"Too Many Mechas" or "Where's Pseudo Sonic?"

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

"Too Many Mechas" or "Where's Pseudo Sonic?"

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Okay, so over the years, there have been a lot of different robotic Sonics. Many are distinct, some are updates or reuses of previous versions, and sometimes different ones have the same name, or the same one winds up with different names.

This was compounded by the pre-reboot comic, wherein Metal Sonic was introduced as "Mecha Sonic," which then became the name of a Roboticized Sonic, retcons making the original Mecha Sonic into Metal Sonic, and so on... you get the idea, right?

And I've tried looking at Sonic News Network's wiki, but I'm still confused.

With the new, more game-based continuity, I'm hoping that maybe I can figure out which robot Sonic is which. And since some of you lot seem pretty good at compiling stats and things, I figured this was as good a place as any to turn to. Here's what I (think I) know, and right now I'm just looking at the cartoons and games/post-reboot, not pre-reboot or Boom or anything else (we can add those later):

- Pseudo Sonic: From Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

- Silver Sonic: From the 8-bit Sonic 2.

- Mecha Sonic from 16-bit Sonic 2, who becomes Mecha Sonic from Sonic & Knuckles, who becomes Silver Sonic II from Sonic Adventure(?) and reappears in Sonic Pocket Adventure in his normal form.

- Metal Sonic from Sonic CD, becomes Neo Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes and back to regular old Metal Sonic in most games thereafter?

- Metal Sonic 2.0: ???

- Metal Sonic 3.0: Eggman Nega's copy of Metal Sonic in Sonic Rivals 2; resembles Shard.

- Mecha Sonic Model No.29: From Sonic the Fighters. Aka "Rocket Metal." One of the good guys, and is more than meets the eye.

- Captain Metal: A whole other thing now, I guess?

- Titan Metal Sonic: Used to be a power-up for Metal Sonic in Chaotix, I think, but now its own thing?

...I think that's all of them? Do I have this right?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Re: Too Many Mechas

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Pretty sure every Metal Sonic besides the Nega one are the same one.

Also why would Mecha Sonic (S&K) become Silver Sonic II?

I think it goes like this:

Pseudo Sonic: first ever robot Sonic attempt.

Silver Sonic: another crack at a robot Sonic, building on Pseudo's blueprints (pure headcanon)

Metal Sonic: third and "final attempt" at a robot Sonic and considered the "perfect" attempt. Later gains a powered up form (Titan Metal Sonic) and a rocket form (Sonic the Fighters), self-upgrades its AI (Neo Metal Sonic) and gets a new powered up form in the process (Metal Overlord). After being defeated it reverts back to its original form and becomes Eggman's slave again.

Metal Sonic (Nega version): alternate reality/possible future incarnation of Metal built by Eggman Nega.

Mecha Sonic: used as a replacement for Metal in S&K. Instead of salvaging it later on, Eggman simply decided to salvage Metal instead.

Silver Sonic II: successor to Silver Sonic.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:05 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Pretty sure every Metal Sonic besides the Nega one are the same one.

I don't know, I thought I saw something say they were on one of these wikis when I was looking around at this stuff. Maybe it was this, but I thought I saw something that said so more explicitly.

That's why I'm asking here. XP

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Meliden » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:06 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Pretty sure every Metal Sonic besides the Nega one are the same one.

It's linked to Adventure where there was a Mecha Sonic in the tube as a cameo and Archie used it as a basis for their own bot that they dubbed Silver Sonic MKII. The issue is kind of muddled because I think every classic robot Sonic that isn't Metal Sonic is called Mecha Sonic officially, we just recognise it more by the comic name. It might just as easily be a direct follow from the Mecha Sonic in Sonic 2 (called Silver Sonic in the comic) because the S&K Mecha Sonic doesn't match the aesthetic of the one in Adventure at all.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:08 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:

I don't know, I thought I saw something say they were on one of these wikis when I was looking around at this stuff. Maybe it was this, but I thought I saw something that said so more explicitly.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

>Sonic News Network.

Yep. Pinch of salt, buddy.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Or maybe it was this?

TheFatPanda wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

>Sonic News Network.

Yep. Pinch of salt, buddy.

Sure, fine. Like I said, everything I've seen and looked up has left me confused. I'm admittedly not as well-versed in Sonic as I am Mega Man or Mario, hence why I'm asking. ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:10 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Or maybe it was this?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Huh...okay. Dunno how they made that connection.

Guess it's plausible though...
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Excelhedge » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Wait I'm confused here.

Which cannon are you guys talking about here? Game? Comic? Cartoons?
Excelhedge
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:46 pm

This posts addresses multiple canons. I hope that's what you're looking for.

I've always assumed the Sonic Adventure tube robot was an upgraded form of Mecha Sonic from S&K, which was in turn an upgrade of Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2. Admittedly, that's just because I link them story wise, Sonic Adventure clearly recalling the events of Metal Sonic in Sonic CD. Though if you separated the Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2 16-bit and the one from S&K, I don't think there'd be any continuity flubs. I'd connect the tube robot from Adventure with the Sonic 2 version if that's what you wanted to go with.

Sega Metal Sonic was introduced in Sonic CD and is still used today. It has seen transformations in Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Heroes as mentioned.

I've also assumed Rocket Metal from Fighters is a separate version, seeing as it only appears in a cutscene and doesn't resemble Metal as he appears in Death Egg's Eye. I figured he filled the same role as Bokkun from Sonic X, since it just reports back information to Eggman. Though, the scene is pretty ambiguous, so I could see how people would think it belongs to Tails. It just depends how one reads the intro.

