"Too Many Mechas" or "Where's Pseudo Sonic?"

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Too Many Mechas

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:25 pm

Promethean0416 wrote:Does this Mecha count too? :P

Spoiler: show

If the topic were "Way Too Many Mechas," maybe.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby linebyline » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Speaking of M, I don't think Metal Sonic was destroyed in the System arc, and possibly not in Good/Bad/Unknown, either. In System, Metal and Shadow both ended up in the same condition, namely knocked out but otherwise intact, and were both carried off by M. In GBU, Metal Sonic was basically left for dead (well, you know, robot dead). I don't know if Eggman retrieved him (he was able to send other robots into the base, and it's not like the base became inaccessible since Finitevus and friends got down there) or just built a new one (he had plenty of nanites); it was never really addressed.

[Insert obligatory whining because I miss Shard.]
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Milox » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:05 pm

*Theme music begins*
It takes a lot to mecha stew...
Milox
BumbleClan

Postby Matt7325 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 am

Milox wrote:*Theme music begins*
It takes a lot to mecha stew...

Metal Sonic v4.0:

Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Sonic's Robotic Copies

Postby diamonddeath » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:49 pm

I wanted to discuss the issue of Metal Sonic and Silver Sonic in this new continuity. It would seem in the games thanks to Sonic 4 that Metal Sonic is a one-of-a-kind robot that can't be recreated like in the older comic continuity since Dr. Eggman needed to save Metal Sonic from Little Planet. Do you think Metal Sonic in this new continuity is the same?

As for Silver Sonic, things get a bit trickier. Silver Sonic was originally named Mecha Sonic in the games but was renamed as Silver Sonic in Sonic 2, resulting in two different robot names for the different models. With Snively's new background shown to include Knuckles fighting Mecha Sonic like in Knuckles' final battle in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, would this robotic sonic be a different Mecha Sonic than the Silver Sonic line? We know that Sonic 2 8-bit's Silver Sonic was a prototype. With all the various models of Silver Sonic, and Metal Sonic's appearance in one of the 8-bit games, just what is the chronology and story behind all these robots?

EDIT: Woops, I didn't realize a thread like this already existed, so the thread I made got merged with this one.
Last edited by diamonddeath on Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

I don't think Metal Sonic in this continuity is the same, we KNOW it is the same. That whole SEGA mandates shpiel, remember? that are painted as oh so restrictive and yet all that's changed is Ian has to keep the same robot instead of destroying him every time.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby DoNotDelete » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:02 pm

I've always considered 'Mecha Sonic' from Sonic 3 and Knuckles to be a completely different robot to 'Metal Sonic', is that right? I really liked his design - more so than standard Metal Sonic.

IIIRC, Metal Sonic was always referred to as 'Metallix' in the UK comics - but I might be misremembering. Both 'Mecha Sonic' and the big red Metal Sonic from Knuckles' Chaotix showed up in the UK comics.

Also, until he recently showed up in the Archie comics I was completely unaware of 'Neo Metal Sonic'.
Last edited by DoNotDelete on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Uh, yeah, Metal Sonic and Mecha Sonic are completely different entities.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DoNotDelete » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Did Mecha Sonic (the one from Sonic 3 and Knuckles) ever show up in the Archie comics?

I guess I can see where a lot of confusion can come about - with Shard sometimes being referred to as 'Mecha Sonic' - seeing as he has nothing to do with the 'Mecha Sonic' from S3&K.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:20 pm

Neo Metal Sonic was the big bad in Sonic Heroes... although his actual appearance in that specific design got very little screentime. it was also never really explained why he had a new design and more sentience. too bad cos I really liked that design

the Mecha Sonic from S3&K did appear in Archie, but he was used as the roboticized Sonic rather than a unique robot. also, the robot from Sonic Adventure sort of resembled the S3&K Mecha Sonic but without the blue paintjob (to me, anyway. most other people seem to think he resembles Silver Sonic more), that particular model appeared as "Silver Sonic 2.0" in the comics
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:48 pm

I always assumed that there are 3 lines, not counting Pseudo Sonic (who was only Sonic bot in cartoon, and prototype of Sonic bot in Preboot)
- Silver Sonic: Prototype in Sonic 2 (8bit), real in Sonic 2 (16) Bit, returning in Sonic Pocket Adventure, Silver Sonic II was in tube in Adventure, but was never activated. In Preboot it's easy since they have numbers, and in Reboot it's same robots as in games (not sure which one appeared in issue 253, III perhaps?)
- Mecha Sonic: Only appeared in S3&K. Same with Reboot (for now). In Preboot it's name for roboticized Sonic (just like Mecha Knuckles or Mecha Sally)
- Metal Sonic: In Preboot it was army of bots, with more less same memories Two became their own thing: Shard and Captain Metal. In Games/Reboot it's always the same guy (except that time Nega used his own Metal in Sonic Rivals 2). Captain Metal is anomaly from old world.
Metal Troopers and Titan Metal Sonic exist only in Preboot, in games they were Metal Sonic transformations. Rocket Metal Sonic didn't ever really appeared, so we can ignore him.

One thing that always bugged me is where is Metal 2.0 (in games). I mean, there is a skin of him, but that doesn't make sense from logical sense of view.
"Hey Nega, how you call your bot?" "Metal 3.0" "Where is 2.0?" "It's a color paint I'm putting on him sometimes."
Therefore I have two theories
Spoiler: show
1 In Sonic Rivals 2 Nega used 3.0, and in Rivals 1 he used 2.0. Eggman didn't plan to activated original Metal, but when Nega start copying him, he decided that Metal might come in handy.
2 In both Rivals games Eggman Nega used 3.0. Original Metal Sonic was destroyed after Sonic Heroes. Threaten by Nega, Eggman build another one (2.0), which is a little less aggressive then first one. That's one first one had CD, Knuckles Chaotix or Sonic Heroes, while new one has... Free Riders.

Also, in UK "Sonic the Comic", there was army of Metals, they were called Metallix (Mecha was one of them, but not Silver Sonic).
OVA had only one Metal and Boom probably too.

And you know what's funny? There are still few obscure Sonic bots left. Does anyone read Adventure Game Book 3 with Zonik?
Last edited by MetalSkulkBane on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Tecnically, the 16 bit Sonic 2 robot is also Mecha Sonic (but was called Silver Sonic in the comic), and the 8 bit Sonic 2 robot is called Silver Sonic in Western localisation, but Mecha Sonic in Japan. The thing in the tube would also be called Mecha Sonic, but it never got an official name.

Essentially, there is no Silver Sonic line in game canon (due to the internationalisation and continuity purging), only in Archie canon.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby diamonddeath » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:48 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:Did Mecha Sonic (the one from Sonic 3 and Knuckles) ever show up in the Archie comics?

Old continuity- Mecha Sonic showed up as the Roboticized form of Sonic, which Robotnik would use as the blueprints for his first Silver Sonic later on. Sonic was again temporarily Roboticized alongside Tails, becoming Mecha Sonic and Mecha Tails respectively in a fight against a Deroboticized Eggman and Snively. They were both given a silver color scheme during this second appearance.

New continuity- Mecha Sonic showed up in Snively's origin story in the background during Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles where it fought Knuckles at Sky Sanctuary Zone, raising the question if it was a newer version of the Silver Sonic prototype shown in Sonic's and Breezie's backstory during Sonic 2 8-bit or a new robot altogether.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Pengi » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:48 pm

As far as the game names go:

Sonic 2 Game Gear/Master System
Japan: Mecha Sonic (instruction manual)
America: Silver Sonic (instruction manual)

Sonic 2 Mega Drive/Genesis
Japan: Mecha Sonic (strategy guides)
America: unnamed

Sonic & Knuckles
Japan: Mecha Sonic (strategy guides)
America: unnamed

Sonic Adventure
unnamed
Pengi
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Sonic 2 16 bit is Mecha Sonic in the West as well according to the Sonic 4 summary of the first three games.
Meliden
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius