Is "Worlds Collide" Ian's "Endgame" to you?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Is "Worlds Collide" Ian's "Endgame" to you?

Postby SatAMhog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:51 am

I was thinking tonight at work about Endgame and Worlds Collide and the similarities...both had Knuckles help save the day at the end, an ultimate weapon of mass destruction that wiped out all reality as we know it, and both ended their respective Robotnik/Eggmans (since Robo-Robotnik's existence was erased and literally recreated as another Robotnik/Eggman in Worlds Collide and the original Robotnik was outright destroyed in Endgame by the UA). Does anyone see this as Ian's "Endgame" to the Robo-Robotnik storyline as "Endgame" was to the original Robotnik's storyline? I thought it was a nice nod to Ian's version of Robo seeing this war as a "game" and he was not going to be the loser by trying to stop Super Sonic from unleashing his Chaos Control to fix reality...he was his own Snively this time and ended up destroying his own old self but ended getting rewritten in this new reality that was created by both Super Sonic and Eggman.

My question to everyone is....which was (in your opinion) the better conclusion to their own respective storylines? Did you feel "Worlds Collide" ended the Robo-Robotnik war despite the restrictions or did "Endgame" do better?
SatAMhog
BumbleFan

Re: Is "Worlds Collide" Ian's "Endgame" to you?

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:00 am

I think "Worlds Collide" is the better story, but "Endgame" serves as a better ending.

One of the only criticisms I can even think of about "Worlds Collide" is that it doesn't really end. The reboot forces it to stop, which is naturally written it just isn't an ending.

I know "Endgame" isn't the most beloved of stories anymore in the community, but I still like it. It's a very dramatic storyline, occasional silliness aside, and I think it would have worked for an ending to the series if it needed to. Most of the core cast at the time got moments to shine, there's an air of finality given by the Ultimate Annihilator and the epilogue with Sally, and Snively works much better as a lingering sense of uncertainty. "Worlds Collide" doesn't have that. It's a fun story utilizing everything from the Sega Sonic canon and the Mega Man series to make real a dream for fans of both sets of video games. What it doesn't do is tie in any way to Archie Sonic canon, which I feel an "Endgame" story would need to do.

But yeah, no doubt "Worlds Collide" is better written. I have no argument with that.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Chameleon Guy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:28 am

GentlemanX wrote:One of the only criticisms I can even think of about "Worlds Collide" is that it doesn't really end. The reboot forces it to stop, which is naturally written it just isn't an ending.

There wasn't a real ending because... this is an ongoing comic book and there's usually cliffhangers? Sorry for stating the obvious, the purpose of Endgame was to give a conclusion to the storyline, so you have Robotnik's death, the crossover was supposed to last 12 parts, and it did, it ended when it had to, and IMO it leads to the reboot in a very natural way. Worlds Collide was about changing reality, and Eggman's ultimate plan was to make his own best version of the universe with the SGW, Sonic stopped him but Eggman got in the way, so you have a modified version of the old world, if I was a kid and I wasn't around the Internet I would have hardly guessed that this was because of some copyright issue.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 am

No. Worlds Collide is actually enjoyable to read.

Everytime I reread Endgame I seriously hate it more and more. Neither are particularly good endings mind you but Worlds Collide is at least fun to read.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 am

I though Genesis was his Endgame? Also, I didn't really like Endgame.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 am

The problem with the whole "it needs a cliffhanger" is that Mega Man didn't get that. Mega Man got a happy ending in Worlds Collide, with 0 indication of what would happen next for him.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Betz! » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:29 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:with 0 indication of what would happen next for him.

Mega Man 23 gave us a somewhat good look.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby 009* » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:47 pm

I wouldn't compare Worlds Collide to Endgame largely because it doesn't have giant plot holes. Eggman and Wily's plan worked so well partly because the Genesis Wave altered history so the Mobius side didn't have any relevant experience. Compare this to Endgame, where Robotnik's plan to frame Sonic should've started to fall apart rather quickly because that was the third time Sonic had seemingly gone rogue, and the people involved knew about the Auto-Automatons. Not to mention that Sonic wasn't saved from Dues Ex Machina like Dulcy's never before seen truth powers, it was shown that Duo, and the rescue team in part 12, was en route just before it happened.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:08 pm

I wouldn't really call Worlds Collide an Endgame since it wasn't intended to end the characters. Sonic's still Sonic, Eggman's still Eggman, the Freedom Fighters are all still around, and all that was intended t be before it even started. If you want to compare them as big events, I would say Worlds Collide is better, but I'm not sure what other metrics there are.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Worlds Collide and Endgame share the similarity that both of them changed the course of the STH comic.

But I never had thought about comparing them. Either way, they both are a notable point in the comic's history.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Oakie620 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:40 pm

NxtWaltDisney wrote:I though Genesis was his Endgame?

Between the ultimate MacGuffin, Sally's tragic fate and the bizarre aftereffects, I consider this a much more fitting analogy.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby Kellox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:31 am

Even trough I personally also quite liked Endgame, ''Worlds Collide'' in my personal taste is better because there is never a dull moment. You enjoy the interaction between Sonic and Megman, you cheer at seeing all the inside jokes between the two franchises, it has good-decent art throughout the entire story and the scens with Wally and Eggman is just purely the best. The only thing I personally thought was lacking was that we didn't get to see the comic book characters.

Endgame while having major cool moments has a lot of dull moments as well and various scenes of disbelief. The idea that the Sonic's friends so easily believe that he was responsible for the death of Sally, the entire idea of Hershely wearing a suit that makes her see everyone as Snively and everyone else as Sonic kind of raised some eyebrows the fact that Sonic wasn't really showing a lot of emotion about Sally's death made him seem pretty cold when you consider the fact the two were supposed to have feelings for another. That and the art wasn't always consistent.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Vampfox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 pm

There's nothing to compair besides the crossover will be a million times better then Endgame.

Endgame is nothing more then an overrated story with a million and one plotholes that fails as a finally to the freedom fighters battle against Dr. Robotnik especially when you compair it to it's Satam counterpart Doomsday.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Return to This Side of Mobius