Metal Sonic 2.0 is an alternate costume for Metal from Sonic Rivals 2. Given the look of it and the naming scheme it uses, I think you could call it a prototype Nega used prior to 3.0's construction.

That's all game continuity of course, which may or may not hold true for post-reboot continuity.

Prior to reboot, the Archie continuity had one Metal Sonic (the Sega character) introduced in issue 25 and made various appearances until it's "death" in "Heart of the Hedgehog". Metal Sonic was named Mecha Sonic for whatever reason. Metal was brought back by Ian years later and renamed Shard as well as given a new color scheme to resemble 3.0.

The comics also utilized four other robotic Sonics prior to the time skip in "Home".

Pseudo-Sonic was a character incorporated from AOSTH. It was destroyed in "The Misfit Badniks Salty Soggy Sequel".

Silver Sonic (the Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2 16-bit) was introduced in the Sonic Quest mini-series and played the same role he had in his game counterpart. It was destroyed over the course of the story.

Silver Sonic II was introduced in issue 85 and was molded after the tube Mecha Sonic from Adventure. Shadow destroyed it I believe in issue 98.

Mecha Sonic is the name the comic gave to Sonic's robotized form that appeared in "Mecha Madness". Years later, Sonic would be robotized again (I think in issue like 116 or something?) and was given a new design that was more Terminator like in appearance.

Post time skip, Metal Sonic was reintroduced in "The Good the Bad and the Unknown" it, as well as several other models like it in subsequent stories, was destroyed at the end of the story. Shadow destroys another Metal in "System Shutdown". The Metal Sonic Troopers used in "System Reconfiguration" are of course based on the Neo Metal Sonic design from Sonic Heroes.

During Ian's run, his first Metal Sonic was introduced and destroyed during "Unburying the Hatchet", his second was introduced and destroyed during "Metal and Mettle" (alongside Metal Scourge).

His third was introduced in "Hedgehog Havoc" which was transported into Blaze's world by Shadow for the first issue of Universe. This one became Captain Metal.

His fourth was introduced in "Two Steps Back" alongside Silver Sonic III which had been introduced in 225. Sonic destroyed both by issues end with Silver Sonic III becoming a random threat Eggman would use on occasion.

His fifth was introduced as part of Sally's Mecha team in "Lost in the Moment". This issue also had Titan Metal Sonic, a new robot based on the Metal Sonic Kai design from Knuckles Chaotix (in the games and comic's adaptation it was Metal Sonic transformed). Titan Metal was destroyed by Naugus with it's remains reanimated by the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra in issue 242. The Metal Sonic introduced in this issue would bomb Antoine in "Unthinkable", immediately getting replaced.

The sixth Metal Sonic under Ian went through the events of "Scrambled". It would ultimately fight Shard in "Forged in Fire" where it was destroyed.

The seventh Metal Sonic introduced at the end of "Forged in Fire" appeared in "Worlds Collide" and "Countdown to Chaos". It is now the Sega canon version of Metal Sonic which as far as we know follows the events of the game.

Silver Sonic III (now a sub-boss for the Egg Army) is the only other robot Sonic besides Metal confirmed in post-reboot Archie. "Champions" confirms the Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2 8-bit was around at some point in the past.

That's and the information mentioned earlier covers all the robot Sonics in the Sega and Archie continuities. AOSTH had Pseudo-Sonic, as previously mentioned, while SatAM, Underground, and Sonic X didn't feature robot Sonics. The OVA had one Metal Sonic (the dub refers to it as "Hyper Metal Sonic"), and if the various iterations of Boom are all connected continuity wise another single Metal Sonic exists in that continuity.

Then there are the other continuities like Fleetway (Metallix, Brotherhood of Metallix) and the adventure books (Zonik I believe?) but I'm not familiar enough with them to try and get into that.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Oh, and there's Sonic Man coming up technically. But that's so different that it's probably not hard to lose track of that one. Unless you confuse it with the non-robotic Sonic Man.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Excelhedge wrote:Wait I'm confused here.

Which cannon are you guys talking about here? Game? Comic? Cartoons?

Yes.

Basically, anything we're likely to see in the new comic continuity, which seems primarily derived from the games, but also features elements of the cartoons.

So, that means I threw Pseudo Sonic in as well, but everything else is from the games, which is the main thing I'm trying to hash out here.

GentlemanX: Okay, that helps a bit... though I was keeping away from pre-reboot stuff for the moment because that's clearly a massive mess of its own.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:25 am

in America, the robot Sonics that you fight at the end of both versions of Sonic 2 were called Silver Sonic, and the one from Sonic & Knuckles was called Mecha Sonic, but in Japan they were all called Mecha Sonic. only Metal Sonic had a different name/identity and only he's been recurring in the post-Classic era, with the exception of Metal Sonic 3.0, which was made by Nega and has a different color scheme

going by what we've seen so far from the reboot, it seems that what Ian's doing with the comics is using the Silver Sonic from 16-bit Sonic 2 as a giant mindless robot that Eggman rebuilds as necessary, and Metal Sonic is still serving the purpose he usually serves. whether "Mecha" Sonic will ever come back into play remains to be seen
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Promethean0416 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:17 am

Does this Mecha count too? :P

Spoiler: show
Promethean0416
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:31 am

Hm... this thread got me thinking: could Ian reintroduce Silver Sonic II? After all, it is technically a game character
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 am

Doubt he would considering Silver Sonic MKIII is running around now. Maybe we'll see it in original flashbacks since it never got use in the games.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius