appearance in the Fighters/Unleashed arc and he never stood next to anyone for there to be any uncanny valley weirdness.

I however still live in fear of getting an assignment where Commander Towers and Professor Pickle appear in the same room to discuss politics over tea.

Oh, hey guys! I'm really happy my first issues were enjoyed.

I for one love the way you draw humans, I prefer them cartoony or anime-ish then over too realistic. Sonic 06 design of the game always looked off to me.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:35 am

Speaking of how people draw things: I wonder whose idea it was to redesign Scratch and Grounder? In the actual story, they have been redesigned, but in the Off-Panel and Cover they appear in, they use their Mobius Prime design. It seems like it was a last minute thing that the change occurred, or that different artists weren't aware of it. I think even Dub did the Off-panel, so it seems odd he'd miss a big art shift like that.

Oh, hey guys! I'm really happy my first issues were enjoyed

I'm happy you just implied that you'll be doing more
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:29 am

Kellox wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:Do any of you think this will become the new Endgame of the comics since its getting to be less revered by the rest of the fandom?

Wait...there were people who didn't like this arc? What happened to their souls?

I still hear criticism from people still rather unhappy about the reboot and some people not liking the cartoony art style and missing the more..erm realistic art style. Less about the story of this arc and more people still not liking the general direction.

Which I don't get myself, I envy the kids growing up with these Sonic comics when I grew up in the era of Ken Penders/Steven Butler styles.( yes Steven is a good artist its just I prefer cartoony over his human like proportions.

You have to remember though, that a lot of us who miss the old continuity were around since the begining. In my case, I bought issue #8 at a news stand as a kid, and have been around ever since. That's more than 20 years! A lot of us are significantly older than the target audience at this point. Yes the book is technically all ages, but anyone who says it isn't tailored for children are not correct (this is not a bad thing though). It's not unusual to have your tastes change and refine as you grow older. So while a lot of it is nostalgia, I think for the old timers like me who aren't the biggest fans of the new continuity have just outgrown the book in general, and had likely outgrown the book before the reboot. We were just hanging on for the threads we loved and appreciated when it was our age. But since there have been so many changes, those few threads are gone and replaced with things for a whole new readership to remember and appreciate. This is natural, and much healthier for the book really, but it is what contributes to those who still don't like the new direction and lack of depth (don't read too hard into that statement, let's not derail the thread too much).
Last edited by Astrobot7000 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:32 am

I dunno. I'm still enjoying the book, and I've been collecting the series since issue 0, you know?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:33 am

I'm not saying we can't still enjoy it. I was just explaining why some people are still having a hard time with the new continuity, despite how amazing or terrible it may or may not be.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Diana Skelly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:57 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:Speaking of how people draw things: I wonder whose idea it was to redesign Scratch and Grounder? In the actual story, they have been redesigned, but in the Off-Panel and Cover they appear in, they use their Mobius Prime design. It seems like it was a last minute thing that the change occurred, or that different artists weren't aware of it. I think even Dub did the Off-panel, so it seems odd he'd miss a big art shift like that.

Oh, hey guys! I'm really happy my first issues were enjoyed

I'm happy you just implied that you'll be doing more

Thanks so much! Off panels and covers are typically some of the very first things completed. So something must have changed between the time I drew the off panel the S6 appeared where I was asked to simply draw them wearing suits and the time I got the first script for Champions where I was asked to merge them with their game counterparts and possibly play around with their suit designs.

When I did the off panels for StH and SU, a bunch of things didn’t have reference yet.
Thunderbolt had one b/w piece of concept art (I actually thought she had something to do with Chip at first) so I drew her being more cuddly and cutesy than she ended up being. I also didn’t have anything for Moss’s hut. I dunno I guess he has a zen garden with a pond off screen now.

Kellox wrote:I for one love the way you draw humans, I prefer them cartoony or anime-ish then over too realistic. Sonic 06 design of the game always looked off to me.

Mordum wrote:I was actually pretty fond of the dissonance (though I'm also someone who had no problem with a weirdly realistic looking Eggman existing alongside a cartoon Sonic in Sonic 06, so take what I say with the salt it warrants).
But your art is stellar and was an absolute pleasure to see. Flynn's script with your visuals was a match made in heaven.

AllHailShadow wrote:HELLO I LOVE YOUR ART IT'S THE BEST
also, I personally feel like humans didn't fit well in the Sonic universe prior to Unleashed when they were deliberately made more cartoony... because Sonic is cartoony. this is why Elise and Eggman 06 in their ridiculous Final Fantasy style were extremely jarring

Thank you thank you all so much! :'}
Diana Skelly
BumbleNewbie

Postby Adamis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:57 pm

Add me to the "your art is amazing" list, Diana :)
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Zanoss » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Yeah, your work on this arc is really great Diana =D
I also love how you make the expression of Honey and Amy !
Zanoss
BumbleNewbie

Postby The KKM » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:56 am

Diana Skelly wrote:
The Swordsman wrote:
Kellox wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:

Its a matter of preference but I think part of it is while cartoony stuff works ok for the mobians it doesn't really work for the humans (some to gonk levels) which causes sort of a clash instead of matching together like intended. Makes me wonder if giving the humans a more anime styled look (a more middle ground between cartoon and realistic) instead could fix the problem imo.

Making the background humans more cartoony was a conscious decision mainly out of fear of Unleashed characters like Gregarios and his bulbous head hanging out in crowd scenes with more realistically proportioned anime characters. Though it turned out that he would be the only Unleashed human making an appearance in the Fighters/Unleashed arc and he never stood next to anyone for there to be any uncanny valley weirdness.

I however still live in fear of getting an assignment where Commander Towers and Professor Pickle appear in the same room to discuss politics over tea.

Oh, hey guys! I'm really happy my first issues were enjoyed.

Base him on his Chronicles appearance. Screw the people complaining- best humans are cartoony humans. Find a halfway between Unleashed and Adventure, those are the only two references worth mentioning :V
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby The Swordsman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:16 am

The KKM wrote:Base him on his Chronicles appearance. Screw the people complaining- best humans are cartoony humans. Find a halfway between Unleashed and Adventure, those are the only two references worth mentioning :V

That could work as well.

While I don't like how you draw humans Diana I would like to clarify for me that it is just the humans everything else is great.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby Axel T Rat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:17 pm

I don't know why this took so long to get to me. Almost feels like its time for the next Mega Man and Uni to ship out even though I'm exaggerating.

+Sonic vs Knuckles. Always classic. Even Knuckles think its obligated and takes precedence
+In addition to that we get some game references, including Sonic Battle!
+Scratch's old laugh. I kinda forgot that it had a "ka" sound in the middle
+That fish girl. I can only assume that was the "princess" previously alluded to.
+"Nope!"
+Honey and Breezie's dialogue

=Those monitor shots are kinda weird, but do emphasize long-distance reactions.
=As divisive as ever, Bean
=The All-Star mobile. Kinda neutral towards it
=Don't tell the demon lawyers, but that Egg Hawk picture looks a little "predatory"

-Why does the cover have Scratch and Grounder's classic versions? Kinda inconsistent
-Just in general, I got this suspicion that a lot of peeps with fan-art of pre-Genesis wave characters get thrown in the trash after seeing the group pic there
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:29 pm

Axel T Rat wrote:-Why does the cover have Scratch and Grounder's classic versions? Kinda inconsistent

Diana Skelly wrote:Off panels and covers are typically some of the very first things completed. So something must have changed between the time I drew the off panel the S6 appeared where I was asked to simply draw them wearing suits and the time I got the first script for Champions where I was asked to merge them with their game counterparts and possibly play around with their suit designs.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Axel T Rat wrote:-Why does the cover have Scratch and Grounder's classic versions? Kinda inconsistent

Diana Skelly wrote:Off panels and covers are typically some of the very first things completed. So something must have changed between the time I drew the off panel the S6 appeared where I was asked to simply draw them wearing suits and the time I got the first script for Champions where I was asked to merge them with their game counterparts and possibly play around with their suit designs.

Makes me wonder: were the designs for the s6 solidified by Diana Skelly for Champions, or was the page that introduced Breezie and Coconuts first?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Diana Skelly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:

Makes me wonder: were the designs for the s6 solidified by Diana Skelly for Champions, or was the page that introduced Breezie and Coconuts first?

Long story short, the way things were scheduled first couple pages of 269 were penciled before the last page of 268.

I was asked to “segafy" Wez, Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts while drawing the pencils. This largely entailed being asked to mesh characteristics from specific canon game characters and/or giving them suits.
I guess I designed “large woman” if that counts as a character. Also since we weren’t allowed to directly reference Jane I drew her as a pig. (The original suggestion was to simply draw Jane without her armor.)

Adamis wrote:Add me to the "your art is amazing" list, Diana :)

Thanx! will do!

Zanoss wrote:Yeah, your work on this arc is really great Diana =D
I also love how you make the expression of Honey and Amy !
Danke! They were a joy to draw!
Diana Skelly
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius