Ken Penders Early cover for Sonic issue 47

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Ken Penders Early cover for Sonic issue 47

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:39 am

Saw this last night this is absolutely disgusting and if this had been the final cover (And God forbid plot) of Endgame then this arc would have been 1000,000,000X worse than it already was.

He told me when I asked about this on Twitter that his mind just went to this when he was plotting out Endgame and I just can't see how when thinking of the possible end to a series you go to THE FRIGGIN OJ SIMPSON TRIAL TWO YEARS AFTER IT HAPPENED!
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby jazzflower92 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:26 pm

And Ken Penders still wonders to this day why he was let go from his position. Ian Flynn at least has his head on straight.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Chauvel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:59 pm

After seeing this released, I've seen a lot of members from all over asking, "What's the OJ Simpson trial?" and I have to explain it to them and why the cover is in poor taste.

Com'on, I'm not that old!
Chauvel
BumbleCitizen

Postby jazzflower92 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Scarz wrote:After seeing this released, I've seen a lot of members from all over asking, "What's the OJ Simpson trial?" and I have to explain it to them and why the cover is in poor taste.

I know about the OJ Simpson trial but I was very young when it happened. The things that were going in my mind at the time was being encouraged not to bite others. Hey, I was born in 1992 so I was rocking my preschool and kindergarten years when this happened.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Betz! » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Scarz wrote:After seeing this released, I've seen a lot of members from all over asking, "What's the OJ Simpson trial?" and I have to explain it to them and why the cover is in poor taste.

eeeeeeee.jpg

ddd.jpg

OJ Simpson...?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby SurrealBrain » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:28 pm

...not funny, Betz. Not funny.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby 009* » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Wow, this isn't meant as an insult, but it really feels like Penders wasn't trying back in the day.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Betz! » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Dejiko wrote:...not funny, Betz. Not funny.

That was what went through my mind when they said the name. Forgive me if I truly don't know anything about this case.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:56 pm

(Comes back in thread) Anyone who doesn't know what the OJ Simpson trial is can easily google it. No need to be making jokes about it. (Leaves thread again.)
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Because I am a boring individual that takes books from the free box at the Book Rack, I have a book on famous 20th Century Trials. OJ Simpson is one of them, so I can understand what is being referenced, but in the way it is, it's incredibly insensitive and kind of upsetting.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby ShadowBat20 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:39 pm

The fact that he was willing to reference the Simpson trial so soon after it happened, and in a children's comic book no less, is just...all sorts of wrong.

I guess it's a scrapped cover for a reason.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:40 pm

And someone theorised that Whitey was what eventually became Drago. Wasn't Endgame his first appearance?
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Really? I mean I was like 3 during it but I still know what it was.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby SimonSays » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Meliden wrote:And someone theorised that Whitey was what eventually became Drago. Wasn't Endgame his first appearance?

That was stated by Ken himself (bad language in link), that the wolf in the bottom left later became Drago. Speaking of, is "Whitey" supposed to be a parody of someone specific in the trials? My knowledge of the OJ stuff only goes as far as the events and the lawyers and "If I Did It".

IDK, I'm not that upset by the cover itself considering it wasn't the final cover. A lot of the process of writing is refining crap ideas into better ones. I mean, granted, this one goes over the moon in terms of being tacky and tasteless, even for a starting point. But along the way someone realized that, it got changed, and so it's not what people had to pay for. It IS unacceptable, which is why it wasn't accepted. I'm really curious who nixed that one, whether it was the editor or Ken revising the story later on. I'm more bothered that he's defending it in present day as something that's not offensive. Some pieces of comic trivia are better off staying buried.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby jazzflower92 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:09 pm

SimonSays wrote:
Meliden wrote:And someone theorised that Whitey was what eventually became Drago. Wasn't Endgame his first appearance?

That was stated by Ken himself (bad language in link), that the wolf in the bottom left later became Drago. Speaking of, is "Whitey" supposed to be a parody of someone specific in the trials? My knowledge of the OJ stuff only goes as far as the events and the lawyers and "If I Did It".

IDK, I'm not that upset by the cover itself considering it wasn't the final cover. A lot of the process of writing is refining crap ideas into better ones. I mean, granted, this one goes over the moon in terms of being tacky and tasteless, even for a starting point. But along the way someone realized that, it got changed, and so it's not what people had to pay for. It IS unacceptable, which is why it wasn't accepted. I'm really curious who nixed that one, whether it was the editor or Ken revising the story later on. I'm more bothered that he's defending it in present day as something that's not offensive. Some pieces of comic trivia are better off staying buried.

As we have seen about Mr. Penders he lacks tact and will defend his actions as justified.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius